Astro photography

Andy is off-line
31 October 2014 16:50
photostore
Photographer
photostore
Fife
fife based, but Scotland wide

Anyone into this, always fancied a telescope and decided now is as good a time as any, limited budget of about £250.00 any info much appreciated
lets get shootin

Linz Gelsthorpe is off-line
01 November 2014 16:26
Linpics
Photographer

Nottinghamshire
Mansfield

Not my forté but this link may be of use

http://www.meteorwatch.org/telescopes-beginners-easy-guide-review/

Gary Newton is off-line
01 November 2014 17:55
oceanova
Photographer
oceanova
Essex

I've been having a dabble recently using my dslr kit and come up with surprising results

http://windowintime.co.uk/astrophotography/

Dominic Thurmer is off-linePlatinum Member
02 November 2014 04:24
dominicdgt
Photographer
dominicdgt
Kent
Gillingham

I've dabbled over the years, as a youngster a 30x tripod telescope got me interested and when I had the money I bought an 8" reflector, the type you look through a viewing piece attached on the side. Back then I bought a T2 mount to attach a film camera, results were poor and despite a reasonable magnification the view you got was limiting.

I then went down fixed prime telephoto route a couple of years ago with Astronomy in mind, buying a Nikon 800mm and 2X converter attached to a 36MP camera, even with that range, to put it in context the moon doest fill the frame, I can send you some Facebook links to pictures though I have taken, both telephoto and wide angle.

Your problem really is the budget you suggest won't get you any closer to celestial objects than a basic kit lens zoom, I'd search EBay as loads of people realise the limitations of the kit they bought and sell it on. I know I spent more on a single eye piece back in the day and realistically even a £1000.00 today won't get you great results. It's all about the quality of light you can capture, people who sell you gear based on magnification are really scamming you to buy into a dream that won't work. Unfortunately this hobby is 100% akin to photography in that nothing really comes cheap if you are expecting great results.

You might be better finding an enthusiastic astronomer or local group to you, who'd let you attach your camera to their set up. I know when I had the big telescope (now hidden away in the loft) I shot myself in the foot slightly when I bought a simple star gazers computer programme. I actually had more fun with it zooming in on the planets, stars and solar systems and an guessing the net could pretty much do the same thing now.

Dominic.

Andy is off-line
02 November 2014 11:00
photostore
Photographer
photostore
Fife
fife based, but Scotland wide

Thanks guys, Dominic, i'm shooting on a 5d mkii and the biggest zoom i have is a 200mm f1.8 L lens, so would i be just as well buying a 2x converter rather than the telescope ?
Andy
lets get shootin

Dominic Thurmer is off-linePlatinum Member
02 November 2014 13:07
dominicdgt
Photographer
dominicdgt
Kent
Gillingham

You don't need a fast lens as you can get away with 20-25 second exposures before the earths rotation kicks in, In terms of zoom, you wont see planets with detail even if you find saturn or Mars, 400mm isn't going to do much, I had my 800mm on a X2 converter on a crop lens at one stage, in theory pushing 2000mm, then you have to use delayed timer, mirror up, heavy weight tripod, etc. the process takes time to set up and adjust as you go, I found better more pleasing results with a 14mm at F8, but the lazy bod I can be I only did it out the back garden where I should have travelled out to a more rural location,

But yes a 2X converter would have more effect and offer you more for you photography anyway, I've got Kenco? Sigma & Nikon versions they all have slight optical issues if you really peek at the results and here you'll be trying to crop the S**t out of the image to get something half decent.

See link.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10201249294422262&set=a.1134091520334.2019331.1468685866&type=1&theater

Dominic

Steven Jardine is off-linePlatinum Member
02 November 2014 13:21
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

Not really helpful to the OP's question but I had a play with one of these at last years photo show in the NEC. One hell of a lens and obsolutely razor sharp from what I saw in the images on the back of the camera and its mount can even take 645 cameras. The price made my eyes water though.

http://www.vixenoptics.com/refractors/VSD.html

When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. All of your pain is felt by others. The same thing happens when you are stupid.

Matthew G is off-line
02 November 2014 13:24
MG
Photographer
MG
Warwickshire

Remember the 500 rule when shooting astrophotography. 500 / focal length = maximum exposure without forming a star trail. i.e.. 500 / 20mm lens = 25 second exposure on a full frame. Don't forget a 20mm is a 30 mm on a Nikon Cropped and 32mm on a Canon cropped.

Bill Haley is off-lineSilver Member
03 November 2014 13:34
pompeytog
Photographer
pompeytog
Hampshire
Portsmouth

Quote from RedChecker
Not really helpful to the OP's question but I had a play with one of these at last years photo show in the NEC. One hell of a lens and obsolutely razor sharp from what I saw in the images on the back of the camera and its mount can even take 645 cameras. The price made my eyes water though. http://www.vixenoptics.com/refractors/VSD.html

Some amazing images on that link, thanks for sharing Red
How hard can it be?

David Kirk is off-line
03 November 2014 14:44
DKirk
Photographer

Glasgow
Glasgow

If you're out this way, pop into Merchant City Cameras or you could pop them an email. But this is within your budget http://www.merchantcitycameras.com/optical/telescopes/sky-watcher/3210-sky-watcher-explorer-130p-telescope-with-eq2-mount

29 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
chosin Cody ElleLaura Pebbles40 REDXXX zavego
63jian akwaaba antoinewynn bob22 BobWright bradder claypaws geoffmarchant lify metro mghphoto oro Paul_Jones pensophoto philippahh Pjsphotos Rscott360 skinz stephenmuddell stevegosh supaglam
Dlzanglfan32
matt