Reminder Secure

A Question for Experienced Darkroom Buffs….

Anthonygh is off-line
30 October 2014 15:10
anthonyh
Photographer

Kent

Anyone have any experience of using two bath compensating developers such as Diafine? If so, was it worth it?

I tend to stick with D-76 / ID-11. I currently have a lot of out of date HP5 and it shows a fine fog in the clear none exposed areas (spaces between exposures for example) and the negs are consequently low contrast. However, they scan OK so not a serious problem. I was wondering however if something like Diafine would make the fog situation better or worse.

Also…anyone know any alternatives to Diafine? There used to be quite a few back in the day, but can’t trace any at the moment.

Peter Mills is off-line
30 October 2014 16:32
PeterMills
Photographer

Surrey

Tetenal Emofin is a two bath developer and still available on their own website. It's also available through Ag Photographic,Firstcall and Silverprint.

In the past I've found Silverprint to be extremely helpful with any technical queries you may have.

Hope this helps!

Anthonygh is off-line
30 October 2014 16:46
anthonyh
Photographer

Kent

I have decided to give it (Diafine) a go.....anyone know who stocks it in the UK?

Razoir is off-line
31 October 2014 13:34
JeromeRazoir
Photographer
JeromeRazoir
Devon
Crediton

Try Ag Photographic or Silverprint. Both have websites.
Who but a jazz man would say of Bridget Bardot, "Man, what key is she in?"

RGBphoto is off-lineSilver Member
31 October 2014 14:15
magpie1
Photographer

Tyne and Wear
Newcastle

Its the "out of date" that is responsible for the fog level! And if the film was stored unrefrigerated throughout then that would exacerbate the fog level. Both ID-11 and D76 are low fog level developers, they have quite a lot of sodium sulphite in to help with that, and they are not 'aggressive' speed enhancing formulae. Try another developer, by all means but the decrease in fog level, if any, will be minimal.

Anthonygh is off-line
31 October 2014 15:51
anthonyh
Photographer

Kent

This nicely describes my film:

Refrigerating camera films reduces the photographic effects of long-term storage, but refrigeration cannot reduce the effects of ambient gamma radiation. Naturally occurring gamma radiation increases the D-min and toe densities and also increases grain. Higher speed films are affected more by gamma radiation than lower speed films. A camera film with an EI (Exposure Index) of 800 has a much greater change than an EI 200 film. Exposed and unprocessed film that has been properly refrigerated retains the speed and contrast of the exposure conditions, but the overall D-min, toe and grain will continue to increase.

The film has been kept in a freezer for years but a freezer won't stop gamma rays unfortunately. I don't really expect Diafine to improve on D-76 but I am interested in giving it a go because of the supposed properties of 2 bath developer (deving different speed films in the same tank for example).

Despite trawling the web I can't track down any suppliers.....but I did find some pretty cheap D-76 so bought several packets!!

RGBphoto is off-lineSilver Member
31 October 2014 16:07
magpie1
Photographer

Tyne and Wear
Newcastle

How old is the film! There are a number of 2 bath developer formulae around, if you can't buy proprietary packs. Raw chemistry used to be fairly easy to get, but not now. The previously mentioned, by others, Ag and Silverprint might be able to supply what you need. If you are mixing yourself, you'll need access to accurate scales.

Anthonygh is off-line
31 October 2014 19:35
anthonyh
Photographer

Kent

The film 'expired' 10 yrs ago. I have considered mixing my own (I did it as a school boy decades ago) and I did find a place that sold chemicals years ago but can't seem to find it again. Will keep on searching but I know Silverprint sells raw chemicals.....

16 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
entity Exoticangel Little_lizard prettypolly
ad360photo david1500 dazglam djb1 Dphphotography Kjoservices Rhadamanthus rob_s57 steveh32 SteveSJS55 thelook Willy_O