Reminder Secure

Field day invited, boot filling welcome.

This thread is being watched by 1 person
19 October 2014 19:23
PaulManuell
Photographer

I was initially going to ask which of the 2 same images of Raynebeaux I should keep, the colour one or the b&w one. But sod it, I've been on here long enough now to be ripped to pieces, so please feel free to comment on all my photos.

Hugh Spence is off-line
20 October 2014 04:59
StNeots
Photographer
StNeots
Bedfordshire
Potton

My least favourite image. The high sun and low viewpoint accentuates every wrinkle and pore. I know some members here don't like skin smoothing and it can be overdone, but this one cries out for it.

This was  your first image and you shot this one in diffused light. I think it is one of your best, if not the best.

Idea tells a story - I'm not sure the wrinkles in the clothes quite pull it off. Most hitch-hikers stand at the side of the road so that they don't get hit by cars coming up behind them and this makes this one look odd, though it took me a minute to realise why.

20 October 2014 05:30
PaulManuell
Photographer

Thank you for your input. Ref. the comment on the model's skin; totally agree, it does show every pore. Unfortunately I only use film and don't own a computer (mobile internet only), so all my images are as they come out of the camera I'm afraid, no editing, other than sometimes a bit of lightening or darkening or b&w conversion, all done by the shop where I have my films developed. Ref. the model's position in the road; from memory, not much further along it behind the car was a llarge car park which would've been visible in the shot had she/we been standing close to the edge. I take your point though, most hitch hikers wouldn't be in the middle of the road. Thanks again.

Profile Pictures is off-line
20 October 2014 17:14
profilepictures
Photographer
profilepictures
Suffolk
Bury St Edmunds

I think you should drop the analogue fig leaf, go digital, make more pictures get more practice. There's hints of thoughtfulness hidden amongst cheese and layers of dull. 2009 until now is plenty of time to see if you'll be any good at photography, but perhaps not if you don't shoot too much.

Digital, dare you.

20 October 2014 18:46
PaulManuell
Photographer

Quote from profilepictures
I think you should drop the analogue fig leaf, go digital, make more pictures get more practice. There's hints of thoughtfulness hidden amongst cheese and layers of dull. 2009 until now is plenty of time to see if you'll be any good at photography, but perhaps not if you don't shoot too much.

Digital, dare you.

Umm, not a clue what the analogue fig leaf is all about, but I think I get the gist of the rest of your post: you think most of my photos are cheesy and dull and that I should go digital, yeah? Well yes, I have to agree with the dull and cheesy part. As for going digital; that'll be a no. Not cos of some sort of romanticism about using film, but purely cos it really does baffle me. Tiffs, jpegs, megathises, gigathats, white balance; all stuff I see written in camera mags but might as well be Arabic for all it means to me. Plus, despite the dullness and cheese I churn out, I actually do enjoy using my heavy old film equipment. But cheers for your input, much appreciated.

Steven Jardine is off-linePlatinum Member
21 October 2014 06:32
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

Quote from PaulManuell
Umm, not a clue what the analogue fig leaf is all about

He's saying you should just bite the bullet and embrace digital (as your profile states you only use film as digital baffles you).
When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. All of your pain is felt by others. The same thing happens when you are stupid.

21 October 2014 08:25
PaulManuell
Photographer

Quote from RedChecker
He's saying you should just bite the bullet and embrace digital (as your profile states you only use film as digital baffles you).

I'd sussed he suggests I go digital, it's just the fig leaf reference I don't get. Seems I'm very easily baffled.

21 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
Amazonian_chub AnnThompson hanmoda2 Henryjohn
Blancho djb1 dorrian eosfan James7799 Ladiesman marty55uk mike0048 Mitch44 mlp modelboutique neild orca_photography poah Studio1910 TinDolls vicpics