Reminder Secure

accountants

06 October 2014 10:06
brookscott
Model

Hi all,
I'm looking for an independent accountant in the Cheshire area anyone know of someone? If not any advice on how to find a good one?

Thanks in advance.

salfordtog is off-line
09 October 2014 02:34
salfordtog
Photographer

Greater Manchester

Brook,

If you want a straight forward accountant - I presume you want someone just to do tax returns - then they all are pretty similar . I have a business with a good turnover and we use a franchise for our accountants . We have a separate IFA for tax advice etc . They arent expensive . If your looking for something more complex then you need to decide how much you want to pay for the advice. I know plenty but your looking at £300.00 an hr

which part of Cheshire and I will see if a guy I know in Wilmslow would be good for you

Will

marlham is off-line
09 October 2014 05:39
marlhamphoto
Photographer
This member has been reset to pending
marlhamphoto
Kent
Canterbury

Quite honestly I wouldn't touch a franchise with a bargepole. They're notorious for using unqualified and untrained staff to push out work as quickly as possible which sooner or later leads to problems.

If I were you I'd telephone a few local independents and ask what they charge to prepare and submit a basic tax return for a self-employed freelancer. It might be useful for them to know what your anticipated turnover is likely to be in a full year and roughly how many transactions you incur per month. If they can't give you a quote over the phone then just ring the next one. I don't expect you'll find a reputable accountant offering basic tax returns for much less than £120 +VAT but you might want to use that as a fee guide.

If you're worried about deadlines 31st October only applies to people who want HM Revenue & Customs to calculate the tax due for them. If you employ an accountant they will calculate the tax so the deadline is 31st January. Don't leave it until the last minute though - accountants get flooded with work from December through January.

Chrissie Red is off-line
09 October 2014 07:06
Chrissie_Red
Model
Chrissie_Red
Tayside
Perthshire

This is quite a neat article on finding an accountant - what to look for in an accountant and how much roughly you should expect to pay - it is only a year old so their figures won't be "too far" off the mark.

http://www.theguardian.com/money/2013/jan/12/find-accountant-tax-return-how-much-pay

If its for your modelling income and you are a bit unsure about doing it yourself then it might be a good idea to contact HMRC and see if they have any of the one day courses they put on local to you. I was offered this when I first went self employed - they just basically go over how to fill it out which makes it much less daunting.

Good luck

xx

09 October 2014 07:39
brookscott
Model

Thanks for the advice and the links, it's not just my modelling money that I want an accountant for I have a few different incomes which to be honest I don't want the hassle of sorting out myself I'd much rather just pay someone and know that it is being done properly.

phlip  (as in, flip) is off-lineGold Member
09 October 2014 09:11
phlip
Photographer

Worcestershire
Nr. Kidderminster

I am involved in a few business interests and, contrary to the belief of some, the accountant we now use - a franchisee for Tax Assist is the best of 4 we have used over the last 20+ years.

salfordtog is off-line
09 October 2014 09:22
salfordtog
Photographer

Greater Manchester

Strangely that is who we are with - as I have a close friend who is a Partner in a top 10 firm I could have used them, but as he said why spend the cash.

Couldnt be better for our business

Just find a person you like

marlham is off-line
09 October 2014 10:02
marlhamphoto
Photographer
This member has been reset to pending
marlhamphoto
Kent
Canterbury

Quote from salfordtog
Strangely that is who we are with - as I have a close friend who is a Partner in a top 10 firm I could have used them, but as he said why spend the cash. Couldnt be better for our business Just find a person you like

Funnily enough I have a close personal friend too who's also an ex colleague. He's a qualified accountant and was previously employed by a franchise firm - I'll let you surmise which one. The franchise owner had no meaningful qualifications and little accountancy or tax knowledge. Despite that my friend, the qualified accountant, was continuously ignored or overruled whenever he expressed his concerns about the standard of work being churned out and the lack of basic checking/compliance. In the end he had to walk out because he felt his own professional standards were being compromised which might result in him losing his qualifications. He took the franchisee to an Industrial Tribunal - the guy decided to settle out-of-court on the morning of the hearing. That was 18 months to 2 years ago.

But don't take my word for it - talk to any accountant who has a franchise outfit operating in his area and many will relate the horror stories which have to be sorted out when the client eventually realises that things aren't right and decides to move on. Or just subscribe to one of the industry forums.

I'm glad you guys are happy - clearly some franchise owners might be better than others and it's unfair to taint everyone with the same brush. Nevertheless I won't be changing my general advice which is to steer well clear of them.

Chrissie Red is off-line
09 October 2014 11:39
Chrissie_Red
Model
Chrissie_Red
Tayside
Perthshire

Quote from brookscott
Thanks for the advice and the links, it's not just my modelling money that I want an accountant for I have a few different incomes which to be honest I don't want the hassle of sorting out myself I'd much rather just pay someone and know that it is being done properly.

I don't blame you

I think I would do the same if I had various incomes!

Hope you find somebody good/within budget soon

x

2 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
dhuntuk eclipsephoto