Reminder Secure

Photographing passing traffic

Jonathan is off-line
06 October 2014 02:49
SandyCamel
Photographer
SandyCamel
Nottinghamshire

Are there any problems / concerns that any-one can identify please I wonder  if a photographer stands by the side of a road,  photographing passing traffic ?

I am thinking that the pavement and road would be a public place, so no permission as such would be required ?

The only concerns I can think of is that it might be 'distracting drivers attention' just by being there (although no flash lights etc would be used) and that some people may be suspicious and resent this.

On the other hand I am thinking of 'fast moving traffic' - on a straight road where no-one can stop or do a U turn etc !

Any-way, I would be really grateful for any comments you may have about this.

Thanks as always.

Jonathan.

Relax, take it easy and float down-stream with the Sandy Camel

AlletunYL is off-line
06 October 2014 03:25
AlletunYL
Photographer

London

No,it's completely legal. I have done this before. Although if people complain you can always be warned, cautioned or convicted for Harassment, alarm and distress, as with any type of street photography :-)

Jonathan is off-line
06 October 2014 04:33
SandyCamel
Photographer
SandyCamel
Nottinghamshire

Quote from AlletunYL
No,it's completely legal. I have done this before. Although if people complain you can always be warned, cautioned or convicted for Harassment, alarm and distress, as with any type of street photography :-)

Thank you for summing it up so well ! 

marlham is off-line
06 October 2014 05:21
marlhamphoto
Photographer
This member has been reset to pending
marlhamphoto
Kent
Canterbury

Just get a suitable disguise in order not to draw attention to yourself:

http://webmbassy.com/04348

Steven Jardine is off-linePlatinum Member
06 October 2014 05:49
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

Be prepared for drivers to beep, shout foul language, spit, swerve or throw cups of coffee at you.
When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. All of your pain is felt by others. The same thing happens when you are stupid.

Jonathan is off-line
06 October 2014 06:25
SandyCamel
Photographer
SandyCamel
Nottinghamshire

Honestly - you all did make me laugh !

I think it is perhaps not one of my better ideas lol !

Oliver Cook is off-line
06 October 2014 06:57
artistoli
Photographer
artistoli
Malta

Quote from RedChecker
Be prepared for drivers to beep, shout foul language, spit, swerve or throw cups of coffee at you.

They do that to me when I walk down the road anyway. 

Steve Guy is off-line
06 October 2014 08:05
Sdeve
Photographer

Derbyshire
Derby

Quote from AlletunYL

It would need more than this to be convicted or cautioned. as for a police warning, usually not worth the paper it's written on.

Steven Jardine is off-linePlatinum Member
06 October 2014 08:21
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

Quote from Sdeve
It would need more than this to be convicted or cautioned.

As long as someone has complained, the police are duty-bound to follow it up regardless of how petty it seems to be.

There's also a good chance that if someone has complained they'll likely have exaggerated their concerns (eg. saying you're blasting flash at cars, even though you're not.... I had something similar shooting in a tube station once), and so you've got an uphill struggle on your hands trying to convince the police otherwise.
When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. All of your pain is felt by others. The same thing happens when you are stupid.

Steve Guy is off-line
06 October 2014 08:44
Sdeve
Photographer

Derbyshire
Derby

Quote from RedChecker
As long as someone has complained, the police are duty-bound to follow it up regardless of how petty it seems to be.

There's also a good chance that if someone has complained they'll likely have exaggerated their concerns (eg. saying you're blasting flash at cars, even though you're not.... I had something similar shooting in a tube station once), and so you've got an uphill struggle on your hands trying to convince the police otherwise.

There is a huge step between the police 'following things up' and a conviction or caution (the same thing in practice, except you have to admit an offence to get a caution, and then you get a CRO number for life). Shooting in a tube station is not shooting in a public place, and British Transport Police have access to a lot of railway by laws that do not apply to street photography.

In practical terms any confrontation with the police can be avoided by not spending too long at the location because they will not give priority to a call about a man standing by the roadside with a camera. I cannot see that this could ever be a real problem for the photographer, unless he is also going to be doing something that has not yet been mentioned that is at least stupid if not dangerous.

People should never be afraid of speaking to the police.

Officer: "What are you doing here, Sir?" (The word 'Sir' is included in case you get one of the few polite ones)

Tog: "I'm taking photographs of cars and this road."

Officer: "Why are you doing that, Sir?"

Tog: "Because I want to, and because I can. If you like you can stand up the road a bit and I'll take pictures of the cars, the road, and a police officer. Otherwise, please leave me alone as you are distracting me from a perfectly lawful occupation."

Smile at the nice officer then turn your back and get on with what you were doing. Leave your voice recorder running until he clears off.

25 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
bonni_cuffs chandni23 chloejade25 Lilly_69 Natalie120525 poppylapilule zavego
ad360photo Blancho cwillyshootit djb1 ellessephotography gordon Kjoservices liteangle mlp modelboutique peteb redmedia rod_m99 Rtnphotography scottmcccxiv Steveh32 thelook
harbourstudio