Carpe Diem is off-line
01 October 2014 07:49
Carpe_Diem
Photographer
Carpe_Diem
Suffolk
Ipswich

Hi

Can anyone recommend a diy store that sells sheet wall covering, something that can be taken down or layed upon say brick or marble effect ect.?
A couple of 8 by 4 sheets would be plenty
No wall paper or fabric

Many thanks

redbaron is onlineSilver Member
01 October 2014 09:09
redbaron
Photographer
redbaron
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

I take it by DIY you mean super stingy cheap.

About the only thing I have come across that would fit that bill is B&Q Vinyl floor covering or similar. I know they do or did a silver chequer plate version that I once used for this purpose and no doubt there are other styles too.
Photography and Studio hire www.immortaleye.co.uk

Andy Johnstone is off-line
01 October 2014 10:01
photomane9
Photographer
photomane9
London
Bexleyheath

Two suggestions. The first is to apply a suitable wallpaper to a board (such as a sheet of 6mm ply) as shown on the right of the image below. And the second idea is to use large interlocking  laminated flooring panels, again fixed to a substrate such as ply, as shown on the left of the picture. In fact for this shoot, the flooring panels were not permanently fixed to the substrate, but were clamped to it along one edge, out of shot.   

If you  decide to go with the paper on ply option, lay the ply panels edge to edge, and apply the wallpaper right across both sheets, matching up the pattern. Then once the paste is dry, run a razor blade or craft knife along the gap between the ply sheets, so that  when the sheets are used subsequently, the pattern can always be matched thus minimisimg the chances of a gap or mismatch showing.

Carpe Diem is off-line
01 October 2014 10:25
Carpe_Diem
Photographer
Carpe_Diem
Suffolk
Ipswich

Thanks
Nice picture but am looking for more texture

I've done the wall paper & ply malarky, I'm a messy bugger

Not stingy just don't want to go spending £100's
Should have added lino and carpet to the no list
Used several styles of lino/carpet numerous times, due to weight have always nailed them up at a cost of around £80 + and then end up giving it away once I'm bored with it. Same goes with laminate flooring, easy with a nail gun but wasteful

redbaron is onlineSilver Member
01 October 2014 11:51
redbaron
Photographer
redbaron
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

Better to forget the DIY stores in that case then and take a look at some poper studio backdrops. One supplier is Click Props http://www.clickprops.co.uk, who do a huge range of good quality backdrops. What I like is they are all fitted with eyelets too so a few 'L' hooks at the right height and you can swap them out in a moment. I have a number in the studio. They work well and simply roll up and store away in a clear tube when not in use.

I also purchased a background from this guy on Ebay last year. Printed on a sort of woven vinyl table cloth material for lack of a better description and came folded, which meant having to iron out creases. Downside is you will need to pin them up (I used drawing pins as the material is quite light) but the printing and finish is pretty good and for the price may be worth a punt. I will probably get another at some stage.

Photography and Studio hire www.immortaleye.co.uk

Andy Johnstone is off-line
01 October 2014 15:05
photomane9
Photographer
photomane9
London
Bexleyheath

OK I know this store is in New York so not exactly in your neighbourhood, but they stock marble effect formica in 4' x 8' sheets, so presumably other places a bit closer should do also. http://setshop.com/photo-backgrounds/marbles

Carpe Diem is off-line
02 October 2014 10:29
Carpe_Diem
Photographer
Carpe_Diem
Suffolk
Ipswich

Quote from redbaron

I also purchased a background from this guy on Ebay last year. Printed on a sort of woven vinyl table cloth material for lack of a better description and came folded, which meant having to iron out creases. Downside is you will need to pin them up (I used drawing pins as the material is quite light) but the printing and finish is pretty good and for the price may be worth a punt. I will probably get another at some stage.

Not quite what I was looking for but will try a couple of these out
Now, wondering if they could get them to me by Monday? (just kidding but you know what it's like)

Carpe Diem is off-line
02 October 2014 10:30
Carpe_Diem
Photographer
Carpe_Diem
Suffolk
Ipswich

Thanks for all the input fellas

PeterB is off-lineGold Member
03 October 2014 16:44
pvfb
Photographer
pvfb
Surrey
Hampton Court

You could try shower wall panels, sometimes called wetboard (well my builder calls them that), apparently they are available in a number of sizes up to "8x4". We're about to do the shower in the new studio and this is what we are using rather than tiling.

33 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
CJ2015B DareMeDD evajohnson MissCaraJane QueenDeeVa01 RoxyMendez Sammy_Louise
BOBREEVES chicimages copperbronze DabImagery Daveinsurrey gerry99111 goZzee hylander JRFox Kjoservices mikehemmings modelboutique moritz78 myp55 Opalapertures orca_photography PhilWinterbourne redbaron robhillphoto snappychap sniffer stevegosh Stevew1 thelook TinDolls
matt