Reminder Secure

What editing hardware/software do you use ???? MAc or PC ? What's your work flow ?

CSD Images is off-line
30 September 2014 20:48
CSD_Images
Photographer
CSD_Images
Grampian
Aberdeen

RedChecker,

If you're future proofing then you should be looking at NVMe insteaed of RAID, of course if money was no object you'd RAID two NVMe but there'd be little point in real world usage. SSDs as we know them will gradually be phased out in favour of either SATA-Express or the PCI m.2, with the m.2 (and NVMe for workstation/server) replacing the older SATA based controllers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NVM_Express

RAID is increasingly becoming obsolete, at least in regards to data throughput and tends to only be used for drive redundancy/uptime scenarios.
www.flickr.com/photos/csd_images | www.celticshadows.co.uk

Steven Jardine is off-linePlatinum Member
01 October 2014 00:59
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

I'll happily boot a machine from an SSD but I don't want SSDs as my main data store... too expensive for serious sizes (I'd want ~10TB+ as a 'live' data store with current projects on), hence striping (say) three or four mechanical drives together not only for the size but to attain SSD-like throughput (OK, so I won't get the seek times but I'm opening large files sequentially so this doesn't matter) but with more than enough free space to tinker around without worrying about constantly archiving work.

Any 'future proofing' I'd do would simply be for covering my arse for memory or storage capacity requirements. I've learned the hard way that you simply cannot keep up with evolving hardware developments and I'm not prepared to pay a premium for new technology.
When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. All of your pain is felt by others. The same thing happens when you are stupid.

JHD is off-line
01 October 2014 17:54
Astphoto
Photographer

Merseyside

Wow,I prefer to concentrate on my photography. Which is probably the reason I can pay someone else to worry about the technical stuff...

18 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
alishaa chosin DanielleWxx natalie120525 Sophiadelane
bob chriscooze claypaws Dandelion david1500 dorrian Essexjohn frankpht gazzer59 Kjoservices mike0048 sandycamel
matt