Reminder Secure

What editing hardware/software do you use ???? MAc or PC ? What's your work flow ?

www.jonathantennantphotography.co.uk is off-lineSilver Member
27 September 2014 03:48
jonathantennant
Photographer

Surrey
chertsey

Just wondered what everyone else uses and what spec you PC / Mac is.
I spent 10 years editing on a PC then went over to Apple four years ago and haven't looked back. I wasn't really into computers so had no idea what to go for so went for a 'low spec' iMac with 4g bit RAM ….. Been happy but realised it was becoming quite slow so went to PC world and asked if the iMac could be upgraded to improve it's speed…. 'No' was the answer ! Yea I'm still not into computers but thought I'd investigate and found out that I could increase the Ram easily and cheaply. So my iMac now has 12g bit of Ram and it seems a lot quicker.
I've also discovered Photomechanic ….. It's not an editing software but if you have many hundreds of images that require captioning ( key wording, model release data, etc ) it's great.

I

HowardJ is off-line
27 September 2014 05:39
HowardJ
Photographer
HowardJ
Surrey
West Midlands

iMacs are a bit funny when it comes to upgradeability. With the current iMac line I think only the 27" models have user upgradeable RAM. The same goes for macbook airs and I think the Mac book pros where they've soldered the RAM onto the motherboard, so its hard to upgrade. Hopefully you bought your extra RAM from somewhere like crucial.com rather than PC world or Apple direct.

PCs are much more upgradeable.

CSD Images is off-line
27 September 2014 05:52
CSD_Images
Photographer
CSD_Images
Grampian
Aberdeen

Without getting into the Mac Vs PC debate I use a PC as it's quicker and easier to upgrade your computers. Currently I'm in the process of rebuilding my IT kit and this is what's being planned over the next 4 months:

Primary workstation is going to be built around this:

Intel Core i7-5930K / Corsair Hydro Series H105
Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 / 32GB DDR4

This is mostly an upgrade to enable faster batch processing and editing as I tend to build a new workstation every 4-5 years. Long term it'll go up to 64Gb RAM when prices are more reasonable. Storage will be 2 x SSD (One primary and one cache) and a 4Tb storage drive. Back up and version control will be to a NAS. Which will be a Synology DS415+ with 4 x 3Tb RED drives. This will mean I'll be able to rebuild a machine in about 20min or so from a failed drive or restore individual files by mounting the OS VHD images when appropriate or pull data from the standard shares.

LAN is full 1Gb/e with a managed switch to allow for link aggregation and PoE.

Software will remain Adobe, mainly because I use the full suite of applications such as Illustrator, InDesign and Acrobat to complement Bridge/Photoshop.

Operating system will likely be Windows 8 and will allow me to sync my Surface settings to the main workstation. Plus Windows 8 is more multi-core/memory/power efficient than Win 7.
www.flickr.com/photos/csd_images | www.celticshadows.co.uk

Steven Jardine is off-linePlatinum Member
27 September 2014 09:23
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

If I won the lottery I'm having one of these, take particular note to the amount of RAM it can have (labelled as 'key feature' #2 to the right-hand side of the small photo of the motherboard) surprisecheeky 

(although for compatibility reasons I'd only have half of the maximum in due to Windows' memory limits)

When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. All of your pain is felt by others. The same thing happens when you are stupid.

Dave Beasley is off-line
27 September 2014 09:35
eosfan
Photographer
eosfan
Surrey
Guildford

MacPro with 16GB memory, 500GB HDD for MacOS, and 2 x 3TB disks for data storage/backup of data. Eizo 22" monitor (although saw some very nice 27" Eizo at Photokina)

Software is Lightroom 5

Dave

CSD Images is off-line
27 September 2014 10:00
CSD_Images
Photographer
CSD_Images
Grampian
Aberdeen

Quote from RedChecker
(although for compatibility reasons I'd only have half of the maximum in due to Windows' memory limits)

Just use Server 2012, that's got a max limit of 4Tb  

Photoshop seems to run happily on it, other programs sometimes have a hissy fit.

www.flickr.com/photos/csd_images | www.celticshadows.co.uk

Simon Chan is off-line
27 September 2014 10:10
Chandos
Photographer

Merseyside
Liverpool

Quote from RedChecker
If I won the lottery I'm having one of these, take particular note to the amount of RAM it can have (labelled as 'key feature' #2 to the right-hand side of the small photo of the motherboard)  

The poster ask "what editing hardware/software do you use?" not what you want to get if you won the lottery. If I won a lottery I wouldn't waste valuable time messing about with computers, I get someone to do all the work while I walk around my mansion in a pyjama with dozens of girlfriends like a certain Mr Hefner

Stu Buckland is off-line
28 September 2014 02:27
thestarglider
Photographer
thestarglider
Kent
Maidstone

Just to be pedantic, a Mac is also a PC. You are comparing operating systems, not hardware.

If you want to know hardware, then operating systems like Windows Vs. Mac is irrelevant as both can do the same thing.

Nevertheless, my hardware spec is:

Intel i5 3.5ghz Haswell core.
8Gb DDR3 RAM
Geforce 760GTX OC 2GB graphics card.
Crucial 512Gb SSD
22" LED Acer monitor.
Windows 7.

My machine goes like the clappers, I was very careful when building it to make sure that all the parts worked well together, the speed of the RAM is lightning fast, the SSD is probably the best 'new thing' for speed boosting and even for my gaming the PC doesn't even cough even slightly.

Stu Buckland is off-line
28 September 2014 03:11
thestarglider
Photographer
thestarglider
Kent
Maidstone

Quote from RedChecker
If I won the lottery I'm having one of these, take particular note to the amount of RAM it can have (labelled as 'key feature' #2 to the right-hand side of the small photo of the motherboard)  

Won't be problem if you use Windows Server 2012!

Steven Jardine is off-linePlatinum Member
28 September 2014 05:29
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

Quote from thestarglider
Won't be problem if you use Windows Server 2012!

As CSD says though... there's software that'll throw hissy fits using Windows Server, plus I couldn't be bothered with all of the administration overheads of it.  Windows Pro would do fine.
When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. All of your pain is felt by others. The same thing happens when you are stupid.

2 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
jonnywoo Njsphotography