Canon 7D mk II

Steven Jardine is off-linePlatinum Member
29 September 2014 01:05
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

If you know you'll be shooting in very good light (ie. low ISO), the original 7D is available for a bargain ~£700. It's AF is still pretty damn good from what I've heard (and I've been told better than the 1DIV after one of the firmware updates). Or at the very least would make an excellent, light-weight studio camera.

The beauty of the 7D (either version) for sports is twofold.... firstly due to the crop you get longer lenses (you can't crop a full-frame and get the same pixel density), and secondly the AF points cover a wider area of the frame compared to a crop body.
When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. All of your pain is felt by others. The same thing happens when you are stupid.

4EverYoung is off-line
30 September 2014 11:18
Midnite
Photographer
Midnite
Cambridgeshire
Peterborough

Sadly, often the venues appear to be very bright as people often point out to me.

The reality is the light is actually extremely poor, and when using shutter speeds around 1/500 min and 1/640th preferred and at apertures of at least 5.6/6.3. i am constantly pushing iso in the region of 2000 - 3200 which isn't fantastic.

I have never failed But i have discovered thousands of approches which don't work.

Profile Pictures is off-line
01 October 2014 08:59
profilepictures
Photographer
profilepictures
Suffolk
Bury St Edmunds

It's the ISO that interests me with the 7d2, I'd like to see done testing and gauge at which points it's useable. I think I saw it said it goes up to 16000? ( we'll ignore upwards expansions since they're all bullprofilepictures is a naughty person I feel) I can push the 6d to around 8000 if I really have to, I'm guessing it less with the smaller crop sensor? This might be a factor for those considering the new 7 against the 5d3, but it'd be good to see some side by side comparisons.

Paul Hodson is off-line
01 October 2014 09:57
mph
Photographer
mph
Cheshire
Crewe

Although I can see why they chose to call it 7D Mk II - when you look at the price it really is a different beast altogether from the Mk I

List price at launch for the MkI was around £1050 body only I think - compared with £1,600 for the MK II!

I know prices will drop - but that is a hell of a jump for the updated model - justified or not.

Quote from profilepictures
It's the ISO that interests me with the 7d2, I'd like to see done testing and gauge at which points it's useable. I think I saw it said it goes up to 16000? ( we'll ignore upwards expansions since they're all bullmph is a naughty person I feel) I can push the 6d to around 8000 if I really have to, I'm guessing it less with the smaller crop sensor? This might be a factor for those considering the new 7 against the 5d3, but it'd be good to see some side by side comparisons.

Try http://www.imaging-resource.com/IMCOMP/COMPS01.HTM

Edit!  Not so sure about the comparisons actually - as my 5D (Mk I) compared with the 6D at 1600 ISO is practically identical! (I wish)  I assume they have used a fair bit of noise reduction.
Amateur - happy to do TF with models with potential and enthusiasm. Website: www.mphodson.co.uk

4EverYoung is off-line
01 October 2014 12:21
Midnite
Photographer
Midnite
Cambridgeshire
Peterborough

Matt did a good review at photokina here is the link

http://mattgranger.com/7d2
I have never failed But i have discovered thousands of approches which don't work.

02 October 2014 07:37
tardis1000
Photographer

Canon have sat on their fat bottoms for far too long now while other companies are flying past them with all sorts of innovations and codecs. I bought a full frame camera as a back up (a d610) for under half the cost of the 7d II. And if you look at what Samsung are doing with the Nx1 with increased pixels, a back lit sensor, flip screen and blah blah, this is not a good time for Canon and slowly and surely they will lose market share, which in truth is already happening. I can't buy a crop sensor, it's just that if I crop already a cropped sensor view, then I'm losing too much. My Canon glass is sadly going to have to wait or find a new home with someone else.

Glasgow Photographer is online
02 October 2014 10:59
GlasgowPhotographer
Photographer
GlasgowPhotographer
Strathclyde
Glasgow

Had a try with the Samsung NX1 at Photokina. Very nice camera but not cheap. Throw in a couple of lenses and you are at the usual price range of Canon Nikon etc.

Had a play with the Mkll 7D - very nice camera but could only look at images on the back screen - no cards allowed to record what you were shooting. AF is very fast indeed. Selling my Mk lV an have pre-ordered the MKll for sports shooting.

Would have preferred an H sensor 1D type camera - not available, but you never know.
Regards, George http://www.monapics.com/html/blog.html

Steven Jardine is off-linePlatinum Member
02 October 2014 11:07
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

As much as other manufacturer's cameras are nice, can they compete with Canon when it comes to AF speed of its L series telephotos? Judging by the hordes of white lenses at major sports events I'd say not.

There's also service. Are you likely to have the likes of Samsung, Sony, Olympus & Fuji at major sporting events along with lens rental? Not that many people on here would be concerned but probably not so for now I think Canon's dominance in the sports photography field is fairly safe, despite the fact they seem to be dragging their knuckles compared to other manufacturers.
When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. All of your pain is felt by others. The same thing happens when you are stupid.

34 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
Ashleighmckenzie evelynnemarie lynnesel mandymack sarahjane1 Softgentle
A24udi Chazablake cliffc Dave@studio99 Essexjohn expicto firsttake geoffmarchant GlasgowPhotographer gwentman humphries jpegster kaosrox Ladiesman lenspoynter mauricesimagery p4pFetography Photokirk1 Rhadamanthus rscott360 stevebenson stevegosh steveh32 TerryXX99 thelook tlm151 two_stops westend_portfolios