• Full HD with slow motion capture
  • Intelligent Viewfinder II

Simon Chan is off-line
15 September 2014 14:02
Chandos
Photographer

Merseyside
Liverpool

Looks like an APS-C version of the 5DMkIII.
Personally I would have preferred it to be APS-H.

RGBphoto is off-lineSilver Member
15 September 2014 14:15
magpie1
Photographer

Tyne and Wear
Newcastle

Yes it looks quite tasty, obviously no images, from, rather than of yet, though doesn't stop resident numpties on DPreview reckon it's not up to much! The sensor is interesting and looks as if Canon aren't getting into 'numbers game' 20 Mp enough!the rumours that predicted 20Mp for 7Dii also predict 30 Mp for next FF.
I don't think APS-H makes too much of a case now, with ever increasing sensor quality, it needs FF lenses anyway so might as well cut out in between and go straight to FF.

Ellesse Photography is off-lineSilver Member
15 September 2014 14:19
EllessePhotography
Photographer
EllessePhotography
Edinburgh
Edinburgh

Quote from Chandos
Looks like an APS-C version of the 5DMkIII. Personally I would have preferred it to be APS-H.

+1

Simon Chan is off-line
15 September 2014 14:30
Chandos
Photographer

Merseyside
Liverpool

Quote from magpie1
Yes it looks quite tasty, obviously no images, from, rather than of yet, though doesn't stop resident numpties on DPreview reckon it's not up to much! The sensor is interesting and looks as if Canon aren't getting into 'numbers game' 20 Mp enough!the rumours that predicted 20Mp for 7Dii also predict 30 Mp for next FF.
I don't think APS-H makes too much of a case now, with ever increasing sensor quality, it needs FF lenses anyway so might as well cut out in between and go straight to FF.

APS-H makes more sense as the sensor size allows AF point coverage a lot better than FF and with the 10fps makes it an ideal sport/action camera hence why the old 1DMk4 was aim for sport. I feel the 7DMkII tries to fit in were the Canon APS-H camera left off but just feel a tad let down that it is an APS-C.

Steven Jardine is off-linePlatinum Member
15 September 2014 15:15
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

Quote from Chandos
APS-H makes more sense as the sensor size allows AF point coverage a lot better than FF and with the 10fps makes it an ideal sport/action camera hence why the old 1DMk4 was aim for sport. I feel the 7DMkII tries to fit in were the Canon APS-H camera left off but just feel a tad let down that it is an APS-C.

I miss the 1D series cameras, I was saving to buy a 1DIV but then Canon scrapped it.  I thought the APS-H format was a nice compromise between sensor size (and the percieved increase in focal length) and sports performance.

Although for me the real benefit of the 1DIV was the sync speed at 1/300th, which with TTL Pocket Wizards could be fine-tuned to reach 1/500th on some flash units (for a near fully-open flash exposure).
When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. All of your pain is felt by others. The same thing happens when you are stupid.

Ian MACFADYEN is off-lineSilver Member
15 September 2014 17:11
Kiboko
Photographer
Kiboko
Surrey
GUILDFORD

Far too late for moi! I waited at least 3 years if not 4 and year after year nothing was announced. The last three 'Focus' shows at the NEC I've asked at the Canon stand about a 7D replacement and they either knew nothing, weren't saying anything or denied it would ever be produced. Eventually by last November I was so frustrated I explored other brands and finally decided on a Pentax K3 (24Mp, 7 f.p.s.) with 60-250mm f4 lens + 300mm f4 lens for my wildlife & sport photography, relinquishing my old 7D and the 70-300mm f5.6/400mm f5.6 L lenses that went with it. Far better in low light, focusing slightly slower, - no regrets.

Steven Jardine is off-linePlatinum Member
16 September 2014 01:37
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

Quote from Kiboko
Far too late for moi! I waited at least 3 years if not 4 and year after year nothing was announced.

Really?

The 7D was announced in 2009, and given that most of Canon's significant cameras (ie. the single figure bodies) have a 3-year cycle, that'll mean you should only have been expecting it two years ago at the earliest. 

In fact the cycles are actually increasing as time progresses, arguably due to the fact that digital technology is reaching a plateau of sorts and manufacturers are finding it increasingly difficult to incorporate ground-breaking features.  There's actually an arguement as well that they made the 7D too good for what it is and saw no reason to change it.

There's a timeline of this here on Wikipedia
When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. All of your pain is felt by others. The same thing happens when you are stupid.

Ian MACFADYEN is off-lineSilver Member
16 September 2014 03:07
Kiboko
Photographer
Kiboko
Surrey
GUILDFORD

I'd have been one of those arguing that it's low light capability wasn't good enough, in fact I'd say, pretty appalling. Noise apparent and sometimes blatantly obvious at anything over 400 ISO. And it wasn't the wait that frustrated me, it was the lack of information, mis-information, down-right inaccurate information, rumour and counter-rumour that I found unnecessary and annoying. And being on the defensive when I criticised them. Canon have lost me as a result. As I said, no regrets.

Matthew G is off-line
16 September 2014 04:33
MG
Photographer
MG
Warwickshire

Why can't Canon or Nikon actually bring out a new new camera? They put a few more megapixels in to it, added some more focus points added a couple of more frames a second and then put it in the same case! I've been a Canon user for years and whist it is nice to swap your next camera to something that is familiar I just feel that cameras lack design now. Why not put it in a nice bare metal aluminium casing and change the buttons for metal? Even changing the rubber grips around it would have been nice... I'm bored of the same design camera in and camera out! Please please Mr Canon man wherever you are get us something different to look at :-)

They really should have made it 4K video rather than 50fps (pal). Or why not even introduce the option to shoot video in raw like we are all crying out for? :-) The downside i that Mr Canon won't read this :-(

28 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
Emmaheron Garysimpson kacie LadyLycan RoxyMendez
Andy_B antoinewynn bbphotos bradder chopper_images Finallyhere Gazza geoffmarchant James7799 Kjoservices Ladiesman markeos50d Matt1988 nik300 oro Pendragon140994 PeppeArena philippahh Photokirk1 Puremoods stevegosh Willjamieson woodmally