Paul Hodson is off-line
16 September 2014 03:11
mph
Photographer
mph
Cheshire
Crewe

Quote from click_gotcha
I'll tell you what this campaign has spawned. Armies of amateur economists. Thousands of them. People whose biggest economic decision in life is whether to get a mortgage from the Halifax or the Nationwide are suddenly bestowed with the economic knowledge of Andrew Carnegie.

So long as Salmon face isn't one of them...........
Amateur - happy to do TF with models with potential and enthusiasm. Website: www.mphodson.co.uk

Ellesse Photography is off-lineSilver Member
16 September 2014 05:45
EllessePhotography
Photographer
EllessePhotography
Edinburgh
Edinburgh

I'm convinced that the fish man and his puppet will paint their faces blue and white on Thursday. Forgetting about the real issues over independence, Scotland could end up with a leader that spits the dummy out if people won't agree with him.

EdT is off-line
16 September 2014 06:10
EdT
Photographer
EdT
Cambridgeshire

Just out of interest, what party will Alex Salmond et al join once independence is established? Surely there will be no more need for a nationalist party.

click_gotcha is off-line
16 September 2014 06:21
click_gotcha
Photographer
click_gotcha
Lanarkshire

Quote from mph
So long as Salmon face isn't one of them...........

Well, actually Alex Salmond used to be a professional economist.

Andy is off-line
16 September 2014 06:58
photostore
Photographer
photostore
Fife
fife based, but Scotland wide

Quote from click_gotcha

Well, like or loath him i guess he knows more about economics and especially "the oil economy" than most 

"Salmond attended the local ; background: none;" title="Linlithgow Academy">Linlithgow Academy from 1966–1972. He studied at Edinburgh College of Commerce from 1972–73, gaining an HNC in Business Studies,; white-space: nowrap; background: none;">[10] and was then accepted by the ; background: none;" title="University of St Andrews">University of St Andrews, where he studied Economics and Medieval History. During his time at St Andrews, Salmond lived in ; background: none;" title="St Salvator's Hall">St Salvator's Hall. He was elected as Vice-President (Education) of the ; background: none;" title="Students' Representative Council">Students' Representative Council in 1977 and was also nominated to join St Andrews Community Council that year.; white-space: nowrap; background: none;">[11] Salmond graduated with a 2:2 ; background: none;" title="Joint Honours">Joint Honours ; background: none;" title="Master of Arts (Scotland)">MA in Economics and Medieval History in May 1978.; white-space: nowrap; background: none;">[11]; white-space: nowrap; background: none;">[12]

In 1978 he entered the ; background: none;" title="Government Economic Service">Government Economic Service as an Assistant Economist in the Department of Agriculture and Fisheries for Scotland, part of the now defunct ; background: none;" title="Scottish Office">Scottish Office. Two years later he joined the staff of the ; background: none;" title="Royal Bank of Scotland">Royal Bank of Scotland where he worked for seven years, initially as an assistant economist. In 1982 he was appointed Oil Economist, and from 1984 he worked as a bank economist as well as continuing to hold the position of Oil Economist.; white-space: nowrap; background: none;">[12] While with the Royal Bank, he wrote and broadcast extensively for both domestic and international outlets. He also contributed regularly to oil and energy conferences. In 1983 Salmond created a "Royal Bank/BBC oil index" that is still used.

lets get shootin

Paul Hodson is off-line
16 September 2014 08:25
mph
Photographer
mph
Cheshire
Crewe

Quote from click_gotcha

Well actually he used to be a professional horse racing tipster but results of 130 races on which he gave tips over a randomly selected period of three years show a punter who followed him would have lost almost 22 per cent of his stakes.

And in any case as economists frequently disagree, being an economist is not necessarily helpful!
Amateur - happy to do TF with models with potential and enthusiasm. Website: www.mphodson.co.uk

Chrissie Red is off-line
16 September 2014 08:50
Chrissie_Red
Model
Chrissie_Red
Tayside
Perthshire

Quote from BodyBragging
Apologies Chrissie it should have said YES and not NO. It wasn't meant to indicate that anyone is stupid and doesn't suggest that you'll have to go cap in hand to Brussels if things go wrong. Oh and Brussels will be the place you will HAVE to go if things do go wrong. However, once again on the news tonight Mr Salmond was asked about his monetary policies. He again didn't answer the question but asked why people are trying to stand in front of a great party atmosphere. Not one to be a party-pooper, but after the hangover wears off, shouldn't a country have some idea what they are going to do fiscally and be able to openly discuss it? I'd say that hanging just about all credibility on ever decreasing oil reserves is somewhat short sighted to say the least.

Oh right sorry - Just with rest of your post I kind of thought thats what you were implying.

I don't really blame you for thinking the way you are - afterall its EXACTLY what the newspapers have splattered on their front pages.

Alex has answered quite a lot of questions - unfortunately though some of those answers HAVE been edited out of news reports (BBC for example). Please please please watch some of the live debates they are quite informative. Don't just watch clips from the debates - watch them from the start to the end.

On that note I'm out - because there really is no point at all in trying to change peoples opinion. 

16 September 2014 12:56
Jackass
Photographer

Quote from BodyBragging
We discussed the impending Scottish vote and what could be - should the Scots decide to move away from the UK. None of us recalled a conversation which categorically set out the Independence stance on money. i.e which currency they will use. It's looking more likely that they will continue to use Sterling.

That makes for an interesting perspective. An independent country who doesn't control it's own fiscal state! The Scots would then have all their financial regulations - governed by the Bank of England - with no say.

Because of this, it's more than likely that Moodys would instantly reduce the credit rating of the country, meaning it would cost more to borrow money.

So, looking at the news over the last week and taking the above in to consideration, voting "NO" could probably end up looking like this.........

Major banks and international companies pulling head offices to England, therefore reducing jobs. No direct currency regulations - meaning that money will cost more to borrow (so increase in interest rates). Increase in interest rate means far less to spend on infrastructure and house market crashing. Cost of living leaping (aka Republic of Ireland). Even everyday items such as food going up massively. No one in the SNP having experience of economical strategies.

I'll give it 10 years before the country becomes bankrupt and people having 50% personal tax and life long mortgages.

Glad I'm not voting but hey..........at least we English might just get the correct quota of tax spent within country.

So if the independent house of cards collapses, the Scots will still be able to blame the English!

A plan with no drawbacks then......

If it walks like a duck, and talks like a duck, it could be my ex wife.

Chrissie Red is off-line
16 September 2014 13:08
Chrissie_Red
Model
Chrissie_Red
Tayside
Perthshire

Quote from Jackass
So if the independent house of cards collapses, the Scots will still be able to blame the English! A plan with no drawbacks then......

You are confusing things a bit - nobody blames the English. Its not your fault or little Joe's down the roads fault.
The UK isn't just England (I know its hard to remember that sometimes though). Kind of dissapointing to hear the "Scot's vs English" type of stuff.
I don't blame you though, thats what the press are feeding you.

Paul Hodson is off-line
16 September 2014 14:09
mph
Photographer
mph
Cheshire
Crewe

Quote from Chrissie_Red
You are confusing things a bit - nobody blames the English. Its not your fault or little Joe's down the roads fault.

The UK isn't just England (I know its hard to remember that sometimes though). Kind of dissapointing to hear the "Scot's vs English" type of stuff.

I don't blame you though, thats what the press are feeding you.

Well if it all goes wrong I rather doubt you will hear Mr Salmond saying he made a mistake. It will undoubtedly be blamed on the terms of the deal offered and accepted after a "yes" vote if that is the result.

I have to say I would be unhappy voting "yes" when you are totally in the dark about hugely important matters re currency, national debt share etc etc.

4 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
mghphoto mrdl shadowtime74 Steveh32