Steven Jardine is off-linePlatinum Member
15 September 2014 13:10
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

Quote from paule
but our political system needs to change and start representing the people not just London and business interests.

The problem is that London & business interests are where the money is.  We as a nation have a high standard of living compared to most and it all has to be paid for somehow.  Kicking big business in the teeth by trying to make them pay up in the false belief that it will help the poor is folly as all it will do is make them bugger off with their money elsewhere.  I seem to recall it's something like the top 10% of earners pay 90% of the country's taxes, you really don't want to upset this balance.
When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. All of your pain is felt by others. The same thing happens when you are stupid.

Andy is off-line
15 September 2014 14:17
photostore
Photographer
photostore
Fife
fife based, but Scotland wide

well it's all settled for me................Bekham comes out and says were better together, so that's it then !

then again.............there is a facebook page around these parts questioning that "he is not capable of writing a letter himself" maybe Vicky helped, possibly sells more dresses (and now shoes i hear) up here than in London ? Vicky...forget the new line of open toe sandals Hen, leads to foot rot in the rain
lets get shootin

Simon Chan is off-line
15 September 2014 14:21
Chandos
Photographer

Merseyside
Liverpool

Quote from RedChecker
I seem to recall it's something like the top 10% of earners pay 90% of the country's taxes, you really don't want to upset this balance.

Were do you get that figure from?

Neil Anderson is off-line
15 September 2014 14:36
stolenfaces
Photographer
stolenfaces
London
West London

Quote from Chandos

Were do you get that figure from?

Obviously that doesn't apply to VAT, gambling tax, Excise duties or even Council Tax.
He probably means Income Tax which might be true, although the expression 'earners' is somewhat dubious term for people who sit back and collect money because their ancestors owned large tracts of land (like Mayfair).
I think the source of his figures is not far from Conservative Central Propaganda Unit who think people who take home Millions of pounds per year are unfairly treated (and might leave the country, or go on strike as the Daily Mail doesn't call it if they were asked to pay taxes or fair wages to their workers)
Like any dealer he was watching for the card that is so high and wild he'll never need to deal another...

Steven Jardine is off-linePlatinum Member
15 September 2014 15:06
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

Quote from stolenfaces
Obviously that doesn't apply to VAT, gambling tax, Excise duties or even Council Tax. He probably means Income Tax which might be true, although the expression 'earners' is somewhat dubious term for people who sit back and collect money because their ancestors owned large tracts of land (like Mayfair). I think the source of his figures is not far from Conservative Central Propaganda Unit who think people who take home Millions of pounds per year are unfairly treated (and might leave the country, or go on strike as the Daily Mail doesn't call it if they were asked to pay taxes or fair wages to their workers)

Jesus, just listen to yourself

The top 10% are those earning ~£45k+ according to a quick google search (ie. those paying 40% tax), so hardly Mayfair material (for which you'd be well into £100s of thousands at the very least).

As for the 10% paying 90%, I can't remember where I read it but it seems fairly logical considering how many people seem to be at the bottom end and scrounging off the state.
When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. All of your pain is felt by others. The same thing happens when you are stupid.

Nick is off-line
15 September 2014 16:01
BodyBragging
Photographer
BodyBragging
Greater Manchester

We discussed the impending Scottish vote and what could be - should the Scots decide to move away from the UK. None of us recalled a conversation which categorically set out the Independence stance on money. i.e which currency they will use. It's looking more likely that they will continue to use Sterling.

That makes for an interesting perspective. An independent country who doesn't control it's own fiscal state! The Scots would then have all their financial regulations - governed by the Bank of England - with no say.

Because of this, it's more than likely that Moodys would instantly reduce the credit rating of the country, meaning it would cost more to borrow money.

So, looking at the news over the last week and taking the above in to consideration, voting "NO" could probably end up looking like this.........

Major banks and international companies pulling head offices to England, therefore reducing jobs. No direct currency regulations - meaning that money will cost more to borrow (so increase in interest rates). Increase in interest rate means far less to spend on infrastructure and house market crashing. Cost of living leaping (aka Republic of Ireland). Even everyday items such as food going up massively. No one in the SNP having experience of economical strategies.

I'll give it 10 years before the country becomes bankrupt and people having 50% personal tax and life long mortgages.

Glad I'm not voting but hey..........at least we English might just get the correct quota of tax spent within country.

click_gotcha is off-line
15 September 2014 16:19
click_gotcha
Photographer
click_gotcha
Lanarkshire

I'll tell you what this campaign has spawned. Armies of amateur economists. Thousands of them. People whose biggest economic decision in life is whether to get a mortgage from the Halifax or the Nationwide are suddenly bestowed with the economic knowledge of Andrew Carnegie.

Neil Anderson is off-line
15 September 2014 18:10
stolenfaces
Photographer
stolenfaces
London
West London

Quote from RedChecker
Jesus, just listen to yourself

The top 10% are those earning ~£45k+ according to a quick google search (ie. those paying 40% tax), so hardly Mayfair material (for which you'd be well into £100s of thousands at the very least).

As for the 10% paying 90%, I can't remember where I read it but it seems fairly logical considering how many people seem to be at the bottom end and scrounging off the state.

That's just not true. Try googling again.....
You still seem to be only talking about income tax ...and.... are you talking about 10% of taxpayers or all people (ie including children and other people that don't pay tax)? Do the children and non-working wives of the top taxpayers count as part of your 10% or are they in the 90% (that you describe as scroungers).
Are you talking about net tax, as according to your figures people who have an income over £45,000 are still eligible for child benefit and pensions and pension related benefits and free prescriptions.

Like any dealer he was watching for the card that is so high and wild he'll never need to deal another...

Chrissie Red is off-line
15 September 2014 19:27
Chrissie_Red
Model
Chrissie_Red
Tayside
Perthshire

Quote from BodyBragging
 voting "NO" could probably end up looking like this......... Major banks and international companies pulling head offices to England, therefore reducing jobs. No direct currency regulations - meaning that money will cost more to borrow (so increase in interest rates). Increase in interest rate means far less to spend on infrastructure and house market crashing. Cost of living leaping (aka Republic of Ireland). Even everyday items such as food going up massively. No one in the SNP having experience of economical strategies. I'll give it 10 years before the country becomes bankrupt and people having 50% personal tax and life long mortgages. Glad I'm not voting but hey..........at least we English might just get the correct quota of tax spent within country.

Don't you mean thats what will happen if people vote yes to independence?

I'm confused :S

I'm used to hearing this "your too stupid and Chrissie_Red is a naughty person " arguement if people vote yes but not the other way around.

Not to forget we will come begging and stuff when it all crumbles around us.

Nick is off-line
15 September 2014 20:39
BodyBragging
Photographer
BodyBragging
Greater Manchester

Apologies Chrissie it should have said YES and not NO.

It wasn't meant to indicate that anyone is stupid and doesn't suggest that you'll have to go cap in hand to Brussels if things go wrong. Oh and Brussels will be the place you will HAVE to go if things do go wrong.

However, once again on the news tonight Mr Salmond was asked about his monetary policies. He again didn't answer the question but asked why people are trying to stand in front of a great party atmosphere.

Not one to be a party-pooper, but after the hangover wears off, shouldn't a country have some idea what they are going to do fiscally and be able to openly discuss it?

I'd say that hanging just about all credibility on ever decreasing oil reserves is somewhat short sighted to say the least.

5 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
2bridgesphotography diphoto Robinsky steveh32 TinDolls