Reminder Secure

scottish referendum

RGBphoto is off-lineSilver Member
14 September 2014 19:05
magpie1
Photographer

Tyne and Wear
Newcastle

To be fair to Galloway ( not sure why, as he doesn't give a s***e [Scottish spelling] about anybody else) but he had had a brief hospitalisation after being assaulted, which is why he was wearing the hat, I guess to cover the bruises.
I thought he was a bit 'vague' but put up a reasonable performance, that was up to the final bit, quoting WW2 and suggesting they might be speaking German was IMHO not a good idea, especially to an audience of adolescents, for whom it would be totally abstract.

Peter Roach is off-lineGold Member
14 September 2014 19:48
flashysnapper
Photographer
flashysnapper
Staffordshire
burton on trent

Why is it that on such an important subject scots living outside Scotland cant vote in the referendum but
non-scots living in Scotland can?

Steven Jardine is off-linePlatinum Member
15 September 2014 02:08
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

Quote from Chrissie_Red
All I see is yes stickers in windows and no signs in farmers fields.

Which is very telling.... the majority of people who put stickers in windows are (I suspect) driven simply by passions rather than logic.  Farmers on the other hand are businessmen and would have a far better understanding of the financial/commercial repercussions of what independence would involve for them.
When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. All of your pain is felt by others. The same thing happens when you are stupid.

Paul Venn is off-lineSilver Member
15 September 2014 03:24
jpv
Photographer
jpv
Norfolk
Norwich

As an Englishman, I accept that the decision is up to the Scottish people.

What is important to me are the steps to be taken after the referendum.

If the No vote wins what needs to be done to re-convince those that voted yes that together can be good too.

If the yes vote wins the focus of the 2 countries must be to sort out the inevitable consequences. This is likely to take at least a generation.

For a start there will be a border between an EU and a non EU country, Brussels has the major say here. To start with the south will be in the EU and the north not, this will probably change around over the next 20 years.

The international position of both countries will change, with the contraction of size and influence the “south’s” position on the UN Security Council will be totally unjustifiable and will go.

As I understand it the north’s position on certain defence issues makes it incompatible with NATO membership so leaves a large hole in Western Europe’s defences. How can this be addressed?

The currency issue will create a lot of uncertainty until the north is accepted into the EU and can join the Euro.

The relocation of government processes to its relevant country and the separation of IT services are likely to be a nightmare if the history of any major politically led project is examined.

These are just a few of the things that come to mind and here in the south I have not seen them even lightly examined, I just hope they have been in the North.

It will be a tragedy if these separation processes leads us back to the enmity that existed in the past, the world is becoming a more and more dangerous place and squabbles in our backyards are a distraction none of us need.

click_gotcha is off-line
15 September 2014 12:04
click_gotcha
Photographer
click_gotcha
Lanarkshire

The campaign has really taken it's toll on Nicola Sturgeon.

Chrissie Red is off-line
15 September 2014 12:31
Chrissie_Red
Model
Chrissie_Red
Tayside
Perthshire

Quote from RedChecker
Which is very telling.... the majority of people who put stickers in windows are (I suspect) driven simply by passions rather than logic.  Farmers on the other hand are businessmen and would have a far better understanding of the financial/commercial repercussions of what independence would involve for them.

Or...

Those with money/land and large properties are quite happy with the way things are because it benefits them - thankfully though Scotland is not made up of farmers and those at the "bottom" have nothing to loose from seeking a change. Even with farmers it isn't a massive gap in %'s on which way they will vote. Its very interesting to be honest, I know plenty of older yes voters and I hear in the media that the older generation are those who are more strongly inclined to stick with the status quo. I think I only know about 7 people who intend on voting no and I believe I have a fair scattering of friends from different backgrounds/ages etc.. Originally I thought it was down to my age but most of the no voters I know are of similar age to me.

Andy is off-line
15 September 2014 13:24
photostore
Photographer
photostore
Fife
fife based, but Scotland wide

well i do know the southern contingent heading north to plead for us to stay may be backfiring !
i have spoken with probably a dozen better together voters who in the last week or so have now done a u turn and will vote yes based on the fact they are promising the earth  a week before it, asking why did no one promise or say this over the previous years, and also now realising that if you read between the lines the effective message is "you wont survive alone ! or more to the point you cant stand on your own two feet................red rag to a bull  maybe it's all part of a tory master plan to force through a yes vote ?

big question is will we have to pay an import tax on Buckfast ?
lets get shootin

15 September 2014 13:56
paule
Photographer

I think the SNP have stirred up the dissatisfaction the majority of UK people feel with the current Westminster, London & SE centric Gov's that have rundown, ruined and ripped-off the rest of the UK...

It's a parasite that needs to change and I think the Yes vote will win on Thursday and I guess Scotland will be worse off in the long run for it, though at least they will manage their own countries successes & failures.

Both sides have valid points and Scotland absolutely can progress under it's own governance.. I do think we're more effective ( or at least should be ) working as a collective... and is the better model in the long run.

I genuinely believe we are, the UK & £, what the EU & the Euro would like to replicate...

Scotland will, if the Yes vote wins, be looking to join a union propped up by Germany and will probably have to adopt the Euro as I reckon the Spanish will insist on that being part of the agreement on them joining.. if they vote to allow them in at all with the threat to their own sovereignty challenged by the Basque regions..

Better together.. but our political system needs to change and start representing the people not just London and business interests.

15 September 2014 13:56
paule
Photographer

hmm.. I voted twice.. conspiracy!

Steven Jardine is off-linePlatinum Member
15 September 2014 14:05
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

Quote from photostore
well i do know the southern contingent heading north to plead for us to stay may be backfiring !

Damned if they do, damned if they don't.  If they weren't seen to be doing anything then people would argue they didn't care anyway, at least this way they can show they tried.
When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. All of your pain is felt by others. The same thing happens when you are stupid.

29 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
amber6 AmberBray Cody Jessicaliu1993 Pinklilly
abouncer antoinewynn davejarvis Don_Dark ellessephotography George99 gwentman jefflynne JohnDentonPhoto Kjoservices modelboutique Morgan_L paulq peteb poah psn riddell Rule_of_Thumb siclews soulc steveh32 Steveharratt Thunder_Photos TonyNutley