scottish referendum

Paul is off-lineSilver Member
20 September 2014 08:36
DorsetHammer
Photographer
DorsetHammer
Dorset
Christchurch

There's plenty of meat on the bone of this vote for those, like me, who enjoy political debate. Have to say I did smile at the results from Orkney and Shetland - heard one voter from Shetland say they'd sooner belong to Norway than a country run by the SNP.
It was broken when I got here

Steven Jardine is off-linePlatinum Member
20 September 2014 09:15
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

It may be worth rebuilding a modern equivalent of Hadrian's Wall as a precautionary measure in case the RedChecker is a naughty person hits the fan and they have civil war up there. Just saying.
When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. All of your pain is felt by others. The same thing happens when you are stupid.

RGBphoto is off-lineSilver Member
20 September 2014 09:35
magpie1
Photographer

Tyne and Wear
Newcastle

Hadrians wall is a good bit south of the present border, but we could make it the Antonine wall!

20 September 2014 10:13
Jackass
Photographer

Quote from DorsetHammer
There's plenty of meat on the bone of this vote for those, like me, who enjoy political debate. Have to say I did smile at the results from Orkney and Shetland - heard one voter from Shetland say they'd sooner belong to Norway than a country run by the SNP.

I was up at RAF Saxa Vord in the Shetlands in 1987, dismantling the domes after the big storms. Talking to the locals, even back then they were adamant to a man that they would rather be a part of Norway than an independent Scotland.

When Salmond talks of 45% wanting separation he fails to mention that 55% want to remain British.
If it walks like a duck, and talks like a duck, it could be my ex wife.

jivago Photographic is off-line
21 September 2014 19:09
jivago
Photographer
jivago
Highland
Highlands & Cheshire

Quote from Jackass
I was up at RAF Saxa Vord in the Shetlands in 1987, dismantling the domes after the big storms. Talking to the locals, even back then they were adamant to a man that they would rather be a part of Norway than an independent Scotland. When Salmond talks of 45% wanting separation he fails to mention that 55% want to remain British.

Aye 55% who embody so many who demand a readical change in the relationship with Westminster - We all know that 'Devo-Max' was a vast majority.

http://www.jivagophoto.com/

Tony Stephenson is off-line
23 September 2014 15:48
tonycsm
Photographer
tonycsm
East Yorkshire
Driffield

So this is the result of the referendum!wink

http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/politics/politics-headlines/scottish-parliament-legalises-hunting-of-no-voters-2014092390910
www.le-femme.co.uk

23 September 2014 16:27
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

I wouldn't joke about it, some of my 'yes' supporting friends on FB are so riled up about this you'd think they'd go to any lengths to get their own way.

I didn't read it fully but one such post was quoting Salmond as saying there are other means to independence rather than relying on democracy.  Quite honestly I was not only astounded that the arrogance of him to suggest running rough-shod over the democratic process but his supporters (on that FB page the article was posting on) were thoroughly loving it (and some of these were of retirement age with grandkids).  Correct me if I'm wrong but the main point of the 'yes' vote seemed to be securing the future for their children, and if that's the case why the hell are they supporting ignoring one of the main principles we hold dear in our society that countless thousands (if not millions) of our forefathers spilled blood over?  If it is genuine then I genuinely fear for the future, because if the SNP are willing to do that before they have full control, what the hell are they going to be like once they've got independence?  The behaviour & tactics of a certain Austrian from the early 20th century spring to mind and it seems many haven't learned their lesson from his example.  Very sad indeed.
When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. All of your pain is felt by others. The same thing happens when you are stupid.

Tony Stephenson is off-line
23 September 2014 18:59
tonycsm
Photographer
tonycsm
East Yorkshire
Driffield

Quote from RedChecker
I wouldn't joke about it, some of my 'yes' supporting friends on FB are so riled up about this you'd think they'd go to any lengths to get their own way.

I didn't read it fully but one such post was quoting Salmond as saying there are other means to independence rather than relying on democracy.  Quite honestly I was not only astounded that the arrogance of him to suggest running rough-shod over the democratic process but his supporters (on that FB page the article was posting on) were thoroughly loving it (and some of these were of retirement age with grandkids).  Correct me if I'm wrong but the main point of the 'yes' vote seemed to be securing the future for their children, and if that's the case why the hell are they supporting ignoring one of the main principles we hold dear in our society that countless thousands (if not millions) of our forefathers spilled blood over?  If it is genuine then I genuinely fear for the future, because if the SNP are willing to do that before they have full control, what the hell are they going to be like once they've got independence?  The behaviour & tactics of a certain Austrian from the early 20th century spring to mind and it seems many haven't learned their lesson from his example.  Very sad indeed.

I do think the SNP/YES campaigners and Salmond were all convinced that they had it in the bag and understandably many were devastated when the vote was NO, but it does appear that some will just not accept the results and I suspect it will be a constant war of attrition until they eventually achieve their objective!

From what I can gather 90,000 YES campaigners have already signed a petition calling for a recount or even a re-vote due to what they believe was vote rigging - they just don't want to accept the democratic will of the people.

I don't think it will ever go away and sooner or later Scotland will become independent if the Nationalists have their way.

www.le-femme.co.uk

DJ200 is off-line
24 September 2014 03:57
DJ200
Photographer
DJ200
Hertfordshire

Quote from tonycsm

I don't think it will ever go away and sooner or later Scotland will become independent if the Nationalists have their way.

Yep, like the E.U,  keep going back until the "right" vote has been achieved, and then never revisit the topic again. "Democracy" only seems to work in one direction it seems.

24 September 2014 05:44
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

And for those who have doubts, let's remind ourselves of how democracy works

3 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
Kingpanther786
bogan carshaltonkev