Diamond is off-line
20 September 2014 23:46
DiamondB
Photographer
DiamondB
London
London

Quote from LaurenceJPower
I've got an HP Elite 7500 i5 3570 machine with on board graphics and 6Mb Ram running W7 64. Windows experience is coming in at 5.1

1)  Occasionally Lightroom crashes due to the entire memory in the machine being used up

2) I would like to speed up the machine without spending megabucks

I note that Adobe now try and suggest a number of graphics cards which PS is profiled for, these are all too expensive. so the question is should I upgrade the RAM to 8 or more MB, or use an "external" graphics card, if so how much memory, how little cash should I be able to get away with?

I realise that some of you will complain about me trying to save money, well I beleive in value for money, one can get the very very best, it will cost an arm, a leg or two and then some, by spending possibly half as much one can often get 75-80% of the desired result, this is what I call value for money, maximising the return on investment.

Thanks guys and girls

It's always been my experience that Adobe software is bloatware by default .. just look at the size of their PDF Reader vs the competition -it's often 10 times larger for no reason I can figure out. Lightroom also seems to be much larger then it needs to be, given that most of what lightroom does should be based on mathematical formulas I'd expect the software to be around 50mb in size. Zoner for example is very similar to Lightroom in features but less then 55mb. Zoner also is optimised to make the best use of a dedicated graphics card. I see no such options in lightroom.

I've experimented with cheap ways to make lightroom faster, you're basically wasting your time as the software looks like it was designed to be big and slow on purpose.

Pentti Pohjonen is off-lineSilver Member
21 September 2014 02:13
PHP_Photography
Photographer
PHP_Photography
Finland
VAASA

Quote from DiamondB
It's always been my experience that Adobe software is bloatware by default .. just look at the size of their PDF Reader vs the competition -it's often 10 times larger for no reason I can figure out.

Bc it works better ? It uses less memory, doesnt crash 10 times a hour like certain popular other reader and the text looks much better.

Quote from DiamondB
Lightroom also seems to be much larger then it needs to be, given that most of what lightroom does should be based on mathematical formulas I'd expect the software to be around 50mb in size.

Lightroom core is way smaller than 50Mb, size goes up bc it supports many languages, cameras and lenses.

Steven Jardine is off-linePlatinum Member
21 September 2014 02:30
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

Quote from LaurenceJPower
I was looking at 128Gb max, leaving a standard hard drive for the image files

Do be aware that if this is your main drive and if it will be almost full (I'd need ~300GB for a 'c' drive on my main machine due to the size of all the apps I use) it can damage the drive as it will constantly be overwriting over its free space when creating various log files & temporary files (something that's not good for SSDs).  Providing there's a decent amount of free space the drive uses wear-levelling technology to ensure the minimum number of overwrites of the free space and works best when there's plenty available.
When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. All of your pain is felt by others. The same thing happens when you are stupid.

Steven Jardine is off-linePlatinum Member
21 September 2014 02:32
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

Quote from DiamondB
It's always been my experience that Adobe software is bloatware by default 

In the scheme of things Adobe software is actually quite conservative by modern standards, I can only guess you don't use much software to come to this conclusion.
When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. All of your pain is felt by others. The same thing happens when you are stupid.

3 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
Charlotte90
bergstrom dby47