Graphics Cards

Laurence Power is off-line
11 September 2014 16:02
LaurenceJPower
Photographer
LaurenceJPower
Surrey
Esher

I've got an HP Elite 7500 i5 3570 machine with on board graphics and 6Mb Ram running W7 64. Windows experience is coming in at 5.1

1)  Occasionally Lightroom crashes due to the entire memory in the machine being used up
2) I would like to speed up the machine without spending megabucks

I note that Adobe now try and suggest a number of graphics cards which PS is profiled for, these are all too expensive. so the question is should I upgrade the RAM to 8 or more MB, or use an "external" graphics card, if so how much memory, how little cash should I be able to get away with?

I realise that some of you will complain about me trying to save money, well I beleive in value for money, one can get the very very best, it will cost an arm, a leg or two and then some, by spending possibly half as much one can often get 75-80% of the desired result, this is what I call value for money, maximising the return on investment.

Thanks guys and girls
Laurence J. Power

marlham is off-line
11 September 2014 16:19
marlhamphoto
Photographer
This member has been reset to pending
marlhamphoto
Kent
Canterbury

NB windows experience always reflects the lowest scoring element so best to consider the individual scores.

Which theme are you using? You could try using a Windows theme that doesn't implement Aero - that might help a bit.

Profile Pictures is off-line
11 September 2014 17:15
profilepictures
Photographer
profilepictures
Suffolk
Bury St Edmunds

You can get a graphics card for around £35 with its own memory, or upgrade your ram I guess as a fairly cheap tweak.

HowardJ is off-line
11 September 2014 17:42
HowardJ
Photographer
HowardJ
Surrey
West Midlands

Or configure PS to use disk when RAM runs out. It should be paging the memory to disk and never running out.

Upgrading the RAM is a temporary fix. Configuring PS correctly would be a permanent fix and you'd learn a little more about how to get PS to really perform.

HowardJ is off-line
11 September 2014 17:51
HowardJ
Photographer
HowardJ
Surrey
West Midlands

Try playing with the config as described at:
http://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom/kb/optimize-performance-lightroom.html

HowardJ is off-line
11 September 2014 17:59
HowardJ
Photographer
HowardJ
Surrey
West Midlands

http://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom/kb/performance-hints.html?sdid=KBQWU

CSD Images is off-line
11 September 2014 19:18
CSD_Images
Photographer
CSD_Images
Grampian
Aberdeen

I do hope you have more than 6Mb of RAM

All seriousness you're looking at 16Gb system RAM for most modern cameras for editing and batch processing. In addition there's a reason why you have to pay more for the pro lines of cards like Quadro's and FireGL and that's because of additional ISV testing. Whilst consumer cards 'work' there's no guarantee of stability for OpenCL/OpenGL driver stacks. This said, you're probably best off looking at graphics with at least 1Gb of VRAM and ball park price £100-150 which is the mid-range. At this current time you get your best bang for buck out of AMD graphics cards.

It's false economy to skimp on either RAM or graphics as this is critical to how Ps/Lr works, if your system is always crashing then that money you spent on 'good enough' will come back and haunt you especially as Adobe barrels down the GPGPU model put more and more emphasis on this area to offload tasks/improve performance.
www.flickr.com/photos/csd_images | www.celticshadows.co.uk

Steven Jardine is off-linePlatinum Member
12 September 2014 01:30
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

The performance boost of a graphics card is somewhat insignificant compared to boost more main memory will give you. I'm also not convinced they boost PS/LR performance that much anyway for the majority of tasks as I'm happily using both with crappy laptops and it's always main system memory which ultimately causes delays and slows the machine down, not raw processing power from the GPU (or even CPU for that matter).

Graphics cards do come into their own with video editing though.  Sony Vegas on mine (with a somewhat basic AMD 5770) gives a 10x speed boost over using the CPU alone, but then it performs long arduous calculations/processing.  Editing photos isn't that hard on processing so less of an issue.

And I'd agree that 16GB should be a minimum for a modern machine, personally though I'd be looking at 32GB+ for my next machine and I'm still only working on 20mpix images.
When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. All of your pain is felt by others. The same thing happens when you are stupid.

EdT is off-line
12 September 2014 14:42
EdT
Photographer
EdT
Cambridgeshire

Quote from LaurenceJPower
I've got an HP Elite 7500 i5 3570 machine with on board graphics and 6Mb Ram running W7 64. Windows experience is coming in at 5.1

1)  Occasionally Lightroom crashes due to the entire memory in the machine being used up

2) I would like to speed up the machine without spending megabucks

I note that Adobe now try and suggest a number of graphics cards which PS is profiled for, these are all too expensive. so the question is should I upgrade the RAM to 8 or more MB, or use an "external" graphics card, if so how much memory, how little cash should I be able to get away with?

I realise that some of you will complain about me trying to save money, well I beleive in value for money, one can get the very very best, it will cost an arm, a leg or two and then some, by spending possibly half as much one can often get 75-80% of the desired result, this is what I call value for money, maximising the return on investment.

Thanks guys and girls

I'm presuming you're talking about GBytes of memory, not MBytes.

You say your Windows Experience Index is 5.1, can you say what the individual elements of that index are? (Click on the text that says "Windows Experience Index" and you will get a breakdown of that index.

Are you sure that LR is crashing because it's running out of memory? Normally it should be virtual memory so it would just make room by paging lesser used pages out.

Before spending any money, I think the main thing is to identify exactly where the bottleneck is. People will say "Buy this" and "Buy that" but you really need to identify the bottleneck rather than just buy whatever is the "in" accessory.

What operations are slow?
Have those operations ever been faster?
What resources are those operations using?

Steven Jardine is off-linePlatinum Member
12 September 2014 14:54
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

For the record, I'm using an ancient Core 2 Quad with only 4GB of RAM (W7-64) and it doesn't crash (although it's as slow as you like during heavy edits in PS) so it can't be memory unless you're editing silly-sized files like medium format RAWs.

It's most likely the on-board graphics (only just spotted this, didn't read properly earlier) but there's no reason to go mad on a video card, you can get 2GB nVidia GeForce cards for less than £50 (fanless too) and they should be fine with any OpenGL/DirectX processing you throw at it as you only really need more power if you're going to do 3D/heavy video work and it's unlikely that machine's power supply will cope with fast cards anyway.
When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. All of your pain is felt by others. The same thing happens when you are stupid.

22 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
ElleLaura georgiaiaxo Kath27 Lilly_69 NikkiLouise93 REDXXX
ansonphotography bbphotos casell GSC4X john_at_tina_spice Jph1954 Ladiesman mauricesimagery modelboutique philippahh read rod_m99 Shooting Steveh32 tommynicoll UrbanLensVisuals