Reminder Secure

Sweeteners/sugar substitutes.

This thread is being watched by 1 person
03 September 2014 06:46
PaulManuell
Photographer

I'm giving up sugar, I use far too much of it. Which ones do you recommend (through personal experience) as being the most sugar like taste without the chemical after taste usually associated with sweeteners?

redbaron is onlineSilver Member
03 September 2014 07:54
redbaron
Photographer
redbaron
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

Go cold turkey. Yes things taste horrid for a time while you body adapts but after a couple of months the sense is the other way round. Anything with sugar in it now tastes horribly sickly to me now. Just hard to believe that initially.
Photography and Studio hire www.immortaleye.co.uk

Razoir is off-line
03 September 2014 08:00
JeromeRazoir
Photographer
JeromeRazoir
Devon
Crediton

My experience is that ALL sugar substitutes taste pretty awful to begin with but when you find one that suits you; after a while it becomes preferable to sugar. I went through many until I settled on Cologran from Lidl. Not too expensive and does not have the after-taste of some. The granular version is hardly worth it. If you need to sweeten cold stuff you are better off dissolving a number of the tablets in a couple of teaspoons of boiling water and using that when cold. Sweeten the milk before putting it on the cornflakes and the like.
Who but a jazz man would say of Bridget Bardot, "Man, what key is she in?"

03 September 2014 09:12
PaulManuell
Photographer

Sorry, I should've mentioned it's only coffee that I have sugar in, not on cereals or anything, so it's the clickable tablet dispenser type of sweetener I'm after really. I drink 8-10 cups (at a guess) daily, so a fair bit of sugar there.

Paul is off-lineSilver Member
03 September 2014 11:28
DorsetHammer
Photographer
DorsetHammer
Dorset
Christchurch

Quote from redbaron
Go cold turkey. Yes things taste horrid for a time while you body adapts but after a couple of months the sense is the other way round. Anything with sugar in it now tastes horribly sickly to me now. Just hard to believe that initially.

Totally agree, anything without sugar tastes so much better.
It was broken when I got here

Paul Hodson is off-line
03 September 2014 12:08
mph
Photographer
mph
Cheshire
Crewe

Cut down gradually over a few weeks?
Amateur - happy to do TF with models with potential and enthusiasm. Website: www.mphodson.co.uk

03 September 2014 12:11
PaulManuell
Photographer

I enjoy the sweet taste, though, so don't want to give that up tbh. I just want a less calorific sugar substitute that tastes as near sugar as possible. Will just plump for one next time I go shopping and see what they're like..

Rupert Rudd is off-line
03 September 2014 14:12
RupertRudd
Photographer
RupertRudd
East Yorkshire
Hull

Anything containing saccharin has a lingering bitterness.
Nearest to sugar is Aspartame, this is said to taste "hollow".
Xylitol, made from Birch trees is quite good. Used in those little tiny mints
Just remembered - Tic Tacs.
A little help is worth a lot of sympathy.

Steven Jardine is off-linePlatinum Member
04 September 2014 01:46
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

Stevia's quite nice, albeit somewhat expensive. Coca-Cola are going to release a new version of their drink soon that's made with this (called Coca-Cola 'Life')

Aspartame's (aka Neutrasweet) disgusting stuff and makes me feel ill. There's lots of horror stories about it on the web and people have been campaigning for years for clear labelling of it or even banning it as a result.
When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. All of your pain is felt by others. The same thing happens when you are stupid.

Gary Newton is off-line
04 September 2014 09:00
oceanova
Photographer
oceanova
Essex

I've tried them all, I use Tesco's own brand myself but my wife hates them and uses sweetex. I quite like sweet & Low you find in restaurants but I've never found it in a clickable dispenser. I tried going without but preferred my coffee sweet unless I'm drinking good coffee, as for tea I have to spit it out if someone has sweetened it.

On another note read the users comments on the amazon about sugar free gummy bears

http://www.amazon.com/product-reviews/B006J1FBLM/ref=acr_dpx_hist_1?ie=UTF8&filterBy=addOneStar&showViewpoints=0

28 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
Crowlex Lusciousabi29 stevepm Sxcemma123
abouncer android_man Andy_B big_err clarmike Davebu david1500 dby47 eosfan glamorphotos hodgen kaosrox Kjoservices laurencejpower MAMAMIYA MIB Phiesta1 PhotoSpyroS rdp redbaron rtmphoto steveh32 WESTEND_PORTFOLIOS
wendyanne