31 August 2014 08:31
marlhamphoto
Photographer
This member has been reset to pending
marlhamphoto
Kent
Canterbury

Quote from samdavies2009
oh dear if that's the case I think im in the wrong profession well it was my first shoot soo hopefully you can keep an eye on my profile as I add more pictures and tell if theres any improvement. thanks again for all comments

I wouldn't worry about it - a decent photographer will work with you to achieve a particular mood. Once you have a bit of experience behind you it'll come naturally.

jessica is off-line
31 August 2014 09:13
samdavies2009
Model
samdavies2009
Cardiff
pontypridd

thank you that does make me feel better not that im one to give up anyway lol

Iain Thomson is off-linePlatinum Member
31 August 2014 10:55
IainT
Photographer
IainT
Bedfordshire

And another tip is...probably don't come on to the forums asking for advice...lol

Anyway, just make your profile notes read a bit better and get a few decent images, both of which will happen fairly quickly and you'll be of and running.

I'm sure you've had a few offers already, just be selective, when you are new its easy to jump at any offer, but poor images are simply a waste of your time.

I have absolutely no doubt that you have some good pictures in you and I'm equally sure if you hold out you'll get offers from decent photographers.

Before agreeing to any unpaid work make sure what you are getting is worth it...you'll know that by checking the photographers previous work and who he or she has worked with. Don't be scared to say no and don't take any .
I tend to be a modest man, but then I do have a lot to be modest about.

Paul Hodson is off-line
31 August 2014 11:56
mph
Photographer
mph
Cheshire
Crewe

Quote from IainT

Anyway, just make your profile notes read a bit better and get a few decent images, both of which will happen fairly quickly and you'll be of and running.

Yes - worth looking at a few other profiles to get a better idea of what is useful for photographers to know

Quote from IainT

Before agreeing to any unpaid work make sure what you are getting is worth it...you'll know that by checking the photographers previous work and who he or she has worked with. Don't be scared to say no and don't take any .

Although I know what Iain means - TF as it is called is not really free - you give your time, the photogarpher gives his and you get some images for your portfolio.  It is a trade - not free!

But certainly - only work like that with someone whose work you actually admire.
Amateur - happy to do TF with models with potential and enthusiasm. Website: www.mphodson.co.uk

Profile Pictures is off-line
31 August 2014 12:52
profilepictures
Photographer
profilepictures
Suffolk
Bury St Edmunds

That's a pretty warm reception for here, and I'd agree you could make some good pictures; this is all good.

Sorry at the lame/mock polite comments you'd got on your pictures already, some are more easily impressed than others. I'd suggest you hold out for really good offers, not just the first who suggest a TF shoot, and check references direct with models who've left them until you learn the ropes

Paul Hodson is off-line
31 August 2014 14:04
mph
Photographer
mph
Cheshire
Crewe

Quote from profilepictures
Sorry at the lame/mock polite comments you'd got on your pictures already, some are more easily impressed than others. I'd suggest you hold out for really good offers, not just the first who suggest a TF shoot, and check references direct with models who've left them until you learn the ropes

Yes - always worth checking out the portfolio of those who leave comments. if they are full of tacky photographs ......

Same applies to those who offer shoots too!
Amateur - happy to do TF with models with potential and enthusiasm. Website: www.mphodson.co.uk

Frank Sinnott is off-line
31 August 2014 15:57
frankpht
Photographer
frankpht
London

If you are to build a better portfolio. You'll need to pay photographers as according to your notes. You only work for pay so unless you find a photographer willing to pay you and supply you with images. You will not be able to build a port. Perhaps you should change that and do some TFP shots.

You look great just need to look in control of your look. A model that charges for her time is a professional and should be in charge of her look and not be dependant on the photographer to help her look confident in front of the camera.

I know your present images are your first and as they are I would not be willing to part with cash to hire you. Stick with it but learn your trade. From one shoot to paid work well in my opinion I can't see many offers coming your way.

It's tough out there for experienced models and you should be aware of that. Also remember if you put up a casting for paid work on the site you'll need to have a paid membership.

Neil Anderson is off-line
31 August 2014 16:28
stolenfaces
Photographer
stolenfaces
London
West London

Quote from frankpht
If you are to build a better portfolio. You'll need to pay photographers as according to your notes. You only work for pay so unless you find a photographer willing to pay you and supply you with images. You will not be able to build a port. Perhaps you should change that and do some TFP shots.

Rather a juvenile comment, which I wouldn't have bothered commenting on, but as a new model the OP might think your comment serious.
Obviously it is not necessary to mark TFP on her profile to do TFP sessions. If that were the case most of the TFP sessions that do take place never would happen. If she wants to post a TFP casting as a free member that is perfectly possible and if she wants to approach photographers who have indicated that they do TFP on their profile that is much the better way of getting suitable photos, whilst keeping the number of worthless offers to a managable level.
Like any dealer he was watching for the card that is so high and wild he'll never need to deal another...

Frank Sinnott is off-line
01 September 2014 01:29
frankpht
Photographer
frankpht
London

Quote from stolenfaces
Rather a juvenile comment, which I wouldn't have bothered commenting on, but as a new model the OP might think your comment serious. Obviously it is not necessary to mark TFP on her profile to do TFP sessions. If that were the case most of the TFP sessions that do take place never would happen. If she wants to post a TFP casting as a free member that is perfectly possible and if she wants to approach photographers who have indicated that they do TFP on their profile that is much the better way of getting suitable photos, whilst keeping the number of worthless offers to a managable level.

If I see only paid shoots on a models profile I take that literally.    What other way is there to take the statement.    If the OP had depends on assignment and paid shhots then we have something different.   If we follow your line of argument.    We could then ask her does she do adult shoots.   She hasn't got that on her profile so we can assume then she does not do adult shoots and she should not be then pestered to do anything she does not have on her profile.

On all forums we have models complaining about photographers asking for shoots that are clearly not on their profiles.    Their usual comment is why can't photographers read my profile notes.   I entirely agree with that statement.    So when it clearly says a model only does paid shoots.   Then I take her at her word and not bother her with offers of TFP shoots.

If she wants to approach photographers for TFP shoots that is her right.   Yet as of now the OP's profile indicates Paid shoots only.   My only option is to pass on by.   I never ask models to shoot beyond their levels as indicated on their profiles.  So I follow that through when the profile indicates only paid shoots.  

marlham is off-line
01 September 2014 01:51
marlhamphoto
Photographer
This member has been reset to pending
marlhamphoto
Kent
Canterbury

Frankie boy you're just making yourself look like an ass. There's clearly a world of difference between reality and that which you'd like it to be in your idealistic personal globe.

The reality is that models get images from paid shoots - not always but very often. Whilst they might only get two or three they're invariably the best from the shoot, as chosen by the photographer, and are very often edited to a good standard. Nine times out of ten they'll exceed the quality of anything she's likely to receive from a TF shoot.

The only people who ever complain about new models offering 'paid only' are the die-hard TF photographers with uninspiring portfolios who believe that models need to go through some kind of weird initiation involving lots of crap TF and dubious activities such as naked cartwheels in the photographer's front room!

Those models who do choose to TF (whether novice or experienced) do so because of far more complex reasons than you seem to have grasped.

25 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
AdelineE alishaa ElleLaura kategrimsby
antoinewynn antonart bluesden bobmac david1500 djb1 donaldmac dougharding geoffmarchant hylander iestyn Jpdo Kjoservices Ladiesman lprphotos markeos50d MIB nik300 streetmodel tonycsm Willjamieson