Reminder Secure

Full Frame Camera

Tempus Fugit is off-lineSilver Member
24 August 2014 10:20
pinkbuildingphotography
Photographer
pinkbuildingphotography
Tayside

A friend has asked for advice on a full frame camera.  He has not expressed any preference on brand etc.

Please can anyone let me know the pro's and con's of the main ones.  Nikon, Canon or Sony (or any other brands that do them Pentax don't however Olympus etc may do.)

I do not know this person's skill level as I know him through my other hobby of sea kayaking. 

Please also let me know if you would recomend the camera to your friends, family etc.

I am assuming that he will be using the camera for landscapes, portraites etc.  I am assuming that he will not be taking it Kayaking. 

Cheers

David

P.S. I have told him to get to a camera shop and find which one he likes when he handles them)
Riding on the Gotterdammerung. Down and down she goes. Where she stops no one knows.

Paul Hodson is off-line
24 August 2014 11:37
mph
Photographer
mph
Cheshire
Crewe

MONEY!!!

Nikon D610
Canon 6D

but if money is no object.............

Of course there is the Sony A7 models  if he wants something smaller (and not mainstream)

See

http://www.whatdigitalcamera.com/roundups/camera/515817/1/best-full-frame-dslrs-2014.html
Amateur - happy to do TF with models with potential and enthusiasm. Website: www.mphodson.co.uk

24 August 2014 12:05
pinkbuildingphotography
Photographer
pinkbuildingphotography
Tayside

Thanks
Riding on the Gotterdammerung. Down and down she goes. Where she stops no one knows.

marlham is off-line
24 August 2014 12:15
marlhamphoto
Photographer
This member has been reset to pending
marlhamphoto
Kent
Canterbury

If there's a chance he's going to be using it from his kayak then he needs to be aware that he'll lose some of the reach he's accustomed to getting from his current lenses.

24 August 2014 13:08
pinkbuildingphotography
Photographer
pinkbuildingphotography
Tayside

Quote from marlhamphoto
If there's a chance he's going to be using it from his kayak then he needs to be aware that he'll lose some of the reach he's accustomed to getting from his current lenses.

I would be very surprised.  Looking at the costs Ithink it  would be madness to take an SLR on a sea kayak.  

However I have heard of people do.  I wouldn't

marlham is off-line
24 August 2014 13:48
marlhamphoto
Photographer
This member has been reset to pending
marlhamphoto
Kent
Canterbury

Quote from pinkbuildingphotography
I would be very surprised.  Looking at the costs Ithink it  would be madness to take an SLR on a sea kayak.  

However I have heard of people do.  I wouldn't

I'm one of the mad ones

24 August 2014 14:58
pinkbuildingphotography
Photographer
pinkbuildingphotography
Tayside

Quote from marlhamphoto
I'm one of the mad ones

Brave, maybe.  I could not think about risking my dlr  by taking it to sea.

I could not afford to replace it.

Paul Riddell is off-line
26 August 2014 05:17
riddell
Photographer
riddell
Hertfordshire
berkhamsted

Canon or Nikon are the serious contendors, and he can of course buy a waterproof housing for both.

www.photographybyriddell.co.uk

26 August 2014 07:33
paule
Photographer

has to be loads of 2nd hand, from decent outlets, available now... Greys had loads of D800's on offer.. I bought a low shutter D3 from them recently and it's VG...

D610 for a Nikon has to be worth a look... maybe even the rumoured D750 if he can wait a little longer..

The Cherry Orchard  is off-line
26 August 2014 22:34
TheCherryOrchard
Photographer

South Yorkshire

I went from a Canon 500D to a Canon 6D & the full frame is better but I spent months researching & deciding which camera to upgrade too. There were other contenders on the day of purchase such as the Canon 5D MK3. The cropped factor on the 500D renders a 70-200mm lens something like 100-320mm but I got used to the full frame almost at once & a full frame captures more of everything.

3 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
Alicestar Stratman79
Spiritofwales