Studio Work/Jobs

Gareth Davies is off-line
14 August 2014 11:55
Snipet
Photographer
Snipet
Hampshire
Portsmouth

Ive been doing photography as a hobby for quite a few years now, and have really gotten into model photography over the last 2-3 years.

I currently work in retail but want to start in something photography related. Ideally working in a studio in some which, way or form.

Does anyone have any advice on what i should really be doing to make this happen, and the best place to find open positions I can apply for?

Look forward to any and all replies and help.

Gareth

14 August 2014 12:24
Catuaba
Photographer

My opinion only but.
It's unlikely in this current climate you will find a studio work job with a decent wage depending on where your based. Opening your own studio will kill you on rent and rates and unless your doing adult stuff you probably wont make much money in the modelling side. If any. Best bet is probably a very busy high street position with low rent and rates and doing family snap stuff during peak season. Or go mobile or home studio and do it that way. It's a competitive world when it comes to photography. The ones making money did it a different way with unique ideas.

Gareth Davies is off-line
14 August 2014 12:42
Snipet
Photographer
Snipet
Hampshire
Portsmouth

Im in Portsmouth, and in all honesty im on pretty much a minimum wage in my current job so cant get much lower in wages.
Did think it was going to be very very hard to get any type of work like I want to do.
I have invested in a mobile studio set-up, so I have lights, backdrops etc. so I can do home visit work.
Was just hoping to get some work in an actual studio aswell.

Ah well, I can only keep looking and keep my fingers crossed something might come up.

marlham is off-line
14 August 2014 12:49
marlhamphoto
Photographer
This member has been reset to pending
marlhamphoto
Kent
Canterbury

http://www.cruiseshipjob.com/photo.htm

KHV is off-line
18 August 2014 03:16
Keltica
Photographer
Keltica
London
London

I like the Cruise ship jobs link, guys with cameras you pop rolls of plastic in the back, and Multiblitz lighting, so 70's....

Seriously, I don't think any big commercial studios would take someone on without them having at least C&G or degree level qualifications, and not sure if there are any big commercial studios around your area.

If you want to get paid, then it's the weddings, the portraits the family groups that pay but of course there are lots more people doing that with more experience and business acumen than you have.

I really cannot suggest anything positive, as only you know the area and after all, running a business mean that you have to make those decisions yourself, as you have to make the business fit you and your circumstances, and others have no insight into that.

redbaron is off-lineSilver Member
18 August 2014 04:07
redbaron
Photographer
redbaron
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

Last figures I saw the UK creates more photography graduates each year than there are photographers earning a living from it.

I get enquiries every week from people looking just to work with us at there own expense. Snag is I would potentially just be training up a competitor, so even at nothing I'm wary about taking someone on just for the convenience of having the lights moved around for me.

Photography and Studio hire www.immortaleye.co.uk

Jaye  is off-line
18 August 2014 13:07
jessicard
Model
This member has been reset to pending
jessicard
Vale of Glamorgan
Cardiff

Im not a photographer so have no helpful input but have been reading a lot of business books lately & always have a chuckle when I always see "Photographer" listed as an easy, potential career/business to start up.
http://jayerose.tumblr.com/

19 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
Caela07 chandni23 jo80 Pebbles40 sammimical
63jian antoinewynn david1500 Djanimation Kiboko kildemo magpie1 mareeoosh Platidonio rcbb talldave68 thelook
photo39 ThePhotographyStudios