Star Shots is off-lineSilver Member
05 August 2014 10:40
Star_Shots
Photographer
Star_Shots
Northumberland
Blyth

Hi folks, need a little advice please.

I bought a refillable cartridge kit from a well know supplier in Jan 2012. The cartridges arrived full and the remainder of the ink was supplied in 100ml bottles, minus of course the amount in the cartridges.

All was well until I slowly noticed a degradation of quality from the prints, the ability to colour match from screen to paper was increasingly difficult and needed adjustments. 

After spending many months, using a load of ink and numerous sheets of expensive photo paper I gave up and decided the printer must have a fault.

I then after leaving it for a month or 2 decided to investigate further and did a simple test by dipping a cotton bud into the ink bottles and putting it on paper. This is when I discovered that the Magenta and Light Magenta appeared on paper to look the same colour.

What has been happening is that I was slowly diluting the Light Magenta in the cartridge with just Magenta, hence the slow degradation in quality.

I send a message to the supplier who asked for the bottles back.  They have today confirmed that they made a mistake and the ink in the Light Magenta bottle was in fact Magenta.

So problem solved, I need to flush the Light Magenta cartridge out, fill with the new Light Magenta they are sending and do a load of prints to flush the printer.

I’ve asked them to provide replacements for all of the inks given that i’ve wasted a load trying to rectify and to compensate for paper wasted.

They have offered 20% discount off a set of inks, increased to 30% when I complained further.   Would you take this any further ?  I have written admittance that they cocked up.

Sorry for the long post but I guess you need all the facts.

Thanks.

Paul Hodson is off-line
05 August 2014 11:03
mph
Photographer
mph
Cheshire
Crewe

I think you would be justified in so doing - but the question is how!
Amateur - happy to do TF with models with potential and enthusiasm. Website: www.mphodson.co.uk

markthetog is off-line
05 August 2014 11:08
markeewould
Photographer

West Midlands
Birmingham

I'm with you here, but there's a big difference between what they should do and what they will do and ultimately will offer as compensation, some things are just not worth the hassle - sad but true.

05 August 2014 12:49
Star_Shots
Photographer
Star_Shots
Northumberland
Blyth

I hope the judge is a photographer

Dave Beasley is off-line
05 August 2014 12:52
eosfan
Photographer
eosfan
Surrey
Guildford

Maybe work out what this has cost you in money and possibly time terms, tell them this is what you are seeking in compensation, see what they say and assuming a refusal, make a decision on whether you think taking them to the Small Claims Court is worthwhile. If you think it is, let them know that is what you are doing and do it.

05 August 2014 13:08
Star_Shots
Photographer
Star_Shots
Northumberland
Blyth

I'm going to do exactly that I think. A formal letter outlining my claim and then if they refuse I will take it to the small claims court.

Thanks for the advice.

G Jack B is off-line
06 August 2014 06:37
Plymjack
Photographer
Plymjack
Devon
Plymouth

well you can push for more - maybe worth a shot at a small claims but they will probably have limited liability given that the ink is not a H&S issue.
Real Bread Cook by day, BTL landlord & IT Guru - who said men can't multitask!

06 August 2014 07:02
Star_Shots
Photographer
Star_Shots
Northumberland
Blyth

What does H&S have to do with a consumer issue ?

Spike is off-line
08 August 2014 03:17
Spike
Photographer
Spike
Hertfordshire
St Albans

I would point out that because one of the inks was wrong it rendered the whole kit not fit for purpose & unless they can prove how such a kit as supplied to you could ever be fit for purpose., they should supply a complete set of inks.
"Photoshop is there to cut diamonds, not polish turds"

Imagefield is off-line
08 August 2014 11:24
Imagefield
Photographer
Imagefield
Greater Manchester
Manchester

You have 3 things to consider -

1 - is a simple contract law issue they failed to supply what you purchased and have admitted it, they should supply you with the correct item you paid for.

2 - There is a negligence issue, because they failed to fulfil their contract you have suffered (and will continue to suffer) a loss.
Flushing the wrong ink out may be a long difficult job where you will need to spend significant time and effort working to rectify the issue not to mention wear and tear,
even if you ever do finally manage to clean it out!

As such damages are a common law remedy and are available as of right when there has been a breach of contract (which there has been).

3 - So your ink supplier may well advised to supply you with all the cleaning fluids and ink you want as they will be getting off lightly. On the other hand it will be a right ass for you and the supplier to go into legal dispute so its probably about who cracks first and and you being sufficiently aggrieved and determined to take them on!

(are you speaking to the owner?)

22 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
Cfoxon cheekychap ElleLaura kacie RoxyMendez Sammi_1985 Teela
bbphotos bob22 brianappleyard cliffc dhuntuk grahamsphotography James7799 mike0048 nicolaslaborie panda49 philippahh Spiritofwales Thunder_Photos TinDolls tucker217