Public Liability Insurance

Tony Gray is off-lineGold Member
29 July 2014 12:14
tony121
Photographer
tony121
Tyne and Wear
Tyne & Wear

I shoot a lot of motor sport and looking for Public Liability Insurance all the companies I have contacted only cover if this is your full time employment, photography is only a hobby to me and the quotes they are giving are crazy.
Any help appreciated

Thankyou

RGBphoto is off-lineSilver Member
29 July 2014 13:01
magpie1
Photographer

Tyne and Wear
Newcastle

Public liability insurance is usually what one requires if undertaking activities, which may present a risk situation to third parties. Why do you feel you might need PI insurance, have you been advised, eg by the organisers of events you are attending that you should or must have it? How might your photography pose a risk to others? Don't take this wrongly, but PI does not cover recklessness. Do you, or are you seeking to attempt to gain payment from your motor sport photography, as this could make a difference.
A number of Insurers, eg Towergate, have 'semi pro' policies, which include PI at reasonable charge, it normally requires you to insure your equipment with the insurer as well.

29 July 2014 13:18
tony121
Photographer
tony121
Tyne and Wear
Tyne & Wear

The reason I am getting from the race tracks is if I want to be track side I must have Public Liability Insurance in case I distract any of the riders, drivers and the come off or have a accident during a race

Dave Beasley is off-line
29 July 2014 13:41
eosfan
Photographer
eosfan
Surrey
Guildford

I've moved all my insurance to Towergate - they offer equipment insurance, public liability, employee insurance, all at a reasonable price.

Dave

RGBphoto is off-lineSilver Member
29 July 2014 13:44
magpie1
Photographer

Tyne and Wear
Newcastle

Then, as I suspected, the organisers are wanting to try and ensure that they are not financially liable for any claims that might result. There are a couple of problems, big one, the potential claim sums could be massive. If some action of yours 'distracted' a driver, such that they ploughed into spectators etc. the total claims could be into many millions and we are in a society where every second TV advert is for an injury claims company. In these circumstances it's highly understandable why the organisers are wary. By allowing you to occupy a position where you could be a risk, the organisers are still liable to an extent, they are trying to ' lay off' some of the financial liability onto you.
In light of the potential claims, I'm not surprised you are getting very high quotes, I think a lot of insurances would not even be prepared to offer cover.

29 July 2014 13:45
tony121
Photographer
tony121
Tyne and Wear
Tyne & Wear

thanks for that insured with Towergate very reasonable

Nige Nw is off-lineSilver Member
29 July 2014 13:45
nige_nw
Photographer
nige_nw
Lancashire

I think there are several companies that will insure amateurs & semi-pros for PLI although possibly only if you insure your kit as well. Towergate and aaduki I think are quite prominent amongst others for Photo Insurance, although I am with Imaginginsurance (I think that's who they are called)

Edit - seems I am slow at typing

15 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
chosin ElleLaura emmac89 kev800 Leiigh19 prettypolly tanyacox
63jian digitizer dorrian HallsIp HarishPadalia Michaelangelo mlp
matt