Neil Anderson is off-line
01 August 2014 07:26
stolenfaces
Photographer
stolenfaces
London
West London

Quote from arkady001
Nobody sets up a website out of purely altruistic motives... they do it to make money.

As a stand-alone statement this is clearly untrue.
For example, my personal website is not set-up to make money and never has been.
Like any dealer he was watching for the card that is so high and wild he'll never need to deal another...

RKD Photographic is off-line
01 August 2014 07:42
arkady001
Photographer
arkady001
Germany
Iserlohn

Quote from marlhamphoto
The website already exists. The issue is whether further development will achieve anything.

Investment whilst activity persists is one thing. Investment in the [perhaps vain] hope that activity will grow in the future is another thing altogether.

People have already chosen to kick the place in the teeth once so I can understand a lack of appetite to bow to peoples' cries.

Which is what people have been questioning. Is the site being allowed to wither and die or does the owner seek to reinvigorate through implementation of features that more than a few members have asked for? The lack of social media links for reasons of model safety seems spurious at best...
"When I hold a camera, I know no fear..." - Alfred Eisenstadt

01 August 2014 08:17
stolenfaces
Photographer
stolenfaces
London
West London

Quote from arkady001
Which is what people have been questioning. Is the site being allowed to wither and die or does the owner seek to reinvigorate through implementation of features that more than a few members have asked for? The lack of social media links for reasons of model safety seems spurious at best...

Do you remember myspace. It died not because Facebook was better, but because when it started loosing members Myspace just tried to ape Facebook (instead of building on its undoubted strengths) , so there was no point in it at all as it was just as annoying as Facebook but less trendy.

Most of the people who are still here may be so because they don't think integrating with facebook is worthwhile (or safe as it happens). Why not list the brilliant features which members have asked for. I can't remember anything worthwhile; presumably the constant complaints that people are in the wrong county or that the site doesn't publish models addresses are of little interest to you in Germany.
Like any dealer he was watching for the card that is so high and wild he'll never need to deal another...

Skymouse is off-lineGold Member
01 August 2014 08:23
skymouse
Photographer
skymouse
London
London

A small handful of people are active on Forums. Doesn't matter if it's here, there or anywhere.

When the forums on PS were busier, much of it was a mixture of rants and raves, arguing the toss, and attention-seeking (and giving)—just as it has been on other sites. Trends in the quantity of such discussion are hardly apocalyptic.

In my observation, a good deal of the comment on other sites about this one and on this site about other sites is tribal in origin, and should be taken with a pinch of salt.

Meanwhile, every single person I've spoken to in private who has reduced or ended their use of model photography sites or portfolio hosting sites say they've done so because the sites as a whole fall short of their business needs, no one site having a monopoly on shortcomings. These are people for whom modelling or model photography is a full time occupation and they're fed up with trying to shoe-horn serious needs into the toytown milieu of the various sites.
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others." - Groucho Marx.

Malc is off-lineSilver Member
01 August 2014 11:01
cziiki
Photographer
cziiki
London
London

Quote from stolenfaces
Why don't they just use Facebook then ?

The more professional models will (and do) have a personal website as a hub to all their activities (and can be linked to here).

Using Facebook as a hub is not for anyone serious. It is quite easy to get someone's Facebook account suspended if you have a malicious rival so it doesn't make any sense to make it your hub site if you are a serious model. Obviously it is ideal for 'models' who don't take anything seriously and don't want to pay for anything.

These threads always fail to distinguish between the very different requirements of different groups of users. Those who want to spend all day on the forums discussing the same five topics or just want to swop sycophantic comments seem to have left for sites that cater for them better.

Maybe that was once the case but I've had models tell they more than half their booking though Facebook.

RKD Photographic is off-line
01 August 2014 11:05
arkady001
Photographer
arkady001
Germany
Iserlohn

Quote from stolenfaces
As a stand-alone statement this is clearly untrue. For example, my personal website is not set-up to make money and never has been.

Irrelevant. Your personal website does not actively seek subscribers to finance it, does not offer to host model or photographer portfolios and does not have a forum set aside for the use of the membership. Purestorm is obviously not a personal website.
Anyone with half a brain knew what I meant by my post, but it's obviously easier to be a tiresome pedant than offer anything constructive to the mix. One of the reasons people move around so much on these sites is that irritating arkady001 is a naughty person wits like you keep picking holes in their posts rather than engaging on an adult level.

"When I hold a camera, I know no fear..." - Alfred Eisenstadt

Bob is off-linePlatinum Member
01 August 2014 12:13
Bob
Photographer
Bob
Devon
Honiton

Quote from arkady001
Anyone with half a brain knew what I meant by my post

Possibly, but that doesn't mean you were right with your assertion.

Anyone who has met Matt and talked to him about how Purestorm came about, as quite a few of us did a couple of years back when he attended some of the London socials at The Chandos and The Moon Under The Water, will be aware that he never intended for this website to be a commercial venture. It was merely an offshoot of another university project to create a listings site for the travel industry where his main web development experience is. However, this place took off in a way Matt, and Tim who handled the server side, never envisaged and they had to start bringing in some revenue to cover escalating costs.

When Matt first offered us expanded portfolios in late 2007 I was among the first to take out a subscription as not only was this place more lively than the others, such as OMP, Net-Model, AllModelZone, MuseCube, ModelMayhem and Web-Models etc. but it was also considerably better value for money than most of them and a hell of a lot more reliable than some. As one who is often accused of being a "tight Scots git", albeit one who back in the last decade maintained paid profiles on almost all the sites with the exception the rather garish OMP, I spotted instantly that this place was well worth supporting and I also encouraged a number of model and photographer friends made on other sites to do likewise.

Over time most of these model and photographer sites have declined, not least because t'internet and the model photography scene and the modelling industry have all diverged and diluted over the last ten to fifteen years. Such is life.

Remember MySpace? The social networking site of 2003 which everybody said models and photographers just had to belong to. In the UK it was kicked into touch by Bebo, the social networking site of 2006 which everybody said models and photographers just had to belong to. Within a couple of years Bebo was massacred by Facebook, the next social networking site which everybody said models and photographers just had to belong to. No doubt in due course that place will be superceded by something perceived to be better. That's t'internet for you, and anyone who hasn't worked that one out probably thinks Net-Portfolio, the Net-Model / Web-Models clone, is the place to be seen.

Bob

01 August 2014 12:45
stolenfaces
Photographer
stolenfaces
London
West London

Quote from arkady001
Irrelevant. Your personal website does not actively seek subscribers to finance it, does not offer to host model or photographer portfolios and does not have a forum set aside for the use of the membership. Purestorm is obviously not a personal website.

Anyone with half a brain knew what I meant by my post, but it's obviously easier to be a tiresome pedant than offer anything constructive to the mix. One of the reasons people move around so much on these sites is that irritating stolenfaces is a naughty person wits like you keep picking holes in their posts rather than engaging on an adult level.

So still no answer to my question about what improvements you are proposing?
Suggesting that you actually produce specific recommendations is obviously just pedantry which must be so off-putting for someone who likes to make vague statements in support of dubious arguments.

[sorry to ask you to present a positive approach - must be terribly annoying for you]

Catherine is off-lineSilver Member
04 August 2014 05:25
catherinewilliams
Model
catherinewilliams
West Midlands
Ross-on-wye

Haven't been here much lately.I have a quick look occasionally at the castings.Only one locally but seems rather tacky.

What I like about the "other place" is the statistics and loves.Here there is no way of knowing if anyone has looked at images unless they comment or one put ups a portfolio review which generally spoils my day!

I have added some of my new ones, had to get rid of a lot due to the much smaller allowance here but I expect its mainly the same people who will look.
I once spent a weekend in Bath, with ass-kicking mum of 8 Miss Cath. No offence to this mummy, the play-fighting was funny. But now I might need an Osteopath! by Laya Randle-Conde

Profile Pictures is off-line
04 August 2014 17:59
profilepictures
Photographer
profilepictures
Suffolk
Bury St Edmunds

My last two paid casting calls have attracted no suitable models, I'd suggest there aren't enough reliable models here now. Why not make full membership for models free? What's to lose?

15 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
Hann Michelledefeo1 samanthajane4 Yenguo
aprilscherz3 davemac grahamsphotography iestyn JimPow MauricesImagery Peter_d_photography Platidonio rscott360 severndigital xposed