29 July 2014 08:54
marlhamphoto
Photographer
This member has been reset to pending
marlhamphoto
Kent
Canterbury

Quote from cziiki
Facebook is full of models linking to their portfolios, their competition entries, their 'share-a-shoot' pages....

Which is a pain in the arse if you click on the link to their portfolio only to be advised that it or the image doesn't exist. When of course it does but you can't access it if you're either not a member or not logged in. Filling up people's timelines with dead links invariably results in an 'un-friend' - from me at least.

Malc is off-lineSilver Member
29 July 2014 09:25
cziiki
Photographer
cziiki
London
London

Quote from marlhamphoto
Which is a pain in the arse if you click on the link to their portfolio only to be advised that it or the image doesn't exist. When of course it does but you can't access it if you're either not a member or not logged in. Filling up people's timelines with dead links invariably results in an 'un-friend' - from me at least.

haha that's one reaction, funny! (if it's a joke, not sure)

Matthew G is off-line
29 July 2014 09:30
MG
Photographer
MG
Warwickshire

I hope that I am not speaking out of place here but the reason that I understand why PS is slipping away gradually is that it requires such hard work to get it back to where it should be and the powers that be lack enthusiasm for it. I can't blame them for that. It requires so so much work but the main part is sorting out fallings out between photographers and models. He said that, she promised that..... I should think there are tens if not hundreds of complaints made every day on sites like these. I for one would not want to run a site like this. There is also a real risk of what people are uploading. If someone goes and uploads something they shouldn't then the site owner is responsible.

It doesn't help the situation and it doesn't make it right but the truth is that sites like this aren't very commercially viable unless they run advertising which they don't seem to...

Anthonygh is off-line
29 July 2014 10:24
anthonyh
Photographer

Kent

Quote from MG
I hope that I am not speaking out of place here but the reason that I understand why PS is slipping away gradually is that it requires such hard work to get it back to where it should be and the powers that be lack enthusiasm for it. I can't blame them for that. It requires so so much work but the main part is sorting out fallings out between photographers and models. He said that, she promised that..... I should think there are tens if not hundreds of complaints made every day on sites like these. I for one would not want to run a site like this. There is also a real risk of what people are uploading. If someone goes and uploads something they shouldn't then the site owner is responsible. It doesn't help the situation and it doesn't make it right but the truth is that sites like this aren't very commercially viable unless they run advertising which they don't seem to...

The problem with your analysis is that PP and a couple of other sites seem to be doing well...without advertising.

Obviously I don't know what income is generated for the owners of this site. I suspect it is in sharp decline and that is one reason for a general  lack of interest. However, there is no reason why a site like this can't go back to the drawing board, review its business model and operating rules...and use its current customer base to 'relaunch'.

However...similar suggestions were made during the period Net-Model (which was big) started to decline. A visit to that site will demonstrate what happens when the owner still doesn't bother.

Neil Anderson is off-line
29 July 2014 11:23
stolenfaces
Photographer
stolenfaces
London
West London

Quote from cziiki
An initial and ongoing problem has been usefulness to models because of intrusive censorship. It's a matter of how useful it is to have a portfolio on the site. While for example there is massive cross linking on twitter, facebook, instagram etc., on Purestorm there is all this nonsensical {link removed} {facebook link not allowed} {not a modeling page} blah blah blah. In a world of website monetizing by up-selling of features and advertising from free (and encouraged) cross linking with the rest of the world, PS was trying to make itself exclusive and therefore a 'must-join' site. But now its not a must-join because there is one major competitor and a few up-and-coming ones too. Facebook is full of models linking to their portfolios, their competition entries, their 'share-a-shoot' pages.... but not on PS because they can't. Open up to the world and compete on features, not trying to be exclusive! put facebook links on pages, encourage tweeting of castings and shouts, start living in the modern world!

Why don't they just use Facebook then ?

The more professional models will (and do) have a personal website as a hub to all their activities (and can be linked to here).

Using Facebook as a hub is not for anyone serious. It is quite easy to get someone's Facebook account suspended if you have a malicious rival so it doesn't make any sense to make it your hub site if you are a serious model. Obviously it is ideal for 'models' who don't take anything seriously and don't want to pay for anything.

These threads always fail to distinguish between the very different requirements of different groups of users. Those who want to spend all day on the forums discussing the same five topics or just want to swop sycophantic comments seem to have left for sites that cater for them better.
Like any dealer he was watching for the card that is so high and wild he'll never need to deal another...

MPhoto is off-line
29 July 2014 15:05
davajones
Photographer

Cambridgeshire
Peterborough

Can anyone point me to the 'wall of shame' that has been mentioned on here. Also does it only list people who have been banned from this site, or does it include people who have been banned on other sites, and have then registered and been approved by this site.

w4pictures is off-line
29 July 2014 17:19
w4pictures
Photographer
w4pictures
London
Chiswick

It's currently about two thirds down the list of forum threads on the home page. It lists only cereal offenders, otherwise known as cheerios.

The facebook issue has been comprehensively documented in a dozen threads about safety. It may seem old-fashioned to keep messaging strictly on site but so is writing down observations in a book and presenting it as evidence in court. If a site assumes any kind of pastoral care, why would it embrace the biggest area of grey ever devised?

Hugh is off-lineGold Member
30 July 2014 02:34
Hugh
Photographer
Hugh
Dyfed
Aberystwyth

Quote from stolenfaces
Using Facebook as a hub is not for anyone serious.

I probably have about 100 serious photographers and models round the world among my Facebook friends list. Certainly it's the first method of communication for casual chat, and for sharing pictures.
It's not Fine Art just because it's in Black and White.

EdT is off-line
30 July 2014 03:35
EdT
Photographer
EdT
Cambridgeshire

Quote from stolenfaces
Why don't they just use Facebook then ?

The more professional models will (and do) have a personal website as a hub to all their activities (and can be linked to here).

Using Facebook as a hub is not for anyone serious. It is quite easy to get someone's Facebook account suspended if you have a malicious rival so it doesn't make any sense to make it your hub site if you are a serious model. Obviously it is ideal for 'models' who don't take anything seriously and don't want to pay for anything.

I don't think you understand facebook. It can be a very powerful business tool. We get a lot of our business (software/manufacturing) that way.

Purestorm is off-line
30 July 2014 04:58
Purestorm
Photographer

East Sussex

Quote from w4pictures
The facebook issue has been comprehensively documented in a dozen threads about safety.

Moderators have tried to explain for quite some time that there are very specific problems
of mostly (but not exclusively) a Model Safety nature which arise over social networking links
being displayed on the publicly visible areas of this website but some members are unprepared
to accept that the only reason for not allowing such links is to prevent these problems surfacing.

Moderators and Management have discussed this issue many times over the last five or six years
and the bottom line taken by the Moderators has been that their consciences will not allow them
to turn a blind eye to the sometimes very serious problems* that some of our members face.

* We do not really want to go into precise details of what these problems are in open forum as the last thing we need is a plague of copycats.
Premium members can read more here 

21 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
Chaosoftrouble fashion29
Auctioneer Blancho digitalsugar djb1 Einstein explorerzone gshocker30 Jamesherbert jipe11 JOOPninja lickerishlibrary Mharris philippahh rscott360 shadowtime74 thelook Toby1984 whitepython Willjamieson