This thread is being watched by 1 person
w4pictures is off-line
28 July 2014 11:04
w4pictures
Photographer
w4pictures
London
Chiswick

Think of it as being a member of a club that's a bit more exclusive than the one down the road.

In terms of model safety alone, the culture of thoroughness in checking membership credentials is only to be welcomed. Its no more anooying than shuffling along in the queue at airport security and the benefits are similarly obvious.

Nige Nw is off-lineSilver Member
28 July 2014 11:27
nige_nw
Photographer
nige_nw
Lancashire

I don't (or very very rarely) put up casting calls and as I am not shooting much these days it probably doesn't matter but I really do see it very similar to the early stages that saw the decline of NM & (quite?) a few on here will know how that has ended up.

I admit I tend to work with models I already know but I also use viewing the models' casting calls as a way of seeing who is out there etc.

Yes there is (quite possibly a largish as I have no idea of those who don't post in the forums etc) core on here who find this site works for them but to me it seems not to be expanding in activity but shrinking.
I see the model's castings calls have declined significantly to maybe only a handful a day this to me is not a healthy state of affairs going forward.

Those of you do put up castings for models may not have noticed a decline in responses - I don't know - but I do suspect overall there is a drop, even if a few thrive.

There needs to be sufficient numbers of both photographers and models to keep things alive

I like the site but ultimately I will only stay active where other activity is & as I am no longer working personally each year I will review where I pay subs. (this year I could not afford to stay at gold & down graded) if it continues as I see it next year I may have to review silver

FlashBangWallop is off-line
28 July 2014 11:50
FlashBangWallop
Photographer
FlashBangWallop
Lancashire
Blackpool

Quote from w4pictures
Think of it as being a member of a club that's a bit more exclusive than the one down the road.

I just did a search for a model in Lancashire (any level) and selected show those logged in recently first.
On first 20 profiles only 5 had logged in within a week

That cant be good for business.

marlham is off-line
28 July 2014 12:10
marlhamphoto
Photographer
This member has been reset to pending
marlhamphoto
Kent
Canterbury

Quote from FlashBangWallop
I just did a search for a model in Lancashire (any level) and selected show those logged in recently first.

LOL. Not only is that statement factually inaccurate but it it's also a totally ignorant representation of the results a search will give due to the way subscription levels are grouped. And in any case what's the significance of whether someone's logged in within a week as opposed to two weeks or a month...

FlashBangWallop is off-line
28 July 2014 12:20
FlashBangWallop
Photographer
FlashBangWallop
Lancashire
Blackpool

I didnt make the statement to belittle the site Marlham. Fair point it is showing subscribed members first but when the subscribed members arn't logging in very often I'd find that a little worrying.

Whats the significance...come on...if someone is looking for a model and a result shows she's not logged in for a month most people would just scroll on by.

Bob is off-linePlatinum Member
28 July 2014 12:54
Bob
Photographer
Bob
Devon
Honiton

Quote from FlashBangWallop

I think you'll find it's pretty much the same on all the sites at the moment, unless you happen to be looking in one of a couple of small hotspot areas.

Over the last couple of weeks I've been looking on four sites for models localish to a number of specific places in the south and southwest where I would have liked to have shot in the hot weather. As these would have had to have been early morning shoots, after checking availability of those I have previously worked with, I searched for suitable models relatively close to the locations rather than posting casting calls which I can pretty much guarantee would have attracted those who either were far too distant or were totally unsuitable. I was amazed at how long it had actually been since many on the search result lists (filtered by recent activity) had logged into their accounts on any of the sites; and that included quite a few who I know last time I was in touch with them were pretty much fulltime availability models.

It seems to me that the whole scene has diminished considerably over the last couple of years, and I don't think that is due to new sites diluting the numbers. True, you still see the odd totally unrealistic wannabe and the occasional drama llama who is attention-seeking rising to short term prominence on one site or another, but on the whole I reckon that the sort of 'occasional model' who used to regularly pack out this type of site in the heyday (i.e. three to seven years ago) is no longer interested. A small core of hard-working and talented long-term models can still be found with profiles on all the sites, and indeed I have shot with some of them over the last couple of months, but they are in the minority and they are nowhere near as numersous as they were during the last half of the last decade.

Mind you this is probably only to be expected, with both social sites like TwitFace etc. giving the wannabes an outlet where they can preen and pretend to be the Next Top Model In My Town / Village and the demise of the Lads Mags making those models with a little bit more drive than the wannabes no longer a potential candidate for the 'newsstand glamour scene'. I also don't suppose the rise of overly-PC and sometimes inhuman Human Resources Officers snooping around the web, like members of the Spanish Inquisition in their bid to find 'incriminating evidence' to prove that job applicants are actually witches who will drag the company or organisation into disrepute, are making it easy for models to consider being on websites like this either.

However, speaking as one of those guys who is not addicted to shooting each and every local newbie/teen who appears on the scene, I actually quite like the smaller pool of available models on here as it means I don't have to politely reply to (sometimes tens of) wholly unsuitable applicants each time I post a casting call nor do I risk attracting the wrath of minimal experience drama llamas when I don't agree to shoot them at rates greater than highly experienced models with a great portfolio can rightfully command.

Bob

PS. I trust the ending of this post isn't too positive for those whose glasses are half empty.

Pentti Pohjonen is off-lineSilver Member
28 July 2014 13:22
PHP_Photography
Photographer
PHP_Photography
Finland
VAASA

Quote from SandyCamel
Why do you say that I wonder ?

There seem to be very few models from Finland ?

I am probably missing something very obvious, so please forgive me - just curious.

There are more non UK models here and stats are also metric.

Jonathan is off-line
28 July 2014 14:05
SandyCamel
Photographer
SandyCamel
Nottinghamshire

Quote from PHP_Photography
There are more non UK models here and stats are also metric.

Sorry - I genuinely don't understand your response to my query.

Just me being stupid probably.

Relax, take it easy and float down-stream with the Sandy Camel

Malc is off-lineSilver Member
28 July 2014 19:06
cziiki
Photographer
cziiki
London
London

An initial and ongoing problem has been usefulness to models because of intrusive censorship. It's a matter of how useful it is to have a portfolio on the site. While for example there is massive cross linking on twitter, facebook, instagram etc., on Purestorm there is all this nonsensical {link removed} {facebook link not allowed} {not a modeling page} blah blah blah. In a world of website monetizing by up-selling of features and advertising from free (and encouraged) cross linking with the rest of the world, PS was trying to make itself exclusive and therefore a 'must-join' site. But now its not a must-join because there is one major competitor and a few up-and-coming ones too. Facebook is full of models linking to their portfolios, their competition entries, their 'share-a-shoot' pages.... but not on PS because they can't. Open up to the world and compete on features, not trying to be exclusive! put facebook links on pages, encourage tweeting of castings and shouts, start living in the modern world!

Hugh is off-lineGold Member
29 July 2014 02:44
Hugh
Photographer
Hugh
Dyfed
Aberystwyth

Quote from cziiki
... Facebook is full of models linking to their portfolios, their competition entries, their 'share-a-shoot' pages.... but not on PS because they can't...

Exactly.
Adapt to the new world, or die a slow death... and that would be a shame.
It's not Fine Art just because it's in Black and White.

28 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
Marcrot Sammi_1985 Summerbrook
ad360photo ansonphotography dailand dannyrich david1500 dhuntuk digitizer dorrian eltel fashionphotography gkeesuk gordon guitarman Ianmcculloch ignite johnmphoto kai_kul Ladiesman Lumiere nemesis PhilStorm poah vipimages Willjamieson
photo39