All I hear about PS is negative........

This thread is being watched by 1 person
Stu-Art UK is off-line
27 July 2014 12:05
stu_art
Photographer
stu_art
Dorset

I like this site, and I like another site (which is not the one most people refer too)...

Not sure that we all hear bad things about PS, I confess little has changed since I first joined, but then it does what it says on the box, its a hosting site for portfolios.

In our capitalist world, its good to have competition, for that drives improvements and changes, if however income has not reduced as dramatically as people seem to suggest, then why would one invest money in changing things that do not need fixing.....

The measure of success for these portfolio sites is probably the activity of the models. I have always had a good enough response to castings, and seen enough castings for me to react to. But perhaps we are all just spending that little bit less on hiring models and shooting these days (perhaps supported by the increase in studios that are also packing up).... also it's interesting to see how many models have created 'Model Pages' on Facebook and have material followers and possibly have never been on a Portfolio site.

"Capture what you see, see what you captured"

Skymouse is off-lineGold Member
27 July 2014 12:08
skymouse
Photographer
skymouse
London
London

I think none of the existing sites yet has the one ingredient which will be the deciding factor in the future. I don't think any of them will embrace it, either.

That said, I get the impression PS has a fundamentally different business model from that of other sites, in that it openly states (unless they've changed it now) that established model photographers are welcome to apply. Not just photographers, or photographers who have done it for x years, or those whose standards meet some judge's criteria, or who only do it as an occupation, or any other criteria one could postulate. It invites established model photographers.

This often forgotten aspect means that PS's foundations are hewn from different stone from that of other sites.

I think these foundations happen to give PS a unique advantage not enjoyed by the other sites, if it ever should happen to take on the as-yet under-exploited areas to which I alluded. The flip side is that by neglecting those areas, it risks falling short of its potential.
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others." - Groucho Marx.

Oliver Cook is off-line
27 July 2014 13:23
artistoli
Photographer
artistoli
Malta

Quote from skymouse
I think none of the existing sites yet has the one ingredient which will be the deciding factor in the future. I don't think any of them will embrace it, either. That said, I get the impression PS has a fundamentally different business model from that of other sites, in that it openly states (unless they've changed it now) that established model photographers are welcome to apply. Not just photographers, or photographers who have done it for x years, or those whose standards meet some judge's criteria, or who only do it as an occupation, or any other criteria one could postulate. It invites established model photographers. This often forgotten aspect means that PS's foundations are hewn from different stone from that of other sites. I think these foundations happen to give PS a unique advantage not enjoyed by the other sites, if it ever should happen to take on the as-yet under-exploited areas to which I alluded. The flip side is that by neglecting those areas, it risks falling short of its potential.

What are the other areas to which you allude? 

PS does need to do something, but please, please, please don't go the way of the 'other site.' Whilst some people haven't had any issues with their management, I cancelled my membership after one week because of the communication I recieved from their management - seriously, I've been disgusted with plenty of businesses in my time, but I have never ever seen such shockingly unprofessional customer service as that of 'the other site.' Maybe I just caught them on a bad day, but seriously, out of principle I will never give them another penny as long as I live. I'd happilly subscribe to a paid membership on PS again, but only if it become more active, as its just not worth it right now. 

Oliver Cook is off-line
27 July 2014 13:25
artistoli
Photographer
artistoli
Malta

May a range of 'Save Purestorm' T-shirts!

27 July 2014 13:40
skymouse
Photographer
skymouse
London
London

Quote from artistoli
What are the other areas to which you allude? 

I think the turning point will be when a site fully gears itself more effectively to benefit people working commercially (regardless of the genre or the sphere of commerce). Ideally such a site would also accomodate hobbyists as well, as the existing sites do.  I don't really want to go into a lot of detail as I don't think it's something that will be embraced.
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others." - Groucho Marx.

Nige Nw is off-lineSilver Member
27 July 2014 13:51
nige_nw
Photographer
nige_nw
Lancashire

Quote from skymouse
I think the turning point will be when a site fully gears itself more effectively to benefit people working commercially (regardless of the genre or the sphere of commerce). Ideally such a site would also accomodate hobbyists as well, as the existing sites do.  I don't really want to go into a lot of detail as I don't think it's something that will be embraced.

I actually suspect that most work on these sites is not actually done by commercial photographers but mainly hobbyists. I know there are some photograhers on here are sourcing models for commercial ventures & that is their sole purpose but I am guessing that the majority is not.

27 July 2014 14:31
skymouse
Photographer
skymouse
London
London

Quote from nige_nw
I actually suspect that most work on these sites is not actually done by commercial photographers but mainly hobbyists. I know there are some photograhers on here are sourcing models for commercial ventures & that is their sole purpose but I am guessing that the majority is not.

I wouldn't be surprised to find that hobbyists on these sites are a majority, even a huge majority.

Is the relative absence of commercial photographers a sign that there's lack of demand, or a sign that demand is not being exploited?

EdT is off-line
27 July 2014 14:51
EdT
Photographer
EdT
Cambridgeshire

Quote from skymouse
I wouldn't be surprised to find that hobbyists on these sites are a majority, even a huge majority.

Is the relative absence of commercial photographers a sign that there's lack of demand, or a sign that demand is not being exploited?

Exactly, any site aiming itself at commercial photographers and considering hobbyists as second class cotizens will have meagre pickings.

Nige Nw is off-lineSilver Member
27 July 2014 14:53
nige_nw
Photographer
nige_nw
Lancashire

Quote from skymouse

I suspect most commercial photography goes through agencies, letting them cover off issues such as reliability &  sourcing alternatives in case of problems etc rather than these sites but I could be wrong

27 July 2014 15:56
skymouse
Photographer
skymouse
London
London

EdT and nige_nw, I agree with both of you, while perhaps drawing different conclusions.

Yes, if hobbyist photographers are treated as second class citizens this will be a failure. Hobbyist photographers and commercial photographers to some extent share the same model base and the resulting circulation of opportunities and experience is a strength not to dismiss lightly.

And yes, lots of commercial photography uses agencies, but by no means all. Some areas do not and cannot involve agencies. Models are also becoming increasingly self sufficient and self-organising and I don't see this trend abating.

23 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
celebrateeverymoment
antoinewynn Daddylonglense Don_Dark flawless_photo Images1854 ImageStyle Kjoservices Ladiesman marchondowntheline metro MIB michael_cameraman mlp philippahh Rare1953 Richo2929 rod_m99 rscott360 Steveharratt Wtphotos Zuiko
grailmodels