15 August 2014 12:43
Bob
Photographer
Bob
Devon
Honiton

Quote from stolenfaces
Common sense tells you that ...

Since when did Common Sense play any part on internet sites and forums? Surely that concept died around 23rd August 1991.
Bob

Dominic Thurmer is off-linePlatinum Member
15 August 2014 13:23
dominicdgt
Photographer
dominicdgt
Kent
Gillingham

Quote from stolenfaces

Which people ? Common sense tells you that the pictures which are viewed most are the ones with least clothes.
Do you think such a fatuous and fake feature would attract suitable models, or would it attract hopeless wannabes ?

Whilst I use Facebook extensively I am not interested in stalking young models (or old models) nor in having them follow me.
If Facebook is so essential for models why do they need any modelling portfolio site ?

Many models set and hold on to images on Model Mayhem based on the views and comments they get, it's a popular tool on that site.

I feel we're getting to a stage where no Facebook profile and no real sense of who you are and it can be more likely for models to pass on by especially if faced with choice or uncertainty. I personally think Purestorms driving force for decisions is based hassle, or the lack of it in a lot of the policies in place. Clearly when faced with Facebook links there were concerns about cross platform access which might have had issues for safety, I don't get it and the ratio of my site use has shifted accordingly.

Jen Somerfield ♥ is off-lineGold Member
15 August 2014 15:46
JenSomerfield
Model
JenSomerfield
Bristol
Bristol

I'm not bothered by image views, I do like comments though

Matt Harper is off-line
15 August 2014 16:44
mattharper
Photographer
mattharper
Devon
Paignton

Quote from redbaron
I really cannot fathom what you have against viewing stats. I doubt anyone uses them in the primitive way you suggest. If you are considering which images to replace on your own portfolio the stats help provide some insignt into which images are working. I would not compare hits on a nude with a fashion image, thats idiotic but I may look at several fashion images and see the views for one confirm my own opinion that is it s weakest and needs replacing.

Equally if I was looking for inspiration in a specific genre the views on other portfolios may help in getting a feel for what works and what does not.

Labourites don't like accurate, unarguable statistics

digineil is off-line
15 August 2014 18:50
digineil
Photographer
digineil
Staffordshire

Quote from mattharper

Labour and the ConDems are the same thing. This is why so many people don't vote

Neil Anderson is off-line
16 August 2014 03:23
stolenfaces
Photographer
stolenfaces
London
West London

Quote from mattharper

Are image views accurate unarguable statistics ? Of course they aren't, only someone simple would think that.
Also: if you view ps on a large monitor you don't need to click on the pictures to see them at a viewable size (unlike other sites where the thumbnails are tiny squares)
When you click on a picture does that mean you liked it or were you just clicking because you thought the thumbnail made the model look enormous or generally wierd, or you thought the outfit looked nice, or the location looks familiar.

You only need to look at the comments on photos to know that many of the viewers wouldn't know a good photo if it bit them on the arm and probably haven't booked a model for years (if ever).
For any serious model one paying photographer who likes one of their images is worth hundreds of thousands of drive-by views.
To base your image selection on popularity would very likely be counter productive.

I find the image views on mm useful because there is no loaded date on mm so in looking for the most recent photos of a model they are more likely to be ones without so many views.
The lack of uploaded date or copyright date on mm is a serious failure for those selected models to work with.

So to your little post - image viewing stats are as reliable as most of the propaganda statistics put out by the Torys that simple people think are true and meaningful, but educated people know are deliberately phrased to give a false impression. At least UKIP don't pretend that their stats are anything other than made-up.
Like any dealer he was watching for the card that is so high and wild he'll never need to deal another...

Matt Harper is off-line
16 August 2014 03:37
mattharper
Photographer
mattharper
Devon
Paignton

I see, so the image view counters don't work accurately. That's going to disappoint some people.
Basing image selection on popularity is what most people do, as they remove and add images, they are bound to keep the most viewed (image views tell you this) and on comments. To think otherwise would be odd.

EdT is off-line
16 August 2014 04:52
EdT
Photographer
EdT
Cambridgeshire

Quote from stolenfaces

Which people ? Common sense tells you that the pictures which are viewed most are the ones with least clothes.
Do you think such a fatuous and fake feature would attract suitable models, or would it attract hopeless wannabes ?

Whilst I use Facebook extensively I am not interested in stalking young models (or old models) nor in having them follow me.
If Facebook is so essential for models why do they need any modelling portfolio site ?

Which people? Maybe the 700 who have joined the other site in the last week compared to the "however many" here?

And maybe they need both Facebook and a modelling portfolio site, rather than one or the other. And, how about this for a good idea, it might be really good if they could link the two together. Oh sorry, really dumb idea.

Seriously, the fact that this site has become a graveyard compared to PP, and that most here people are saying it would be a good idea, doesn't make you think that, maybe just this once, you're not on the side of the majority?

Paul Hodson is off-line
16 August 2014 06:15
mph
Photographer
mph
Cheshire
Crewe

Quote from stolenfaces
When you click on a picture does that mean you liked it or were you just clicking because you thought the thumbnail made the model look enormous or generally wierd, or you thought the outfit looked nice, or the location looks familiar.

Or in my case (on another site) I click on any thumbnail I think looks exceptionally tacky so I can add the model/photographer to my huge "block" list!  smiley
Amateur - happy to do TF with models with potential and enthusiasm. Website: www.mphodson.co.uk

Matt Harper is off-line
16 August 2014 06:31
mattharper
Photographer
mattharper
Devon
Paignton

Quote from mph
Or in my case (on another site) I click on any thumbnail I think looks exceptionally tacky so I can add the model/photographer to my huge "block" list!  smiley

How many are you up to now? 

4 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
Kingpanther786
bogan carshaltonkev Steveh32