This thread is being watched by 1 person
GCImages is off-line
26 July 2014 19:55
GSC4X
Photographer
GSC4X
Gloucestershire
Gloucester

I have over 200 references on this this site, so I won't want to lose those.

But all I hear is negativity.  My last shoot from here was November.  So many comments on fb and other sites about being frustrated at 'awaiting approval'.  Models and photographers on other sites (doing quite well) are refused access (some even on the wall of shame).  Can site admin please have a short sharp shock and hopefully believe that the rest of the world really isn't against them.  Yes, you have weeded out some (most) of the twats, but you are bleeding yourself to oblivion.

Paul Hodson is off-line
27 July 2014 02:02
mph
Photographer
mph
Cheshire
Crewe

I don't think letting someone from the "Wall of Shame" onto other sites is necessarily a good thing! There are and have been enough complaints (on other sites too) about long established and previously respected photographers to take it seriously.
Amateur - happy to do TF with models with potential and enthusiasm. Website: www.mphodson.co.uk

ForumModerator is a moderatorPlatinum Member
27 July 2014 04:12
ForumModerator

West Sussex

Quote from GSC4X
So many comments on fb and other sites about being frustrated at 'awaiting approval'. 

Our 'Approvals Fairies', as MadMod calls them, review applications* several times each day.
They also advise those who have not, or have badly, completed their application how to rectify.
Advice for new applicants is given here - those who won't, don't or can't comply are not Approved.

Quote from GSC4X
Models and photographers on other sites (doing quite well) are refused access (some even on the wall of shame).

Only those who have caused serious problems are, after ignoring due warning,  added to the Wall of Shame.
We appreciate that some other sites accept members and behaviour that Purestorm find unacceptable.
We also realise that some we exclude from this site can be economical with the truth regarding their exclusion.
We do not plan to invite back any Suspendees who, after clear Warnings that they are no longer welcome,
have as a last resort been added to the Wall of Shame.

( We in this context means the Purestorm Moderator Team )

Quote from mph
There are and have been enough complaints (on other sites too) about long established and previously respected photographers to take it seriously.

It is possibly worth mentioning that not all problem users are photographers - or always male.

* Note that Approval can be withdrawn from profiles which are under Administrator Investigation and also
members who fail or refuse to give Purestorm requested assurances about their use of the site are not Re-Approved

~~~~~~~~

Amber West is off-line
27 July 2014 05:03
Amber6
Model
Amber6
Dumfries and Galloway

The forums ARE very quiet. However, even though I have started doing less and less work with photographers from portfolio sites, when I do - a good chunk still comes from PS.

I personally think it's a good idea (certainly as a model looking for work, can't speak for photographers), it's nice to have a presence on all the sites.

Nige Nw is off-lineSilver Member
27 July 2014 05:08
nige_nw
Photographer
nige_nw
Lancashire

IMO If this site does not take a stand back and think why it is loosing ground it will continue to do so until eventually it dies.

Just restating policies does not in my mind make me think the penny has dropped!

I fully accept that we don't want to reopen the floodgates to those we don't want here but proving difficult to those who wish to join and help keep the site alive is not doing any favours. Unfortunately I don't think this is the only reason for the site loosing ground.

FlashBangWallop is off-line
27 July 2014 07:17
FlashBangWallop
Photographer
FlashBangWallop
Lancashire
Blackpool

Quote from nige_nw
IMO If this site does not take a stand back and think why it is loosing ground it will continue to do so until eventually it dies. Just restating policies does not in my mind make me think the penny has dropped! I fully accept that we don't want to reopen the floodgates to those we don't want here but proving difficult to those who wish to join and help keep the site alive is not doing any favours. Unfortunately I don't think this is the only reason for the site loosing ground.

+1
I like Purestorm but its usefulness for me is fading fast.  
In particular I find the Wall of Shame a bit grubby...I look at it now and again like you would a car wreck...but there's no need for it.  Some of them on there may have mental health issues.
Im still happy to pay as a Silver, I guess, because I realise the amount of moderation that must be done in the background and I like to pay my way but hope that you can inject some new life into this site.  

Iain Thomson is off-linePlatinum Member
27 July 2014 08:23
IainT
Photographer
IainT
Bedfordshire

Quote from ForumModerator
Our 'Approvals Fairies', as MadMod calls them, review applications* several times each day.
They also advise those who have not, or have badly, completed their application how to rectify.
Advice for new applicants is given here - those who won't, don't or can't comply are not Approved.
G02 ~§~ Joining As A Model ~§~
G03 ~§~ Joining As A Photographer ~§~
GSC4X
Models and photographers on other sites (doing quite well) are refused access (some even on the wall of shame).

Only those who have caused serious problems are, after ignoring due warning,  added to the Wall of Shame.
We appreciate that some other sites accept members and behaviour that Purestorm find unacceptable.
We also realise that some we exclude from this site can be economical with the truth regarding their exclusion.
We do not plan to invite back any Suspendees who, after clear Warnings that they are no longer welcome,
have as a last resort been added to the Wall of Shame.
( We in this context means the Purestorm Moderator Team )

There are and have been enough complaints (on other sites too) about long established and previously respected photographers to take it seriously.
It is possibly worth mentioning that not all problem users are photographers - or always male.

* Note that Approval can be withdrawn from profiles which are under Administrator Investigation and also
members who fail or refuse to give Purestorm requested assurances about their use of the site are not Re-Approved

Thats all fair enough and I don't disagree, but I can't understand why Purestorm is not pro-active in recruiting members. Its almost as if the management want the site to fade away.

I can understand running a site like this can be sole destroying and maybe Matt has just had enough? and I wouldn't blame him.

But perhaps the time has come to make a policy statement on whether the intention is to rescue PS or let it fade away? Quite a few people have been very loyal to this site over the years, I for one have been a paying member since 2008 and I do not want to see PS die. But the evidence suggests it is dying and losing ground rapidly to competitors.

It would be nice to know how the management see the future.
I tend to be a modest man, but then I do have a lot to be modest about.

Les Higgins is off-lineSilver Member
27 July 2014 09:08
lester2705
Photographer
lester2705
Tyne and Wear

Quote from IainT
Thats all fair enough and I don't disagree, but I can't understand why Purestorm is not pro-active in recruiting members. Its almost as if the management want the site to fade away.

I can understand running a site like this can be sole destroying and maybe Matt has just had enough? and I wouldn't blame him.

But perhaps the time has come to make a policy statement on whether the intention is to rescue PS or let it fade away? Quite a few people have been very loyal to this site over the years, I for one have been a paying member since 2008 and I do not want to see PS die. But the evidence suggests it is dying and losing ground rapidly to competitors.

It would be nice to know how the management see the future.

I fully and wholeheartedly agree Iain, and I too have been a paying member for a long time now, however my last shoot arranged through the site was over a year ago now. But lets not all be quick to jump on Matt and the mods, Glamour is becoming a hard thing to do now because there are so many gwc's who are plying their trade on social media and other sites too and wannabe models are becoming more lenient in what was once good enough has now become what is acceptably good enough for them individually to go sticking on their social media profiles and say "oh look at me i'm a model". Thhis is just sadly now an image of the ever changing times we live in, however, I don't want to be shelling out fees every month if its not going to work for me.

raw and the cooked is off-line
27 July 2014 09:09
Rawandthecooked
Photographer

London

Clearly, without a major overhaul, ps is no competition for the current market leader, but I would not be too complacent if I was management at the other place. It is my belief that a proper competitor could gain a lot of members very quickly! The keys to a successful site are, features that keep the membership interacting and on line, and forum moderation that is not biased, slanted, inconsistent and favourable to a secret elite. Shouldn't be hard really!

Iain Thomson is off-linePlatinum Member
27 July 2014 09:46
IainT
Photographer
IainT
Bedfordshire

Quote from Rawandthecooked
Clearly, without a major overhaul, ps is no competition for the current market leader, but I would not be too complacent if I was management at the other place. It is my belief that a proper competitor could gain a lot of members very quickly! The keys to a successful site are, features that keep the membership interacting and on line, and forum moderation that is not biased, slanted, inconsistent and favourable to a secret elite. Shouldn't be hard really!

You are obviously entitled to your opinion on the running of other sites, but the main problem for PS is that their main competitor is a UK based site which is operated in a very slick and pro-active manner. Whether or not current or former members feel the management is dubious is irrelevant, because the majority (including me) by far are relativelly happy with the way the site is run and are happy to pay subs at a level which makes it a viable commercial proposition.

This makes it possibly the only UK model site at present which has that distinction. It would be nice to see PS challenge their position simply because a monopoly is not good for anyone and that includes the operators of the other site.

I tend to be a modest man, but then I do have a lot to be modest about.

3 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
celebrateeverymoment pinklilly
Musicman