Photoshop cc or Photoshop Elements ?

CSD Images is off-line
26 July 2014 03:54
CSD_Images
Photographer
CSD_Images
Grampian
Aberdeen

Another issue that's unspoken if you break your payments to Adobe your PSDs will be essentially unreadable especially if you wnat to access the nice new features such as Smart Objects and some other layer effects. Effectively you will lose your non-destructive editing workflow.

When it comes down to Elements versus Photoshop, it's a case of 8bit only editing, limited colour spaces to work within and a clunky 'wizard type' interface. Photoshop is very much a hands off editor. You can also still buy PS CS6 which might be a better option to CC as it's a perpetual licence downside is that the ACR engine will never be updated again so you'll have to plunk for Lr or some other RAW converter.

If you do any serious amount of editing, such as high end skin retouching, colour grading, masking and so on you will need Photoshop as there is no RAW converter that can do this nor any other image editor that makes it so easy. Lr is great if you can find a model with flawless skin and you have a great make up artist, or sending your work to a retoucher. For most amateurs they'll get by with Lr or it's kin. One plus side we might start seeing less plastic skin or so we can hope...

www.flickr.com/photos/csd_images | www.celticshadows.co.uk

4EverYoung is off-line
26 July 2014 06:40
Midnite
Photographer
Midnite
Cambridgeshire
Peterborough

Quote from stolenfaces
You didn't actually read that on an Adobe site, or from anyone authoritative did you ..... Adobe say that the photographers package PS & LR is not a short-term special offer. Repeating unsubstantiated rumours doesn't really help anyone does it ?

Well in response to Stolenfaces i appologise for not checking with you first about what i read, where i read it and how i checked the information i had!! clearly the authoritative person you refer too is clearly yourself and all should bow to your superior greatness.

When i considered the move to cc it did state in small print, several pages into the agreement that the price was for 12 month and subscription would the revert to the standard price for a single user single application of £17.50 per month for a 12 month period. While they may have changed this policy now due to mounting pressure the fact is that Bev at Adobe Customer Services did confirm the above at the time and as such i didn't proceed.

There is also a cancellation fee which is applicable to any cc product not cancelled with in the first month of taking the package out and is chargable at 50% for the remaining months of the 12 month contact period.

with regards to Ps and Lr not being a short term deal......

Well actually it doesn't say that anywhere on the Adobe website!

I have never failed But i have discovered thousands of approches which don't work.

Neil Anderson is off-line
26 July 2014 06:59
stolenfaces
Photographer
stolenfaces
London
West London

Quote from Midnite
Well in response to Stolenfaces i appologise for not checking with you first about what i read, where i read it and how i checked the information i had!! clearly the authoritative person you refer too is clearly yourself and all should bow to your superior greatness.

When i considered the move to cc it did state in small print, several pages into the agreement that the price was for 12 month and subscription would the revert to the standard price for a single user single application of £17.50 per month for a 12 month period. While they may have changed this policy now due to mounting pressure the fact is that Bev at Adobe Customer Services did confirm the above at the time and as such i didn't proceed.

There is also a cancellation fee which is applicable to any cc product not cancelled with in the first month of taking the package out and is chargable at 50% for the remaining months of the 12 month contact period.

with regards to Ps and Lr not being a short term deal......

Well actually it doesn't say that anywhere on the Adobe website!

Sorry to be so old-fashioned as to only believe things which come from named sources rather than 'I read it somewhere'. You might believe everything you read on the internet, I don't.

When I signed up I researched substantially and found that my terms and conditions didn't say anything about reverting to any other amount, indeed Adobe stated explicitly that it was not a short-term introductory offer but a long-term plan (maybe it was/is different if you weren't a previous purchaser of CS6 or similar) - which would renew at the current level (with some reference to inflation increases). Obviously it would be wise for anyone committing themselves to any offering to research the current situation and the specific offer they are considering... and not believe anyone who thinks 'they read it somewhere'.

Like any dealer he was watching for the card that is so high and wild he'll never need to deal another...

Oliver Cook is off-line
26 July 2014 08:20
artistoli
Photographer
artistoli
Malta

Quote from magpie1
If you want to do a lot of quite high end editing and 'Photoshop Art' lots of elaborate montages, composites etc, then Photoshop, but if you don't want to do a lot to images, adjustments, tidy up and such then probably Elements. I know several successful wedding and commercial photographers who just use Lightroom and Elements.

Spot on. Elements is more than fine for most things that photographers do. If you are more into creating digital artwork from your photography, or intensive editing then Photoshop is worth the money. But I'd say most people who purchase it never get their money's worth - but then the same could be said of cameras and most equipment. If you do go for full Photoshop then put in the time to learn it, but like others have said, that can be quite a project in itself!

Nige Nw is off-lineSilver Member
26 July 2014 11:52
nige_nw
Photographer
nige_nw
Lancashire

Quote from stolenfaces
Sorry to be so old-fashioned as to only believe things which come from named sources rather than 'I read it somewhere'. You might believe everything you read on the internet, I don't.

When I signed up I researched substantially and found that my terms and conditions didn't say anything about reverting to any other amount, indeed Adobe stated explicitly that it was not a short-term introductory offer but a long-term plan (maybe it was/is different if you weren't a previous purchaser of CS6 or similar) - which would renew at the current level (with some reference to inflation increases). Obviously it would be wise for anyone committing themselves to any offering to research the current situation and the specific offer they are considering... and not believe anyone who thinks 'they read it somewhere'.

Just to let you know the original offering from Adobe was only for PS CC as a single app & Lightroom was not part of the deal at that time & it did say it would approx double in price after the first 12 months. .

After pressure they changed it - I think it was around June or July last year to be the bundle it is now & they said the lower (but now 'not introductory'  ) price was, however,  a limited time only deal - which seems to keep getting extended (or maybe they have given up at trying to double it) for new takers ! Those of us who had signed up for the single photoshop app were automatically switched to the PS & lightroom (&behance) bundle.which  did  renew at the lower price

Neil Anderson is off-line
01 August 2014 08:51
stolenfaces
Photographer
stolenfaces
London
West London

Quote from CSD_Images
When it comes down to Elements versus Photoshop, it's a case of 8bit only editing, limited colour spaces to work within and a clunky 'wizard type' interface. Photoshop is very much a hands off editor. You can also still buy PS CS6 which might be a better option to CC as it's a perpetual licence downside is that the ACR engine will never be updated again so you'll have to plunk for Lr or some other RAW converter.

CS6 Camera Raw was updated this morning to include new cameras such as D810
Like any dealer he was watching for the card that is so high and wild he'll never need to deal another...

01 September 2014 13:55
YellowBox
Photographer
This member has been suspended

I will have a 30 day trial and 'see what's what'.
If you are interested in shooting, send me a message. I will assume that you are willing to pay for my services. Ask me for my rates.. I will always consider your offer!

www.jonathantennantphotography.co.uk is off-lineSilver Member
27 September 2014 03:28
jonathantennant
Photographer

Surrey
chertsey

I use to use Photoshop but find LR and Elements is all i need. In my experience with talking to other photographers Photoshop is a huge creative software and most photographers only use a small percentage of the software. That was echoed by an Adobe rep. Unless you have lots of time and enjoy sitting in front of you computer learning new programmes I'd stick with the basics.

I'm unsure if anyone has asked the question but what do you want to use Photoshop for ?

David Paul is off-lineSilver Member
17 October 2014 14:55
DavidPaul
Photographer
DavidPaul
Leicestershire
Leicester

As I understand it, you can't buy the full blown Photoshop any more- you can only rent it on a monthly basis. Ome difference that I know of is a 'warp' tool in fullblown PS. This enables you to drag parts of an object about to deform it . e.g if you have a defect at the corner of an image, you can literally warp that corner so that the defect is dragged off the image.

24 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
georgiaiaxo Lilly_69 lynnesel Tabz
Andyk D_H_P duncanjames gkeesuk Jamespaulphotos johntisbury jonnar42 joolsy jskazza Ladiesman lify metro Moodie PepperPackshots poah skeggartphoto stevegosh thelook wacTony westend_portfolios