23 July 2014 15:56
Paul_Jones
Photographer
Paul_Jones
Lancashire
Wigan

Quote from stolenfaces
He can get Firefox in the Play store, it's the play store he objects to

I got that, thanks.  I was just offering Dolphin as an alternative to Firefox.

www.PaulJones.org

Tim is a moderatorPlatinum Member
23 July 2014 20:00
Tim
Model
Tim
East Sussex
Brighton

Thanks everyone for letting us know about this pesky issue, we are investigating it at the moment trying to establish what has caused this over the last few days. Thanks for your patience while we work on it.

Cheers,
Tim.

many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view

G Jack B is off-line
24 July 2014 06:52
Plymjack
Photographer
Plymjack
Devon
Plymouth

Quote from Bob
Off-topic on-topic question from a computer illiterate. Does anybody know how I can get Firefox as a browser on a tablet without first signing up for a Google account on it (thereby giving Google pretty much unfettered access to all my private information)?
Bob

Well you can always get an Ipad ... oh and the Apple have complete access to all your private information.  It alwasy amuses me that Google take the rap for collecting info but everyone "forgets" that Apple as just as bad....  Apple were tracking uses for nearly a year before admiting to it and allowing users to disable such functionality. 

However whichever one you use you will need to balance the loss of "privacy" with the gain in flexibilty of working.  Using Android products with google (or Apple products) you get to see all you info  on all devices without doing anything.  So if you have nothing to hide it s really useful.

Real Bread Cook by day, BTL landlord & IT Guru - who said men can't multitask!

Bob is off-linePlatinum Member
24 July 2014 07:45
Bob
Photographer
Bob
Devon
Honiton

Quote from stolenfaces
Don't you think that Google already have access to nearly everything, along with GCHQ, NSC and your ISP. 

I'm well aware of the type of information that official bodies hold on me, as the nature of my work has meant that over the last quarter of century I have been subject to vetting by UK, US, NATO and even UN, security agencies. However they, unlike Google, do not harvest all one's personal data for commercial purposes or pay scant regard to personal privacy. As for the ISPs that I use, many of them don't have a clue precisely who I am so any info they glean and collate is likely to be of little use.

Quote from stolenfaces
Any reluctance to gleefuly reveal everything is obviously a sign that you have something to hide... and will make you liable to further surveillance.

Some of the work I do means there are some personal details that I do have to hide, on both personal safety and security grounds, which is why I don't use FaceBook or LinkedIn etc., why I prefer to use a computer rather than a smartphone (I don't even own one) to access the internet, why I use Private Browsing when accessing many websites, and why I never publicly discuss where I am going on assignment beforehand. Only 18 months ago a very close friend of 25 years was assassinated by a regime which objected to his photography work, partly because he was not as internet privacy conscious as he should have been, and I don't plan on joining him for some time yet.

I reckon it is crazy to voluntarily give away all one's personal info to an unregulated multinational corporation, so if the only way of using a tablet as anything other than an image storage & display device is to sign my life away to Google I think I'll keep it just for offline use.

Bob

Tim is a moderatorPlatinum Member
25 July 2014 00:17
Tim
Model
Tim
East Sussex
Brighton

Well it doesn't look like this is going to be a simple fix so we are digging deeper into this one, thanks for your continued patience.

Cheers,
Tim.
many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view

Terry Turner is off-lineSilver Member
27 July 2014 05:43
TerryTurner
Photographer
TerryTurner
Oxfordshire

I do not know if anyone else has this happen with their iPad, when I go to Purestorm not logged on the display does not fit the screen, as soon as I log in the picture fills the screen like it always did. I do not always log in when I have a quick look, this is perhaps why I never noticed this before. Hope this helps. A quick edit, I am using AOL.
Treat other people as you would like to be treated

29 July 2014 14:47
ScottishGeek
Photographer

Still 'broke'
"Your first 10,000 photographs are your worst." – Henri Cartier-Bresson

RGBphoto is off-lineSilver Member
29 July 2014 15:09
magpie1
Photographer

Tyne and Wear
Newcastle

I have had the 'squished to LH side' a few times, like now! But it has righted itself, so hopefully this anomaly may be temporary.
Purpleport has iPad issues as well, though different, think items require 2 taps to open?

Terry Turner is off-lineSilver Member
29 July 2014 19:34
TerryTurner
Photographer
TerryTurner
Oxfordshire

Now working fine on my iPad, thank you.
Treat other people as you would like to be treated

DaveinSurrey is off-line
30 July 2014 09:55
DaveinSurrey
Photographer
DaveinSurrey
Surrey
Worcester Park

The second day now of everything working fine on my IPad.

So my thanks to whoever fixed it.

Dave.

6 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
pinklilly
chandos FirstLifePhotography Nunude redtail steveh32