Reminder Secure

Whats the maximum memory card size for Canon 5D (mk1)?

Steven Jardine is off-linePlatinum Member
20 July 2014 16:48
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

Quote from eosfan
Appreciate its personal choice but why use such large capacity cards in a 5D MK1? Even in my 5DMK3 I only use 8GB or 16GB cards - they are now so cheap it just isn't worth the risk of a corrupt card or even losing a single card with an entire days shooting on it - spread it over 3 or 4 cards.

One school of thought is concerned about wear/tear on the contact pins, so larger cards mean less card swaps.  Certainly I've heard of people who've suffered bent pins inside the camera.
When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. All of your pain is felt by others. The same thing happens when you are stupid.

Bill_M is off-line
20 July 2014 19:11
Bill_M
Photographer

Lanarkshire

Quote from eosfan
Appreciate its personal choice but why use such large capacity cards in a 5D MK1? Even in my 5DMK3 I only use 8GB or 16GB cards - they are now so cheap it just isn't worth the risk of a corrupt card or even losing a single card with an entire days shooting on it - spread it over 3 or 4 cards.

Many small cards have probably greater risk of corruption (as well as the risk of losing your card) than a large one.
Also their is more wear and tear on the contact pins.

13 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
andyl111 david1500 ellessephotography Hioctane keltica kimphot Ladiesman michael_cameraman modelboutique Peter_d_photography rossiter Thephotochap vapourtrail