Reminder Secure

Whats the maximum memory card size for Canon 5D (mk1)?

Herzlos Fotographie is off-line
19 July 2014 03:11
Desova
Photographer
Desova
Glasgow

Can anyone remember the maximum memory card size for the original 5D? I know 16Gb works but I don't think I tried 32Gb so don't want to risk buying any.

Where do people get memory cards cheapest from now? More interested in capacity/reliability than speed as I'm not a fast shooter.

Les Higgins is off-lineSilver Member
19 July 2014 03:36
lester2705
Photographer
lester2705
Tyne and Wear

I have used a 32gb in mine if thats any help

Pontius584 is off-line
19 July 2014 06:30
pontius584
Photographer
pontius584
Clwyd

I use 32gb cards in my 5D mk1 with no problem.
"The camera never lies" - but PhotoShop does!

Rupert Rudd is off-line
19 July 2014 08:18
RupertRudd
Photographer
RupertRudd
East Yorkshire
Hull

www.7dayshop.com seems consistently to be the lowest price. Cannot tell the differnce between brands or own label. May be more obvious with video. Class 10 seems to be Class 10 whoever makes or markets them.
A little help is worth a lot of sympathy.

Bill_M is off-line
19 July 2014 08:21
Bill_M
Photographer

Lanarkshire

Quote from Desova
Can anyone remember the maximum memory card size for the original 5D? I know 16Gb works but I don't think I tried 32Gb so don't want to risk buying any.

Where do people get memory cards cheapest from now? More interested in capacity/reliability than speed as I'm not a fast shooter.

I used 32GB as standard in my original 5d, with no problems at all. I believe it can even take a 256 or more. I buy very fast SD cards now and use them with cheap SD to CF flash adaptors from Amazon. They work reliably and cost about quarter of the price of the equivalent CF of the same capacity and speed.

Herzlos Fotographie is off-line
19 July 2014 13:35
Desova
Photographer
Desova
Glasgow

Thanks guys. 32GB It is then.

Bill - I hadn't considered that, I take it it's pretty reliable?

Bill_M is off-line
19 July 2014 14:37
Bill_M
Photographer

Lanarkshire

It seems to be. I have been using a 64GB SD and adaptor in my 5DII with no problems.

Steven Jardine is off-linePlatinum Member
19 July 2014 18:22
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

Quote from Bill_M
It seems to be. I have been using a 64GB SD and adaptor in my 5DII with no problems.

The OP is referring to the 5D mk1, it may be that the mk2 supports protocols that enable reliable operation with converters (eg. like UDMA) but there's no guarantee the mk1 will do the same.
When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. All of your pain is felt by others. The same thing happens when you are stupid.

Bill_M is off-line
20 July 2014 05:10
Bill_M
Photographer

Lanarkshire

I'll get my Mk1 out of the cupboard and test it. I think it should be backwards compatible to work with both.

Dave Beasley is off-line
20 July 2014 14:56
eosfan
Photographer
eosfan
Surrey
Guildford

Appreciate its personal choice but why use such large capacity cards in a 5D MK1? Even in my 5DMK3 I only use 8GB or 16GB cards - they are now so cheap it just isn't worth the risk of a corrupt card or even losing a single card with an entire days shooting on it - spread it over 3 or 4 cards.

28 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
chandni23 jensomerfield Mstopaz Natalie120525
63jian Blancho bobmac BOBREEVES brendan cliffc CunningLinguists dbphoto domnumberone Flanders guitarman gwentman James7799 jefflynne kimsandman2 Ladiesman Mattcairns mike0048 powerbook92 scotsman_uk sniffer swalsh58 TonyNutley ttstinger