Simon Young is off-lineSilver Member
29 July 2014 16:16
Allinthemind
Photographer
Allinthemind
Gloucestershire

This is an interesting read....

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/cogs.12138/abstract
In the "Information Age", continued ignorance must be a choice motivated initially through inherited beliefs.

Simon Young is off-lineSilver Member
29 July 2014 16:20
Allinthemind
Photographer
Allinthemind
Gloucestershire

Out of interest, what corroborated and documented evidence is there for the existence of Paul or any apostle that wasn't written decades after their deaths?
In the "Information Age", continued ignorance must be a choice motivated initially through inherited beliefs.

29 July 2014 17:08
Jackass
Photographer

There are occasional snippets in HISTORICAL documents about Jesus et al, but nothing to justify the story that was built of some 30-70 after his disappearance. Had the Christ story been fact it would have been well documented one would think. Jesus was just one of a plethora of self professed Messiahs of the time, and was quite possibly chosen at random to become The Christ. The crucifixion story was unheard of by the early Christians, their symbol being the fish or anchor, not the cross.

Emperor Constantine played the biggest part in establishing Christianity as the faith of The Roman Empire as he needed something to unify the Empire. He got all the different Christian sects together somewhere around 300 AD and established a set date for Easter, he also displaced the Pagan celebration of Saturnalia with Christmas - his very own invention!

That's what history records.

If Jesus Christ did exist I can only imagine what his view would be of a gold loving Catholic Church and an institution that demanded that a Pope be worshipped in his place!

Those who believe will believe - regardless of evidence or lack of - just as some are left handed and others are right. That's the only explanation I can find why educated and otherwise sensible people believe. When believers talk openly about their beliefs as it were fact then I feel I have the same right t talk openly about my beliefs in the same way
If it walks like a duck, and talks like a duck, it could be my ex wife.

Hugh is off-lineGold Member
30 July 2014 02:48
Hugh
Photographer
Hugh
Dyfed
Aberystwyth

History is written by the winners.

If the Nazis had won, there would not be much written about the Holocaust.

The history taught in Irish schools is slightly different from that taught in UK schools.

Not much taught about British troops shooting unarmed civilians during the Croke Park Massacre in the UK:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1374567/Queen-visit-Croke-Park-massacre-scene-tour-Ireland.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bloody_Sunday_(1920)

In the same way, there's a lot conveniently forgotten about in Irish history books.

Most Americans think they won the Vietnam war

For all we know, God did things like a frog.
Dump several thousand fertilized eggs on earth, and leave it to chance which of the messiahs would survive.
As long as the general message gets through, the details don't matter too much.
After all, he/she probably has millions of planets with sentient races in need of a religion.
It's not Fine Art just because it's in Black and White.

Laurence Power is off-line
31 July 2014 15:19
LaurenceJPower
Photographer
LaurenceJPower
Surrey
Esher

Now to throw my towel in the ring, I think that marriage should only occur in a church as a religious ceremony and that any other ceremony whether it be heterosexual or homosexual is a civil partnership, thus one is not discriminating against homosexuals or transgender people.
Laurence J. Power

Salacious Art is off-line
01 August 2014 14:01
pentax5AC
Photographer

East Yorkshire
Bridlington

That’s a valid point, which takes us back to the heart of this forum.
Should Christians be preaching one thing but practicing the opposite? The answer has to be no.
And it is our friend the apostle Paul who again takes the lead in condemning homosexuality. Paul’s writings make up the bulk of the New Testament, and the issue isn’t whether or not his words sit comfortably with a liberal, modern and secular society, because most of that ilk (as this thread has shown) are not remotely interested in what he had to say.

But for those (by this I mean Christians) who claim they ARE guided by his teachings, and profess a belief in the bible as sacred, there should be no appointment of women bishops.
Well, that ties that one up! What could we have for our next topical, controversial forum?

I might post... IS GEORGE GALLOWAY A COMPLETE PRAT...and SHOULD HE BE ATTACHED TO A PALESTINIAN ROCKET and FIRED IN TO ISRAEL?
Yep, that one ought to get them going a bit!

01 August 2014 14:34
Jackass
Photographer

Israel may have done things they'd rather do differently in retrospect, but they don't deserve George Galloway being dropped on them :/
If it walks like a duck, and talks like a duck, it could be my ex wife.

20 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
AnnThompson chosin viktoria_darling
AaronKent bengie brendan casell daygo10 dorrian iestyn markeewould martinchristie modelboutique nateDMP photostevo siwalters skymouse Spiritofwales stevegosh steveh32