redbaron is off-lineSilver Member
19 July 2014 14:50
redbaron
Photographer
redbaron
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

Quote from Jackass
Most religions have always changed with the times, it's nothing new. Catholics don't burn Protestants for transubstantiation anymore and Protestants have stopped burning witches - all in the name of a loving God for God's sake! Islam being the exception in that it's stuck firmly in the Middle Ages. If they didn't change for the times they'd lose support - pretty much as they are doing. I look forward to the day when their inconsequential arguments are no longer deemed newsworthy and the majority of the population can get some peace and quiet. Richard Dawkins for Pope, get some common sense in there.

Only that cannot be if you believe your version of christianity is 'The' religion.

The whole point with any religion is that it at least purports to represent the ultimate truth, the purpose of creation, the rules by which the creator himself asserts we must live our lives if we are to have any hope of salvation. To accept that as the case precludes the option of change. It is not in the remit of mortal man to decide, 'you know what that rule is jolly inconvenient, lets revise it to something that suits us better.' If the rules don't happen to suit the lifestyle you live then it follows it is your lifestyle that is wrong not the laws of your god. It may suck. It may mean a lifetime of misery and pennance to ensure you are fit to enter those pearly gates but that is what you have to accept and seek to achieve. Simply ripping out huge chunks of the testaments and throwing them away because they do not suit you is not an option you are entitled to have.

Unfortunately you also shoot down your own arguement by mentioning Islam. As you say much of it is stuck in the middle ages. Only it is not losing support as you suggest through not changing.  Disproving your own assertion.

Photography and Studio hire www.immortaleye.co.uk

20 July 2014 03:33
Jackass
Photographer

Actually my assertion is that ALL religion is rubbish.

Historically, religions have adapted to the times, that's indisputable because the religions of a few hundred years ago bear little resemblance to those of today. Like everything else in the universe they evolve. Evolution itself is a proven fact beyond all doubt to those who view the evidence objectively, believers of all persuasions don't.

As for Islam, it's going through the same phase as Christianity did 400/500 years ago before it collapsed, spreading by force not choice. It cannot last, as Christianity couldn't, and it will go the same way but a lot quicker as science and FACT is more than ever filling the gap that religion once filled.

And it can't come quick enough as ALL religions are fundamentally evil.
If it walks like a duck, and talks like a duck, it could be my ex wife.

Chris is off-line
20 July 2014 07:55
CCP
Photographer
CCP
Essex
Near East London

Quote from Jackass
Actually my assertion is that ALL religion is rubbish. Historically, religions have adapted to the times, that's indisputable because the religions of a few hundred years ago bear little resemblance to those of today. Like everything else in the universe they evolve. Evolution itself is a proven fact beyond all doubt to those who view the evidence objectively, believers of all persuasions don't. As for Islam, it's going through the same phase as Christianity did 400/500 years ago before it collapsed, spreading by force not choice. It cannot last, as Christianity couldn't, and it will go the same way but a lot quicker as science and FACT is more than ever filling the gap that religion once filled. And it can't come quick enough as ALL religions are fundamentally evil.

Totally agree. I saw the programme on the tv last week about faith schools. Shocking. Kids are being told that evolution is a lie, and all sorts of nonsense like they now have scientific proof that God exists. It is outrageous, really disturbing. To teach kids such nonsense is like a form of child abuse to me. I have quite a few arguments when I visit relatives, as one of them is a creationist. He actually thinks that scientists are liars. What the hell would any scientist want to lie for? Science is about finding out the truth obviously. He'd rather believe in a fairy story about an imaginary friend, than face historical facts.

Tony Stephenson is off-line
20 July 2014 09:41
tonycsm
Photographer
tonycsm
East Yorkshire
Driffield

If I turned around and said I believe in fairies, then people would evaluate me as insane even if they believed in a god or not and yet if I said I believed in a god, I would be generally accepted by both sides.
The truth is I have just as much chance of proving fairies exist as I have of a god existing, yet one is acceptable but the other isn't in our society!
www.le-femme.co.uk

Salacious Art is off-line
20 July 2014 16:39
pentax5AC
Photographer

East Yorkshire
Bridlington

So there we have it then...all religion is rubbish, evil and equates to a belief in fairies.

That will be the reason no doubt then, why 2 billion Christians, that's a third of the global population, profess a belief in God, and the rest continue to worship him via alternative faiths.

I think your argument is over simplistic and condescendingly dismissive of what faith is all about.
But at least we now know, thanks to science, how "insane" all those people are, and how imperative it is that they contact you soon for enlightenment! What was your name again...ah "Jackass"

20 July 2014 17:45
Jackass
Photographer

The immediate response to reasoned argument is ridicule, typical of "believers". Professing a belief and believing isn't the same thing. If anyone's a jackass it those who believe that a living loving god would tolerate the antics that ALL religions have got up to over the years. Murder, torture and child molestation to name but three.

Without blind faith it's impossible to believe in any God without one single shred of hard evidence to substantiate it. But show these people hard evidence that the bible is utterly wrong on creation and it's "La la la, I can't hear you," time. Hardly anything from the bible appears in independent historical writings, "la la la I can't hear you," time. Rock solid proof that ALL creatures on the earth share a common ancestry, "La la la, I can't hear you," time. I could go on but I have better things to do.

I call myself Jackass for personal reasons, what's your excuse?
If it walks like a duck, and talks like a duck, it could be my ex wife.

Simon Young is off-lineSilver Member
21 July 2014 03:41
Allinthemind
Photographer
Allinthemind
Gloucestershire

Quote from pentax5AC
So there we have it then...all religion is rubbish, evil and equates to a belief in fairies. That will be the reason no doubt then, why 2 billion Christians, that's a third of the global population, profess a belief in God, and the rest continue to worship him via alternative faiths. I think your argument is over simplistic and condescendingly dismissive of what faith is all about. But at least we now know, thanks to science, how "insane" all those people are, and how imperative it is that they contact you soon for enlightenment! What was your name again...ah "Jackass"

Having a belief in a higher being/power and following the doctrines of a religion are very different things. Religions are born from the inbuilt need to cope with the lack of ability to explain what we don't understand (else we'd go mad); which is a solid biological-evoloutinary reason. As we progress our knowledge, as a socirty, we can chip away at or hold on to the things we once believed (created).  That is partly wht there are so many different versions of christianity. Some of them are young Earth creationists, believing that the Earth was created by a higher power less than 10,000 years ago. There is a mountain of evidence that says this isn't the case. Even the senior members of the Catholic and Anglican churches agree about young Earth creationists being deluded.
What I find disturbing, isn't the natural reasons for wanting to believe in higher powers (even though there is no need to or no evidence of any), it's the following of doctrine to the point of murdering our fellow man, harming our children etc etc. Perhaps even worse is that many religious people seem to be anti-science because science dares ro show that they may be wrong in their beliefs which can lead to this ridiculous state of affaits where some religious fools want to teach creationism in the classroom as a valid alternative to evoloution! Perhaps we should also teach the flat-Earth theory, the Earth-centric solar system theory and the Stork Theoty ocf childbirth, they are all as equally ridiculous.

Si
In the "Information Age", continued ignorance must be a choice motivated initially through inherited beliefs.

Tony Stephenson is off-line
21 July 2014 12:31
tonycsm
Photographer
tonycsm
East Yorkshire
Driffield

The really good thing about religion is that it gives people hope in a world torn apart by....... religion!sad
www.le-femme.co.uk

Bill_M is off-line
24 July 2014 10:21
Bill_M
Photographer

Lanarkshire

Quote from EdT
OK, looks like the bit about Mary being born to a virgin is not all Christian faiths, more of a catholic thing.

No, Catholics do not believe that and never have.

EdT is off-line
25 July 2014 15:05
EdT
Photographer
EdT
Cambridgeshire

Quote from Bill_M

No, Catholics do not believe that and never have.

Sorry, I have a problem getting my head around the difference between "Immaculate conception" and "Virginal conception". So, if I understand correctly, Mary was born as a result of Immaculate Conception, but Jesus was born as a result of Virginal Conception.

So, now the question as to how it came to be immaculate.

14 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
Echo_soul_silver wakeywakey
Dphphotography FirstLifePhotography garydfreeman jackw johndt photofrank RenedeHaan sammylhel shadowtime74 shavardawkins skinz woody