Paul Jones is off-line
09 July 2014 09:22
Paul_Jones
Photographer
Paul_Jones
Lancashire
Wigan

Quote from PetiteKelly
Hi Ive been asked to do an underwear shoot for someone and he has said he will pay me, what are my rates? Could anyone help me as id have no idea how much i should roughly charge, or how.to work it out. Does it depend on how long the shoot for or how many outfits etc. Thanks

Another possible option to consider.... 

Ask him what his budget for the shoot is and how much he is offering to pay you.  Then you can either negotiate or decide if it's worth doing or not.

Best regards
Paul
www.PaulJones.org (Glamour / Portraits / NSFW)

Don Butt is off-line
09 July 2014 10:05
djb1
Photographer

Kent
dartford

Quote from Socialdisaster

Considering every model I've ever worked with has done full nude up to adult for 40 or less, your suggestion borders on the insane.

OP. Given you are so new, have no real port or experience I'd suggest being wary of any photographer who'll pay you above market average for anything.

I did give £40 as a rate to negotiate on then it would,of course, be up to the photographer to agree terms or not.

Don.(djb1)

Steven Jardine is off-linePlatinum Member
09 July 2014 10:08
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

Quote from djb1
I did give £40 as a rate to negotiate on then it would,of course, be up to the photographer to agree terms or not. Don.(djb1)

I'd wager than 99% of photographers will just pass her by at those rates.  Nobody in their right mind handing over money for a shoot wants the potential agro associated with 'dreamers' (I personally can't be arsed with haggling as I find it awkward, I'd rather just see a price and decide there/then if I'm willing to pay).
When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. All of your pain is felt by others. The same thing happens when you are stupid.

marlham is off-line
09 July 2014 10:42
marlhamphoto
Photographer
This member has been reset to pending
marlhamphoto
Kent
Canterbury

Quote from RedChecker
I'd wager than 99% of photographers will just pass her by at those rates.  Nobody in their right mind handing over money for a shoot wants the potential agro associated with 'dreamers' (I personally can't be arsed with haggling as I find it awkward, I'd rather just see a price and decide there/then if I'm willing to pay).

I agree. As soon as a model asks for a rate which significantly exceeds the market she gets labelled as expensive/deluded and is thereafter automatically overlooked when it comes to finding a model. Again it's a reputation which is hard to shake off once acquired.

Paul Hodson is off-line
09 July 2014 10:50
mph
Photographer
mph
Cheshire
Crewe

Quote from marlhamphoto
I agree. As soon as a model asks for a rate which significantly exceeds the market she gets labelled as expensive/deluded and is thereafter automatically overlooked when it comes to finding a model. Again it's a reputation which is hard to shake off once acquired.

Which is doubly unfortunate if the poor girl does so because of bad advice here!  laugh
Amateur - happy to do TF with models with potential and enthusiasm. Website: www.mphodson.co.uk

marlham is off-line
09 July 2014 10:59
marlhamphoto
Photographer
This member has been reset to pending
marlhamphoto
Kent
Canterbury

Quote from mph
Which is doubly unfortunate if the poor girl does so because of bad advice here!  laugh

Indeed.

I would add though that there are plenty of photographers around who are happy to pay a model [much] more than I am. And there are plenty of experienced models around who can recognise who those photographers are simply by looking at what's in their portfolio. So experienced models will quote varying rates according to what they see or know about the photographer.

Paul's proposal is probaby the best all-round solution for a new model - see what rate the photographer proposes and then consider whether it's worth your while.

Neil Anderson is off-line
09 July 2014 11:06
stolenfaces
Photographer
stolenfaces
London
West London

Quote from marlhamphoto
Indeed.

I would add though that there are plenty of photographers around who are happy to pay a model [much] more than I am. And there are plenty of experienced models around who can recognise who those photographers are simply by looking at what's in their portfolio. So experienced models will quote varying rates according to what they see or know about the photographer.

Paul's proposal is probaby the best all-round solution for a new model - see what rate the photographer proposes and then consider whether it's worth your while.

Or say 'I would really need £x to be worth my while to travel to you (or where ever), but I am flexible how long we shoot for.'
Like any dealer he was watching for the card that is so high and wild he'll never need to deal another...

Paul Jones is off-line
09 July 2014 13:31
Paul_Jones
Photographer
Paul_Jones
Lancashire
Wigan

Quote from marlhamphoto
As soon as a model asks for a rate which significantly exceeds the market she gets labelled as expensive/deluded and is thereafter automatically overlooked when it comes to finding a model. Again it's a reputation which is hard to shake off once acquired.

I definitely agree with this, and I often think it's just that they have been badly advised.

I'm sure we've all had similar emails in the past from new models offering topless shoots for the bargain price of £100 per hour.

Quote from marlhamphoto

Thank-you.

Best regards
Paul

www.PaulJones.org (Glamour / Portraits / NSFW)

2 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
Daniel77
paulsstudio