new to modelling

Petite Kel is off-line
09 July 2014 04:32
PetiteKelly
Model

Kent
chatham

Hi

Ive been asked to do an underwear shoot for someone and he has said he will pay me, what are my rates?
Could anyone help me as id have no idea how much i should roughly charge, or how.to work it out.
Does it depend on how long the shoot for or how many outfits etc.

Thanks

Don Butt is off-line
09 July 2014 05:22
djb1
Photographer

Kent
dartford

Quote from PetiteKelly
Hi

Ive been asked to do an underwear shoot for someone and he has said he will pay me, what are my rates?
Could anyone help me as id have no idea how much i should roughly charge, or how.to work it out.

Thanks

Go for an hourly rate plus travel costs if travel is involved. I would suggest £40 as an hourly rate and negotiate on that basis. Don(djb1)

Steven Jardine is off-linePlatinum Member
09 July 2014 05:32
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

Quote from djb1
Go for an hourly rate plus travel costs if travel is involved. I would suggest £40 as an hourly rate and negotiate on that basis. Don(djb1)

£40 an hour for a novice?  Really!?

That's high even for established models with experience, if only shooting lingerie.

£20-25 would be more in line with what other models charge (although there's still the uncertainty of the OP's confidence during shoots being new to this).

When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. All of your pain is felt by others. The same thing happens when you are stupid.

Paul Hodson is off-line
09 July 2014 05:34
mph
Photographer
mph
Cheshire
Crewe

Quote from RedChecker
£40 an hour for a novice?  Really!?

That's high even for established models with experience, if only shooting lingerie.

£20-25 would be more in line with what other models charge (although there's still the uncertainty of the OP's confidence during shoots being new to this).

+1  That sort of fantasy rate does no-one, least of all the model any favours!
Amateur - happy to do TF with models with potential and enthusiasm. Website: www.mphodson.co.uk

Petite Kel is off-line
09 July 2014 05:56
PetiteKelly
Model

Kent
chatham

Ok thanks everyone x

Neil Anderson is off-line
09 July 2014 06:51
stolenfaces
Photographer
stolenfaces
London
West London

You might want to consider whether the photographer is likely to produce reasonable pictures which would benefit your portfolio.... and if he is likely to, ask if he will give you some photos in exchange for the best/cheaper rates [sometimes referred to as 'part paid'].
If the shoot is amateur I would have thought you would be better to suggest something like £10- £15 per hour + some photos (and if appropriate, travel expenses). If the shots were for publication I would expect the photographer to have made you an offer based on his budget.

You should also consider how far you have to travel, how long he wants to book and how keen you are to work with the particular photographer.
Like any dealer he was watching for the card that is so high and wild he'll never need to deal another...

marlham is off-line
09 July 2014 07:01
marlhamphoto
Photographer
This member has been reset to pending
marlhamphoto
Kent
Canterbury

In my experience £25-£30 an hour plus travel expenses is a typical rate for nude less a small discount for half or full day bookings . I'd pay a similar amount for lingerie (or perhaps even a little more) BUT ONLY if the model had the figure for it (at least a C cup) AND she had elegant and stylish lingerie available to shoot in. Primark or Ann Summers etc wouldn't cut it for me. A lack of modelling experience wouldn't necessarily be a problem.

As you're new to modelling it's perhaps worth mentioning that references left on a photographer's profile (on this site or others) should not be taken at face value. ALWAYS contact two or three of the models a photographer has worked with directly in order to obtain private feedback about the photographer and how the shoot went. Whilst 90% of photographers are sincere and respectful some aren't - even though their public refernces might suggest that they are. If private references cannot be taken up then the best plan would be to only work with him if the shoot takes place in a commercial studio which he has booked.

Good luck

Pict is off-line
09 July 2014 07:30
Pict
Photographer
Pict
Kent
Rochester

Quote from PetiteKelly
Hi

Thanks

Ive already sent you a pm but please make sure its someone you can trust.

marlham is off-line
09 July 2014 07:46
marlhamphoto
Photographer
This member has been reset to pending
marlhamphoto
Kent
Canterbury

One other thing. Understandably new models can become a bag of nerves as the shoot date approaches and might resort to cancelling or even a no show. Obviously the photographer has committed his time and often money (eg studio fees) and so that can be frustrating. So only confirm a booking if you have every intention of turning up. If you have any concerns about your resolve be honest and discuss them with the photographer so that he is at least aware of them. Most will do their best to accommodate you if they can. Models who prove unreliable, or uncommunicative if they encounter a problem, quickly acquire a bad reputation which can be a bugger to shake off.

09 July 2014 08:00
Socialdisaster
Photographer

Quote from djb1

Considering every model I've ever worked with has done full nude up to adult for 40 or less, your suggestion borders on the insane.

OP. Given you are so new, have no real port or experience I'd suggest being wary of any photographer who'll pay you above market average for anything.
Modesty is just arrogance in stealth mode

20 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
alishaa ElleLaura fernandarevelo glamourdolly Kacie
AClarkePhoto aprilscherz3 Arterotica chicimages Elegant_element hjphoto KosupureUK mamamiya mlp modelboutique oro psn Thunder_Photos trouble72
Matt