Rupert Rudd is off-line
08 July 2014 12:54
RupertRudd
Photographer
RupertRudd
East Yorkshire
Hull

I have a Netgear router.
It is left permanently on. My Ipad finds it very quickly for a period of time but after two or three weeks it gets slower and slower to find.
If I turn the router off at the mains, then turn on again after a little rest it becomes sprightly again.
Do Routers become blocked up and constipated? Is it good practice to turn off occasionally?
A little help is worth a lot of sympathy.

Matt . is off-line
08 July 2014 13:06
MLP
Photographer

Nottinghamshire
Nr Nottingham

Turning on/off will re-boost the connection of the router with the server - I do this on a regular basis so see no problem in what you are doing

---------------------------------------------- Images are not taken they are created

G Jack B is off-line
08 July 2014 13:19
Plymjack
Photographer
Plymjack
Devon
Plymouth

in most locations I support we have a timer on the router to power cycle it overnight.... sorts out lots of little problems...especially on mondays! so no there not blocked but yes they do "slow down"....
Real Bread Cook by day, BTL landlord & IT Guru - who said men can't multitask!

CGW is off-line
08 July 2014 14:48
cgwebster
Photographer
cgwebster
Hampshire
Basingstoke

Quote from RupertRudd
I have a Netgear router.
It is left permanently on. My Ipad finds it very quickly for a period of time but after two or three weeks it gets slower and slower to find.
If I turn the router off at the mains, then turn on again after a little rest it becomes sprightly again.
Do Routers become blocked up and constipated? Is it good practice to turn off occasionally?

Not really normal, but normal for some vendors products - it indicates there is an issue with the firmware and/or the chipset. I ditched a netgear router a few months ago because of intermittent wireless issues and installed a an ASUS AC66 and that is rock solid.
(Although have now probably hexed the damn thing by writing this)

Steven Jardine is off-linePlatinum Member
08 July 2014 15:43
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

My iPad's often flakey but my other wireless machines & devices (I've got ~15-20) don't have a problem.

One thing could be the wireless channel is getting inteference from the neighbors. I seem to recall when you switch on a wireless device it cycles through the channel numbers on startup to find the least noisy/populated. It may simply be that other people in your area have also got the same channel selected, and by rebooting you're effectively picking a fresh one.

Either way, it's not too much hardship so why worry (I've always had to do it to mine on occasion, usually every week or two).
When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. All of your pain is felt by others. The same thing happens when you are stupid.

marlham is off-line
08 July 2014 17:41
marlhamphoto
Photographer
This member has been reset to pending
marlhamphoto
Kent
Canterbury

I had a similar problem with a Netgear router a couple of years ago which left me scratching my head for a bit. Installing the latest firmware fixed it.

w4pictures is off-line
08 July 2014 18:03
w4pictures
Photographer
w4pictures
London
Chiswick

I had a wifi curiosity recently with slow connection, sporadic service and frequent drop-out. This coincided with BT's well-publicised problems with their wifi so I thought nothing about it until it persisted into several days and became annoying.

I switched the router off and on, disconnected unneccessary things, uninstalled browsers, ran virus checks, had another cup of tea - all the usual things - and finally tracked the problem down to my new wireless mouse which was turning out to be a bit of a rat.

Back on a cable, I've all the broadband a girl could want.

Tim is a moderatorPlatinum Member
12 July 2014 18:50
Tim
Model
Tim
East Sussex
Brighton

Quote from marlhamphoto
I had a similar problem with a Netgear router a couple of years ago which left me scratching my head for a bit. Installing the latest firmware fixed it.

I've also come across this before, it might be worth checking if your router has a firmware update available.
many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view

12 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
Sammy_Louise
Colinpierce dirkus draken FlashHarold Hioctane Jan77 jphoto mareeoosh Redbaron viewphotographic
harbourstudio