Reminder Secure

why i tend to post to the other place and what can i do to change that?

This thread is being watched by 1 person
marlham is off-line
08 July 2014 16:32
marlhamphoto
Photographer
This member has been reset to pending
marlhamphoto
Kent
Canterbury

Quote from JenSomerfield
Are we? Other popular sites are run by "photographers" who are dangerous towards models.

Personally I struggle to understand why some people support that site, through their continued membership, despite being aware of this.

jivago Photographic is off-line
08 July 2014 17:13
jivago
Photographer
jivago
Highland
Highlands & Cheshire

Quote from IainT
I don't use facebook personally, but I can see where you are coming from. The main disadvantage this site has over competitors is that I believe it is not the operators main business (appologies if that is incorrect) so they do not have the same time to devote to it as others do. I agree PS is losing ground. That does dissapoint me a lot. I have a lot of loyalty to this site, it has served me very well over the years and the management and moderators have never been anything other than fair and respectful (towards me anyway) and I would love to see changes which revitalise things around here.

I reflect all of that.

http://www.jivagophoto.com/

RKD Photographic is off-line
08 July 2014 17:18
arkady001
Photographer
arkady001
Germany
Iserlohn

Quote from marlhamphoto
Personally I struggle to understand why some people support that site, through their continued membership, despite being aware of this.

Hence attempting to inject new life into the alternatives...

"When I hold a camera, I know no fear..." - Alfred Eisenstadt

08 July 2014 17:32
jivago
Photographer
jivago
Highland
Highlands & Cheshire

Facebook and the similar 'playground-noise' of other sites (Love it - Following-Tag it)  bores me rigid!  - BUT if that is what the market wants then.....We could always have a '9-oclock watershed' after which no 'Love it's' were allowed 

A general point:- Ultimately it is the photographers that pay - They are the 'engine' of the market forces here, not the models. If enough of us continue to support PureStorm then eventually there should be something of a turn-around. Serious pro models will have to pay attention here. If photographers continue to behave like lemmings then this is what you end up with.

Points on Facebook

Pure storm kicks off bad people. Facebook does not by and large.
Facebook provides no Search facility.
Facebook provides no facility to post casting calls - Except to your pals.
This is about photography FFS! if you want to chat to your friends, then got to a bar or have a real party FFS! frown

08 July 2014 17:34
jivago
Photographer
jivago
Highland
Highlands & Cheshire

Quote from marlhamphoto

I only recently became aware of this issue. I think PureStorm kicked that person off?  Hence demonstrating one of the plus points of this site.

Dominic Thurmer is off-linePlatinum Member
10 July 2014 07:13
dominicdgt
Photographer
dominicdgt
Kent
Gillingham

Quote from jivago

Points on Facebook

Pure storm kicks off bad people. Facebook does not by and large.

Facebook provides no Search facility.

Facebook provides no facility to post casting calls - Except to your pals.

This is about photography FFS! if you want to chat to your friends, then got to a bar or have a real party FFS! 

Clearly Facebook can't replace a dedicated photographer/model site, but it can allow me to upload unlimited complete albums, arrange them in any order I like, arrange pictures in albums in any order I want, tag and alert people to view them, send attachments/photos/ideas. Post/send live links, see who we have in common as friends, I can be approached by, fashion designers, musicians, actors, entrepreneurs, all sorts of people who want to employ/use a photographer which is a more realistic business model for most of us. PS can't offer any of has it shown any signs of embracing it. This is 2006-8 technology for portfolio hosting/presentation.

I've noticed over the years though a fairly strong resistance to upgraded change from many here, maybe now it's too little too late?

Dominic

Neil Anderson is off-line
10 July 2014 08:13
stolenfaces
Photographer
stolenfaces
London
West London

Quote from dominicdgt

Clearly Facebook can't replace a dedicated photographer/model site, but it can allow me to upload unlimited complete albums, arrange them in any order I like, arrange pictures in albums in any order I want, tag and alert people to view them, send attachments/photos/ideas. Post/send live links, see who we have in common as friends, I can be approached by, fashion designers, musicians, actors, entrepreneurs, all sorts of people who want to employ/use a photographer which is a more realistic business model for most of us. PS can't offer any of has it shown any signs of embracing it. This is 2006-8 technology for portfolio hosting/presentation.

I've noticed over the years though a fairly strong resistance to upgraded change from many here, maybe now it's too little too late?

Dominic

Clearly you must use a different facebook to the one I use.
The one I use screws up something every couple of days..... They still haven't fixed the stupid update which means page banners are only half displayed on ios devices (although their specified size still applies to computer browsers). Any time spent presenting a professional image on facebook may soon turn out to be totally wasted, but maybe if you are prepared to hand facebook wads of cash you may get some benefits.
Also many people prefer to compartmentalize anything in glamour/nude photography as it may deter potential customers in other fields - and anyway on facebook your photos are limited by the prurience of your followers and 'friends'.

ps But feel free to like my page [Link removed in accordance with 6.1.4 of the Terms of Use]
Like any dealer he was watching for the card that is so high and wild he'll never need to deal another...

Dominic Thurmer is off-linePlatinum Member
10 July 2014 11:29
dominicdgt
Photographer
dominicdgt
Kent
Gillingham

Quote from stolenfaces
Clearly you must use a different facebook to the one I use.

The one I use screws up something every couple of days..... They still haven't fixed the stupid update which means page banners are only half displayed on ios devices (although their specified size still applies to computer browsers). Any time spent presenting a professional image on facebook may soon turn out to be totally wasted, but maybe if you are prepared to hand facebook wads of cash you may get some benefits.

Also many people prefer to compartmentalize anything in glamour/nude photography as it may deter potential customers in other fields - and anyway on facebook your photos are limited by the prurience of your followers and 'friends'.

ps But feel free to like my page [Link removed in accordance with 6.1.4 of the Terms of Use]

I'm not convinced "like" pages are a good means to connect with people unless you have a massive following, for me its 95% more efficient or 95% of where my contacts come from, connections that turn into shoots, On a technical level its never been a problem, I'd say 70-80% of models who connected on P|S when coming back to me do on FB,

I love the way the link was removed, that's soooooooooooooo PS.

Moderator Comment
Management have given consideration to dropping Clause 6.1.4 (as in some ways it might make life easier)
but majority Moderator opinion was that they were uneasy about 'turning a blind eye' to those serious problems which
allowing social networking site linking previously generated and which now seem to have mostly migrated elsewhere.

Neil Anderson is off-line
10 July 2014 12:10
stolenfaces
Photographer
stolenfaces
London
West London

Yes that does show the stupidity of some of the rules here.
Banning facebook personal page links to help models maintain their own safety/privacy is fairly sensible, but banning links to 'pages' is somewhat lacking in logic, and does look antiquated.

So you can go to the same page if you visit www.98wounds.com - which as you'd expect with most websites... has a link to facebook page.
Like any dealer he was watching for the card that is so high and wild he'll never need to deal another...

10 July 2014 15:48
jivago
Photographer
jivago
Highland
Highlands & Cheshire

Quote from dominicdgt
Clearly Facebook can't replace a dedicated photographer/model site, but it can allow me to upload unlimited complete albums, arrange them in any order I like, arrange pictures in albums in any order I want, tag and alert people to view them, send attachments/photos/ideas. Post/send live links, see who we have in common as friends, I can be approached by, fashion designers, musicians, actors, entrepreneurs, all sorts of people who want to employ/use a photographer which is a more realistic business model for most of us. PS can't offer any of has it shown any signs of embracing it. This is 2006-8 technology for portfolio hosting/presentation. I've noticed over the years though a fairly strong resistance to upgraded change from many here, maybe now it's too little too late? Dominic

Goof for you! - But some of us are ambivalent about on-line networking.

20 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
roxsanniebel ryansd
Daddylonglense davidn dorrian imageatthemill Images1854 jccj1 kai_kul lify Mwphotos plymjack powerbook92 Reynard scott24 stevegosh Steveh32 Steveharratt talldave68 wayne