Reminder Secure

why i tend to post to the other place and what can i do to change that?

This thread is being watched by 1 person
David Clic Photography is off-line
06 July 2014 07:14
CLIC_Photography
Photographer
CLIC_Photography
Lincolnshire

ok, first of all i'm not here to knock PS - i've been a paying member for some time now, nor am i here to promote the other place.

So here's my dilemma, i'll just say i'm not chasing 'likes' - i can post on facebook for that, but as an example i posted a new pic on the other place less than 48 hours ago. 45 people have 'loved' the image, 9 people have taken the time to leave feedback. 4 people have added me to a 'want to work with you' list. The pic has been featured in a 'most viewed' gallery which helps get my work seen. i know some of this is just food for the ego but it's also good exposure and networking.

If i now go and post the same pic on here i know exactly what will happen - absolutely nothing! I know because this has happened to the last 5 pics i posted. They are of a reasonable standard but i would be very happy to get criticism if it was constructive, that's how we grow isn't it, but nothing.

So where am i likely to post my next pic? it's obvious really isn't it.

As i say, this is NOT PS bashing, i want to post here, i want feedback and networking, so what can i do to change things? I expect i'll be advised to be more active in the forums etc, but i hardly post on forums over there either.

very interested to hear your thoughts.

david

Gerry is off-line
06 July 2014 07:29
Gerry99111
Photographer
Gerry99111
Surrey
Guildford

You post and invest the most effort where you get the most back? Success breeds success and you invest where it will be of benefit? That is what encourages innovation and change in model sites as paying customers is what makes them worth all the effort in developing the site. Those that can't or wont adapt and evolve will lose out to those that do
If you have to ask why I do it, you will never understand the reason why

marlham is off-line
06 July 2014 07:53
marlhamphoto
Photographer
This member has been reset to pending
marlhamphoto
Kent
Canterbury

If you're chasing views and comments I understand that places like ZENFOLIO will get you millions so long as there's at least a hint of nudity in the images.

If you're craving worthwhile feedback in order to improve then don't make the mistake of assuming that views, likes, comments and 'want to work withs' amount to the same thing. What you need to realise is that most of that guff is produced by people fawning over the model rather than the quality of your photography.

06 July 2014 07:56
CLIC_Photography
Photographer
CLIC_Photography
Lincolnshire

Quote from Gerry99111
You post and invest the most effort where you get the most back? Success breeds success and you invest where it will be of benefit? That is what encourages innovation and change in model sites as paying customers is what makes them worth all the effort in developing the site. Those that can't or wont adapt and evolve will lose out to those that do

Yes gerry, that is indeed what is happening in my case, i just wondered if i could do anything to harbour more interaction on here. I really don't want to give up on PS but some evolution is needed i feel.

Paul Hodson is off-line
06 July 2014 08:07
mph
Photographer
mph
Cheshire
Crewe

Quote from marlhamphoto
................. don't make the mistake of assuming that views, likes, comments and 'want to work withs' amount to the same thing. What you need to realise is that most of that guff is produced by people fawning over the model rather than the quality of your photography.

+1!

You don't often see an FPI of a less than attractive model - and sadly there is no shortage of people "liking" images where their own portfolios indicate that you would be happier if they hadn't!
Amateur - happy to do TF with models with potential and enthusiasm. Website: www.mphodson.co.uk

06 July 2014 08:13
CLIC_Photography
Photographer
CLIC_Photography
Lincolnshire

Quote from marlhamphoto
If you're chasing views and comments I understand that places like ZENFOLIO will get you millions so long as there's at least a hint of nudity in the images.

If you're craving worthwhile feedback in order to improve then don't make the mistake of assuming that views, likes, comments and 'want to work withs' amount to the same thing. What you need to realise is that most of that guff is produced by people fawning over the model rather than the quality of your photography.

i promise i haven't made the mistake of assuming those things amount to the same thing as worthwhile feedback. However, If i get a 'want to work with you' notice then i have successfully networked with a model that otherwise may never have been on my radar. I can choose whether i want to work with them and it may lead to a fruitful, ongoing relationship, or it may not.

As long as i am able to discern what's worthwhile and meaningful from amongst the 'guff' (and i am), then the guff is surely better than what i am getting on PS - nothing.

maybe you can advise how i may get some guff on PS?

jivago Photographic is off-line
06 July 2014 08:27
jivago
Photographer
jivago
Highland
Highlands & Cheshire

Quote from CLIC_Photography
i promise i haven't made the mistake of assuming those things amount to the same thing as worthwhile feedback. However, If i get a 'want to work with you' notice then i have successfully networked with a model that otherwise may never have been on my radar. I can choose whether i want to work with them and it may lead to a fruitful, ongoing relationship, or it may not. As long as i am able to discern what's worthwhile and meaningful from amongst the 'guff' (and i am), then the guff is surely better than what i am getting on PS - nothing. maybe you can advise how i may get some guff on PS?

No Can't & won't - That guff (playground noise) has no interest to me.

Tw*tter maybe?

http://www.jivagophoto.com/

06 July 2014 08:29
CLIC_Photography
Photographer
CLIC_Photography
Lincolnshire

Quote from mph

You don't often see an FPI of a less than attractive model - and sadly there is no shortage of people "liking" images where their own portfolios indicate that you would be happier if they hadn't!

Maybe you would see more FPI's of 'less than attractive' models if people like yourself didn't have comments like this in your bio!
" Attractive faces are a key part of my requirements"

Gerry is off-line
06 July 2014 08:33
Gerry99111
Photographer
Gerry99111
Surrey
Guildford

My last FPI was of a fox [the animal variety not a pretty female]
If you have to ask why I do it, you will never understand the reason why

marlham is off-line
06 July 2014 09:00
marlhamphoto
Photographer
This member has been reset to pending
marlhamphoto
Kent
Canterbury

Quote from Gerry99111
My last FPI was of a fox [the animal variety not a pretty female]

PLEASE tell me you're only kidding...

27 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
chosin Jessicaliu1993 joann2 Lushlolly natpenelope Natural_happy_girl
antoinewynn bayford bob22 clarmike dby47 Don_Dark edwards ImageStyle johnmphoto kai_kul Kjoservices lambiepie71 mlp philippahh pvfb scott24 smphotographic steveh32 stuartnoo totalpics
harbourstudio