Reminder Secure

Adolf Hitler was arrested when the war ended ???

Jonathan is off-line
03 July 2014 14:49
SandyCamel
Photographer
SandyCamel
Nottinghamshire

Please have a look at this article.

Is it just me, or is it stating that he did not commit suicide but was arrested ?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2679618/Hitlers-call-arms-How-Fuhrer-photographer-help-practice-extreme-hand-gestures-body-language.html

Relax, take it easy and float down-stream with the Sandy Camel

desyek is off-line
03 July 2014 14:51
desyek
Photographer
desyek
Mid Glamorgan

"But photographer Mr Hoffman ignored his demands and stored the photographs in his studio until the Fuhrer was arrested at the end of the Second World War."

Typical of the Mail. Remind me, who did they support during that time?
Mr. Jelly! Mr. Jelly! Error at Address Number 6, Treacle Mine Road. Melon melon melon +++ Divide By Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe And Reboot +++ +++Whoops! Here comes the cheese! +++

Paul is off-lineSilver Member
04 July 2014 03:41
DorsetHammer
Photographer
DorsetHammer
Dorset
Christchurch

I think the sub-editor must have taken the day off - Hoffmann was arrested at the end of the war a week after Hitler had killed himself. It was Hoffmann who introduced Hitler to Eva Braun who had been his studio assistant.
It was broken when I got here

Oliver Cook is off-line
04 July 2014 06:37
artistoli
Photographer
artistoli
Malta

Actually there is an awful lot of evidence to suggest to suggest that Hitler did not commit suicide.

1. His remains were never recovered, not even fragments. The skull and bits that the Soviets claimed were his were later proven not to be.
2. At the surrender in May 1945 German forces still controlled much of Bavaria, Austria, the Netherlands, and all of Denmark and Norway, plus pockets in the Baltic states.
3. By the time of the surrender the Germany navy, operating from Denmark and Norway, had some extremely advanced U-boats in service, such as the type XXI amongst others. These were a far cry from the U-boats most people think of and were designed to operate primarily underwater, as opposed to short times underwater and then most on the surface to recharge batteries and make better speed. At the surrender many U-boats were still operating combat patrols, and many U-boats either went missing or showed up in Allied ports a long time after the surrender. Recently records have come to light showing many regular long-range U-boat trips to places as far away as Japan and, interestingly, South America and Antarctica, in the last months of the war in Europe.
4. As for Berlin being surrounded and Hitler trapped. Yes, it is true, the Soviets had got Berlin 'surrounded' during much of the later part of the Battle of Berlin. But until the last few days there were corridors open to German controlled territory in the north and German forces in the north, despite being vastly out-numbered, made continual counter-attacks. Basically the 'net' had big holes in it in the north and west, and many Germans made use of these to get out. Berlin's Templehof airport did not fall until 29th April, and right up until that moment it was operational. Even after Templehof's fall Fieseler Fi 156 'Storch' light aircraft, using their incredible STOL (short take-off and landing) abilities were making flights into and out of central Berlin, landing on short stretches of rubble-strewn streets.
5. For many years before 1945 German corporations were opening subsidiary companies (literally thousands of them) throughout South America, and channelling both funds and personnel into them. They built a vast infrastructure in places like Argentina, Brazil, Chile, Paraguay and Uruguay.

Just saying that it is perfectly plausible that Hitler stayed in Berlin until the last few days, then got out by air at night, was flown to Denmark, where he got on a late model U-boat and went south. I've always thought it doesn't add up that someone as self-obsessed and arrogant as Hitler would 'go down with his ship.' Obviously though it was critical for the Soviets, especially, to portray Hitler as dead and gone. To leave it hanging and unfinished would have been appallingly demoralising for the Soviet nation after such an unbelievably brutal and costly fight.

I think the Daily Mail has just made a typo though and meant the photographer's arrest at the end of WW2.

Jonathan is off-line
04 July 2014 07:43
SandyCamel
Photographer
SandyCamel
Nottinghamshire

" ... I've always thought it doesn't add up that someone as self-obsessed and arrogant as Hitler would 'go down with his ship.' ..."

Me too, which is partly why I found the wording of the Mail article so very interesting.
Relax, take it easy and float down-stream with the Sandy Camel

04 July 2014 08:38
Socialdisaster
Photographer

Ah the mistake here is that you clicked on a dailymail link.
Modesty is just arrogance in stealth mode

KHV is off-line
08 July 2014 05:07
Keltica
Photographer
Keltica
London
London

Oh yes that one, he was actually arrested by Elvis you know...............

19 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
Amazonian_chub BlueRaa77 mandymack OlgaCabaeva
Blancho brendan frankpht freddie geoffmarchant GGDP_Photography gkeesuk karlsheen mg nemesis peacock Peteg RonA thelook tsunamiphotography