Reminder Secure

A 'Nice' Little Camera To Take On My Travels :)

Paul J is off-line
03 July 2014 11:58
Paul_J
Photographer
Paul_J
North Yorkshire
Selby / York

hey, just wondering if anyone would like to contribute a little advice regarding which camera to choose.

i'm looking at buying a small (non dslr) camera that can simply be taken everywhere with me.

the first consideration is budget.  really looking for £300 max (but not bothered if the camera is new or used).  it's really just for the summer so i can't justify spending more.

i've already been looking & either a camera from the samsung nx range or the lumix lx7 with f1.4 lens are what's standing out.

i simply want a sub-£300 that gives pleasing results & is nice to use & own.

contributions, advice & suggestions welcome .....

t.i.a.
..... and your legs are too short, I want a fit bird from the Sunday Sport

redbaron is off-lineSilver Member
03 July 2014 14:53
redbaron
Photographer
redbaron
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

The Fuji X series are getting very good reviews and I have seriously considered getting one with a wide angle lens just to carry around instead of an SLR

Another option to consider is a GoPro Hero3 black, which is probably where I will head soon. With the version 4 due out in October prices are dropping to where you want to be. Of course it is not a still camera strictly speaking but it will shoot 15mp stills if you want. The downside is it is a fixed wide angle lens, no zoom telephotos. On the other hand

* Very small. You could easily chuck it in you pocket and forget about it
* Waterproof to 60m, which is deeper than any holiday scuba diving you are likely to do.
* You can set it up and use an App to operate, view the footage being taken and upload video or stills.
* There are all sorts of mounts available to fix it to helmets bikes surfboards etc
Photography and Studio hire www.immortaleye.co.uk

David J Severn is off-line
03 July 2014 15:43
nikondave
Photographer
nikondave
Derbyshire
Derby

X20 from Fuji gets my vote love mine, but buy a second battery
David J Severn Keeping Life in Focus

alex crawford is off-lineSilver Member
03 July 2014 17:17
alexcrawford
Photographer
alexcrawford
Essex
Chelmsford

i'm using a 100d with a pancake lens for my holiday snaps. no not ideal, but it keeps my options
open, and is small for an slr. the 40mm pancake is a little darling but
the reason i went that route is to keep my lenses available, so i've
always got the option of humping a 70-200 around if the fancy takes me...
all the best, hope you get what you're looking for

alex crawford is off-lineSilver Member
03 July 2014 22:37
alexcrawford
Photographer
alexcrawford
Essex
Chelmsford

i'm using a 100d with a pancake lens for my holiday snaps. no not ideal, but it keeps my options
open, and is small for an slr. the 40mm pancake is a little darling but
the reason i went that route is to keep my lenses available, so i've
always got the option of humping a large but decent 70-200 around if the fancy takes me...
all the best, hope you get what you're looking for

HowardJ is off-line
04 July 2014 01:09
HowardJ
Photographer
HowardJ
Surrey
West Midlands

Fuji X-series. Very compact and the image quality is very good. Get lots of batteries.

Paul Hodson is off-line
04 July 2014 04:28
mph
Photographer
mph
Cheshire
Crewe

Quote from HowardJ
Get lots of batteries.

and then a few more!

Amateur - happy to do TF with models with potential and enthusiasm. Website: www.mphodson.co.uk

Rupert Rudd is off-line
04 July 2014 05:29
RupertRudd
Photographer
RupertRudd
East Yorkshire
Hull

Be sure to choose one with a view finder however simple, they work in holiday sunshine.
And one capable of taking RAWs.

I find my Canon G12 brilliant. Dunno what the current G No is, 15 I think.

In an emergency I bought a Sony HX50 - RupertRudd is a naughty person e. Unusable in sunshine and no RAWs. Good pics tho.
A little help is worth a lot of sympathy.

Anthonygh is off-line
04 July 2014 06:33
anthonyh
Photographer

Kent

Canon G10 if you are happy with a max ISO of 400 and don't want to do action shots. I use mine for landscapes etc and I am still amazed by the detail in an A3 print. Tough as old boots as well....and under £200 (although I read this camera is now sought after and prices might be on the up).

Mike Rhys is off-line
04 July 2014 10:05
tob
Photographer
tob
Germany
Hamburg

Quote from HowardJ
Fuji X-series. Very compact and the image quality is very good. Get lots of batteries.

That's true. I do have a X-20 and this camera is really good for trips.
The only disadvantage is the high battery consume. But with 3 batteries you can usually make a day

15 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
Amazonian_chub AnnThompson bonni_cuffs
Cheshunt83 david1500 dorrian gms gordon Mattcairns modelboutique panda49 Peter_d_photography Spiritofwales steevrosewood Steveharratt