Hi Speed flash sync

This thread is being watched by 1 person
George Swift is off-line
01 July 2014 12:17
gsphoto
Photographer
gsphoto
Tyne and Wear

I remember last year reading about a unit to fit Nikon camera,s that allowed you to shoot above the normal 250th max sync speed using mains flash outdoors.
I can not for the life of me remember the make but remember a photographer testing it on a fashion shoot in Paris!
Does anyone remember or have any idea what i,m talking about?
Thanks in advance,
George.
"if people were meant to be naked, they would have been born that way."

Steven Jardine is off-linePlatinum Member
01 July 2014 13:13
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

Pocket Wizard's TTL triggers can do this using their Hypersync function in two ways.

1 - to actually increase the genuine sync, although this is fully dependent on camera, triggers, lens and flash used and will also require lots of trial & error with setting it up. You may be unfortunate and not gain anything at all, or a best case scenario is that you may double it to around 1/500th.

2 - using it to replicate high speed sync (similar to how speedlites work). For this to work well you need a flash with a flat discharge curve so slower units like Bowens are excellent for this (fast ones like Profoto or Broncolor will likely produce an uneven exposure using this method).
When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. All of your pain is felt by others. The same thing happens when you are stupid.

George Swift is off-line
01 July 2014 13:45
gsphoto
Photographer
gsphoto
Tyne and Wear

Thank you,
Yes iv,e seen the Pocket Wizard as that's what comes up when i Google but its not the one i was thinking about.
I do remember him saying that he lost a little power due to the increase in sync speed!
Regards
George.

Stibnite is off-line
01 July 2014 15:24
Stibnite
Photographer
Stibnite
Suffolk
Bury St Edmunds

There was something from lencarta last year, can't lpaste a link as on my phone but googling lencarta and high speed flash may be the answer you seek

You don't need eyes to see you need vision...........

Chas Bell is off-line
01 July 2014 15:42
BellPortraits
Photographer

East Sussex
Eastbourne

The Nikon speedlites SB600 and upwards will allow hi speed flash sync and can be used on or off camera. There ebooks on Amazon about the creative lighting system

George Swift is off-line
01 July 2014 16:21
gsphoto
Photographer
gsphoto
Tyne and Wear

There was something from lencarta last year, can't lpaste a link as on my phone but googling lencarta and high speed flash may be the answer you seek
Thank you i,ll take a look

The Nikon speedlites SB600 and upwards will allow hi speed flash sync and can be used on or off camera. There ebooks on Amazon about the creative lighting system
I use SB800,s but they are not powerful enough for what i need,
Thank you

Steven Jardine is off-linePlatinum Member
01 July 2014 17:43
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

Quote from gsphoto
I do remember him saying that he lost a little power due to the increase in sync speed! Regards George.

All high speed sync methods will loose power, be it taking a slice of the flash's output (the second point I made earlier) or by strobing the flash (as speedlites do).

There's no substitute for having a faster genuine sync speed which captures the full burst from a flash.
When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. All of your pain is felt by others. The same thing happens when you are stupid.

Jon E is off-line
02 July 2014 11:47
Bayrunner
Photographer
Bayrunner
Devon
Seaton, E Devon.

Quote from Stibnite

I think you mean the Mach 1N, but not sure if it is still available... Garry Edwards at Lencarta will tell you: Phone no on their website

George Swift is off-line
02 July 2014 12:12
gsphoto
Photographer
gsphoto
Tyne and Wear

I think you mean the Mach 1N, but not sure if it is still available... Garry Edwards at Lencarta will tell you: Phone no on their website

Thank you that sounds like the one i was reading about,
Regards
George.

John is off-lineSilver Member
02 July 2014 16:25
ImagoImagery
Photographer
ImagoImagery
County Durham

these are the ones I use, work really well

http://www.lightingrumours.com/feature-guide-to-the-yongnuo-yn-622-for-canon-2672#.U7R4tPldV8E

16 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
Inori Jenny_P_Model rob452 staceyolacey toxicinnocence zavego
63jian AndiCallen copperbronze Gaudinio GGDP_Photography Joolsy modelboutique Rupert simont
Dav2449