This thread is being watched by 2 people
Bill_M is off-line
03 July 2014 16:22
Bill_M
Photographer

Lanarkshire

Quote from dominicdgt
I'm not sure we need to agree, its under £9.00 a month

Just now. Adobe are a ruthless moneygrabbing company who will hike that price hugely as son as they have enough mugs hooked and dependent on it.

Dominic Thurmer is off-linePlatinum Member
03 July 2014 16:42
dominicdgt
Photographer
dominicdgt
Kent
Gillingham

Quote from Bill_M

Just now. Adobe are a ruthless moneygrabbing company who will hike that price hugely as son as they have enough mugs hooked and dependent on it.

The price is fixed for life, providing you signed up by whatever date they offered it to,

Steven Jardine is off-linePlatinum Member
04 July 2014 02:47
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

Quote from dominicdgt
The price is fixed for life, providing you signed up by whatever date they offered it to,

I'd imagine the 'fixed for life' terms are loosely defined.  Certainly I've seen that they will honour the introductory price for renewal after the first year but what's to say that will continue for subsequent years?  Inflation alone dictates that they will need to increase it at some point.

It's still more expensive than physical copies though. As I said in my post on the first page, it costs 2-3x more for the subscription model and I don't like it on principle (much like I'll probably never buy Microsoft Office ever again).  And at least with each new version it was easier to see the improvements/benefits between versions, now it's just a continuous stream of small tweaks (the software I use at work (AutoCAD) is going down that route, disgusting considering it's ~£4000 a seat and updated yearly).
When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. All of your pain is felt by others. The same thing happens when you are stupid.

04 July 2014 03:28
dominicdgt
Photographer
dominicdgt
Kent
Gillingham

Quote from RedChecker
I'd imagine the 'fixed for life' terms are loosely defined.  Certainly I've seen that they will honour the introductory price for renewal after the first year but what's to say that will continue for subsequent years?  Inflation alone dictates that they will need to increase it at some point.

It's still more expensive than physical copies though. As I said in my post on the first page, it costs 2-3x more for the subscription model and I don't like it on principle (much like I'll probably never buy Microsoft Office ever again).  And at least with each new version it was easier to see the improvements/benefits between versions, now it's just a continuous stream of small tweaks (the software I use at work (AutoCAD) is going down that route, disgusting considering it's ~£4000 a seat and updated yearly).

The upgrades don't work like that, the New 2014 CC is a complete system upload running along side the old version, standard updates take place as always, Check the web and you'll see the range of new tools available. Adobe have possibly realised the volume of illegal copies out there mean they need to try to tip the balance with a good offer and I'm sure many have jumped at the chance.

You are talking hard copies but adobe wont support that option as their primary source of supply, the Creative cloud download option seems to be the way forward, so hard copy Vs download is irrelevant if you want the current system.

I'm confident that the offer will stand but guess in 4-5-6 years they wont supply any more updates as they develop a completely new system Creative space rather than cloud and CC/LR become old systems without the features we'll need going in the 2020s!

Malc is off-lineSilver Member
05 July 2014 16:27
cziiki
Photographer
cziiki
London
London

Quote from Bill_M

sounds awful, why on earth would anyone shell out less than the price of a cup of coffee every week to use their extensive toolset of excellent image editing software? beats me.

Steven Jardine is off-linePlatinum Member
06 July 2014 06:05
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

Quote from cziiki
sounds awful, why on earth would anyone shell out less than the price of a cup of coffee every week to use their extensive toolset of excellent image editing software? beats me.

If you previously upgraded every single version then yes, it's a poultry amount.  But for those of us who did it every 2nd/3rd versions we'd only have to buy a cup of coffee every 2/3 weeks, that's one hell of a price jump.  And as I said earlier, it's the principle of being tied down to a perpetual contract I don't like (although sadly there's nothing even remotely close to challenging Photoshop for image editing, if there were I feel this may be a different ball game altogether).
When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. All of your pain is felt by others. The same thing happens when you are stupid.

Paul Hodson is off-line
06 July 2014 06:22
mph
Photographer
mph
Cheshire
Crewe

Quote from RedChecker
If you previously upgraded every single version then yes, it's a poultry amount.

Come on Red - don't chicken out...........................  smiley
Amateur - happy to do TF with models with potential and enthusiasm. Website: www.mphodson.co.uk

06 July 2014 07:42
dominicdgt
Photographer
dominicdgt
Kent
Gillingham

Quote from RedChecker
If you previously upgraded every single version then yes, it's a poultry amount.  But for those of us who did it every 2nd/3rd versions we'd only have to buy a cup of coffee every 2/3 weeks, that's one hell of a price jump.  And as I said earlier, it's the principle of I don't like (although sadly there's nothing even remotely close to challenging Photoshop for image editing, if there were I feel this may be a different ball game altogether).

I really don't understand the point of view, take for example "being tied down to a perpetual contract" You own a digital DSLR that would take more than 20 years + to save up budgeting that £9.00 a month fee. In less than 10 years most of the storage it uses wont be recognised, the cabling will have been discontinued, windows wont understand the picture formatt the features antiquated and the ability to compete greatly diminished, Canon or Nikon as we talk are busy making our systems gradually more and more redundant, ultimately Nikon wont support its lense range as it does, i suspect very few will have the compatibility/optical ability the new generation of cameras require.

I'd express more grief about this dynamic than a ridiculously small factor of using the best editing programme you can buy/rent. If you use windows you are in the same boat, a never ending cycle of upgrades or be left behind while perfectly good equipment becomes harder and harder to instal. Phones, TV everything has a limited lifespan, you seemed to have embraced every aspect of purchasing every piece of camera gear you want (£50-£70K?) this has to be the most ridiculous battle of principles I've ever heard!

21 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
AnnThompson hanmoda2 Henryjohn
antoinewynn bengie Blancho djb1 dorrian eosfan frogley James7799 Kjoservices Ladiesman marty55uk mikehemmings mlp modelboutique neild nickdandalos poah
Dave_1970