Eu defends "your right to disappear"

Andy is off-line
24 June 2014 12:35
photostore
Photographer
photostore
Fife
fife based, but Scotland wide

I heard on the radio the other day of new legislation "a persons right to disappear", basically your right to have anything your not happy with removed from the likes of social media etc and wondered how that may affect photographers, i have a scenario in mind.

you shoot a model and he/ she later decides they  want to "disappear" from the net, she now has the right to have any links to her removed so i ask how does this fit in with a photographers rights to display, use, or sell images from a previously agreed to shoot ?

The conversation with the legal experts on the programme were very close to home indeed, quoting girls who have photos taken and later regret them and want them removed!  even going as far as scenarios we have seen on here or hear about where they "start new relationships and their partners not happy " or  " they dont want reminders of a past life" "impacts upon future employment prospects etc

so any thoughts ? other than "model release" as im unsure which law will have more weight when it starts 
lets get shootin

Steven Jardine is off-linePlatinum Member
24 June 2014 13:38
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

I thought the legislation only applied to results from search engines (eg. Google, Yahoo) when searching for their name, but not individual sites/pages. I may be wrong however.
When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. All of your pain is felt by others. The same thing happens when you are stupid.

Peter Hague is off-line
24 June 2014 13:43
PeterH
Photographer
PeterH
South Yorkshire

I can see both sides of the argument.

Should a kiddy fiddler be allowed to delete their past convictions? No.

Should the woman who was secretly and without her permission photographed and posted on (something like) 'Fat people eating on trains' be allowed to get it removed? Absolutely.

The google thing is a sham anyway. They take it down on google.co.uk, but it's still available via google.com (according to C4 news)
"I am the one who knocks" - Walter White

Oliver Cook is off-line
26 June 2014 07:21
artistoli
Photographer
artistoli
Malta

RedChecker is correct. The new rules only apply to search engines, and then only to those based in the EU. Quite frankly, though I see a certain original logic to it, the whole concept is in practice an obscene waste of resources and efforts. All this will do is create more work (and money) for lawyers and and pen-pushers. It is unworkable and wide open to abuse. Another example where the short-sighted 'me, me, me' attitude of certain elements of society will create a monster that will come back and bit everyone on the ass.

HowardJ is off-line
26 June 2014 15:38
HowardJ
Photographer
HowardJ
Surrey
West Midlands

Except the way Google has implemented it actually makes it clear that some search results have been removed, which means you go look at the link to find the request for the removal of the result. kind of a bit pointless.

http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/2014-06/26/google-search-results-removed

Moorlane is off-line
28 June 2014 03:03
Moorlane
Photographer

Greater Manchester

This is great news for the lawyers indeed

Moorlane is off-line
28 June 2014 03:03
Moorlane
Photographer

Greater Manchester

This is great news for the lawyers indeed

29 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
ally_1 Domino georgiaiaxo jessicatx089 Lilly_69 satrina
2webmedia Blancho BOBREEVES borojohn chrisfrancis18 clarmike edb ElegantCaptures Essexjohn FlashHarold johnwoodphotography jonnar42 Matt1988 mlp modelboutique ownimage read Redbaron Studio1 talldave68 Thorp TonyHazell
harbourstudio