Reminder Secure

Nikon D4 budget wifi

23 June 2014 09:23
markyboy
Photographer

After breaking the bank buying the D4 im now looking for cheap alternative to the way over priced Nikon WT5 wifi unit.I wouldnt use the unit enough to warrant the price,so if anyone has any ideas it would be greatly appreciated.

panda49 is off-line
23 June 2014 09:59
panda49
Photographer

London
London/Birmingham

eye fi cards the answer better than the overpriced Nikon wifi and a good SD card

23 June 2014 10:11
markyboy
Photographer

thanks panda49 much appreciated.Unfortunately the D4 doesnt use SD cards so i will have to see if anyone makes a eyefi compact flash card.I cant beleive its so difficult to find a simple wifi transmitter just to send raw files to my PC and thats all i want to do.

Steven Jardine is off-linePlatinum Member
23 June 2014 10:33
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

Quote from markyboy
I cant beleive its so difficult to find a simple wifi transmitter just to send raw files to my PC and thats all i want to do.

The cynic in me says they make it difficult because of the expensive transmitters (I'm a Canon owner and they suffer the same cost problems).  Profit & sales & all that jazz.

Sending RAW files over wireless will consume comparitively excessive amounts of power though and will also be comparitively slow, espeicilly if you get an Eye-Fi card  (Wireless is, IMO best reserved for reduced quality JPGs for simple review while shooting).

Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't the D4 have a gigabit ethernet port?  Either get a cheap (but long) cable and hook-up directly (wrap the cable around the grip so that if you 'tug' it, it doesn't bust the connection socket) or looking at some sort of wireless bridge solution may be the answer (you can get battery-operated ones that may be able to go on your belt).

When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. All of your pain is felt by others. The same thing happens when you are stupid.

panda49 is off-line
23 June 2014 12:28
panda49
Photographer

London
London/Birmingham

Been using WiFi pro for raw transfer on Eos1dMkIV for ages and find it ideal and no messy cables to trip over

10 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
missloulou NatashaAston
analog carshaltonkev empire17 FusionImages JohnDentonPhoto redtail Steveh32 woody