Reminder Secure

What Happened Next..

12 June 2014 06:18
paule
Photographer

I took a hilarious.. if expensive dunking in a duck pond the other day.. shooting a wedding, fortunately it was very late in the day… All the photos survived..

Duck Pond Dunking

The last shot from my trusty D700... it must have known it was heading for the great duckpond in the garden....

Bride wanted a group photo on the balcony and I wandered, absent mindedly, back to imagine the scene.. splash.. everything under water: D700, D800 5 lenses & 2 flashes.. 

D700 & D800 are toast as is SB900.. 24-70 2.8 is very much worse for wear rubber grips are off and it now grinds a bit roughly when used… still works though… but for how long.. SB900 squeals..3 of the other lenses and an SB700 were in a ‘reporter’ style bag.. all submerged however all look OK..

I’ve the insurance assassinator coming round soon… I want the D700 & D800 (6 months old) plus SB900 & 24-70 replaced as a minimum.. however the other kit, esp the lenses, £1500 worth, could moss / fungus up in months and years to come and so be useless… I wonder how knowledgeable the assessor is of photographic kit..

marlham is off-line
12 June 2014 08:29
marlhamphoto
Photographer
This member has been reset to pending
marlhamphoto
Kent
Canterbury

OMG - you better pray the videographer didn't capture it otherwise you'll be all over YT and FB

Hope it goes well with the insurers and you're able to replace the kit speedily.

w4pictures is off-line
12 June 2014 16:42
w4pictures
Photographer
w4pictures
London
Chiswick

Brilliant! What did you say as you clambered out?

Paul Hodson is off-line
13 June 2014 01:10
mph
Photographer
mph
Cheshire
Crewe

Bother?
Amateur - happy to do TF with models with potential and enthusiasm. Website: www.mphodson.co.uk

13 June 2014 04:19
paule
Photographer

I was too busy telling them I was fine.. if a little damp: full on dunking..

Well the insurance assessor visited.. 'I don't know anything about photographic equipment.. you'll need to get the lens assessed..' I thought that was his job.. hmm.. not impressed..

Steven Jardine is off-linePlatinum Member
13 June 2014 04:43
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

Quote from paule
Well the insurance assessor visited.. 'I don't know anything about photographic equipment.. you'll need to get the lens assessed..' I thought that was his job.. hmm.. not impressed..

What's the point in sending someone out if they don't know about the equipment they're assessing?  Sounds like you'll be going around in circles for quite a while with this.

Is this a dedicated photgraphic insurance company?  If so, which one?
When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. All of your pain is felt by others. The same thing happens when you are stupid.

Peter Hague is off-line
13 June 2014 05:04
PeterH
Photographer
PeterH
South Yorkshire

Quote from paule
I was too busy telling them I was fine.. if a little damp: full on dunking.. Well the insurance assessor visited.. 'I don't know anything about photographic equipment.. you'll need to get the lens assessed..' I thought that was his job.. hmm.. not impressed..

They sent a TV repairman to assess my camera. He had the same attitude, luckily he just asked and wrote down my assessment and valuation under the "I don't care, I get paid anyway" way of doing business.
"I am the one who knocks" - Walter White

Paul Hodson is off-line
13 June 2014 09:54
mph
Photographer
mph
Cheshire
Crewe

Quote from paule
I was too busy telling them I was fine.. if a little damp: full on dunking.. Well the insurance assessor visited.. 'I don't know anything about photographic equipment.. you'll need to get the lens assessed..' I thought that was his job.. hmm.. not impressed..

I suppose they can't have someone who is an expert in everything (assuming a general insurance company)

I would think it puts you in a decent position to find someone who is happy to confirm that dunking a bag full of lenses in water ain't going to do them any good!

Amateur - happy to do TF with models with potential and enthusiasm. Website: www.mphodson.co.uk

13 June 2014 10:31
Nick_Edinburgh
Photographer

I had a camera-meets-river incident a couple of years back, and wasn't insured. Luckily had naked model handy to fish it out, but too late to be saved.

I wonder if this: http://www.reviveaphone.com as seen on Dragon's Den might have done the job. The idea is that it's not the water that does the damage, but the minerals left behind when dry. Any thoughts anyone?

14 June 2014 08:47
paule
Photographer

I've sent my main bits of damaged kit to Nikon... I'm quite sure they'll just state: beyond economic repair.. which is the kind of statement the assessor said he required...

I went through Morgan Richardson, broker.. and the policy is with Zurich.. so far, I've done all the ringing around and they are no help at all..

Yeah, how unimpressed was I that the assessor they sent.. was not able to assess what he'd been sent to view.. he said a note from a local camera shop would be fine.. which I thought was poor, and so I sent them to Nikon..

32 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
CJ2015B ElleLaura evajohnson MissCaraJane QueenDeeVa01 Sammy_Louise
BOBREEVES chicimages clearview_photography copperbronze Daveinsurrey goZzee headshots hylander JRFox Kjoservices Matt1988 mikehemmings modelboutique moritz78 myp55 Opalapertures orca_photography redbaron snappychap stevegosh Stevew1 Stoker thelook TinDolls TonyB
matt