HowardJ is off-line
06 June 2014 17:33
HowardJ
Photographer
HowardJ
Surrey
West Midlands

Quote from ChazPhotos

Also do you think any bank would have been using 70 or 80's software in 1999?

Yep, they were.

Neil Anderson is off-line
06 June 2014 18:38
stolenfaces
Photographer
stolenfaces
London
West London

Quote from ChazPhotos

Where have I said I was writing software? got wrong person here. Also do you think any bank would have been using 70 or 80's software in 1999? may be you replied to the wrong person

So your view is not based on anything more factual than your own limited experiences of software written in the late 90s.
People like Nation Grid were certainly running software written in the 70s/80s as late as 1998 (when the electricity market opened to competition). When they build Nuclear Power stations the control systems and communication systems are are not made to be replaced every time there is a new version of windows.

Like any dealer he was watching for the card that is so high and wild he'll never need to deal another...

EdT is off-line
07 June 2014 04:40
EdT
Photographer
EdT
Cambridgeshire

Quote from HowardJ

Yep, they were.

As were many other industries. I remember when I asked about the year 2000 I was told, "do you believe this software will still be running in 20 years". Sure enough ... it was.

07 June 2014 04:57
pmeu
Photographer

Quote from ChazPhotos

I think the main point here is fresh out of Uni.... You where young and follow orders. The department wanted to look good

Well I'm not young or green anymore and my opinion hasn't changed because the problem was so obvious. As SF points out, the original software used the last two digits of years to save incredibly valuable space at the time the software was written. This was an entirely understandable approach.

Any programme that sorted dates (and virtually all the bank software did) using this approach would have led to errors as soon as the year switched from 99 to 00. You really don't need to be a rocket scientist to see that. The solution was simply to identify any software that used two digit years and update it such that it used 4 digit years. Time consuming but an easy solution and absolutely clearly vital. If it hadn't been done all hell would have broken loose in this particular case. Although my experience was limited to this particular bank (and actually also some knowledge of the world's fav airline systems too) I would be amazed if other large organisations hadn't faced exactly the same problem. And I wouldn't be at all surprised if that software is *still* being used today. Unless there is a very compelling and urgent reason to update software (or hardware) then private companies would be reluctant to undergo go what would be a massive massive expense to change it? Didn't RBS admit to using 1960's hardware and software when their systems all went down a year or two ago? (which is what would've happened to the bank I worked for)

You are correct that software written in the 90s shouldn't have faced that issue as there was less need to take such short-cuts as memory constraints weren't so binding, plus the software writers should have had be a reasonable expectation that the software would be being used at the turn of that century. So ok some Y2k solutions on offer for new systems and software were indeed a con and exploited the situation I won't dispute that ... but to suggest that the Y2k problem as a whole was a con or a fuss about nothing is, in my opinion, extremely misguided. Instead, as a whole, the efforts taken to avoid the problem were a huge success story ... possibly more thanks to the problem and solutions being rather obvious (and tedious) than the fuss that was caused.

21 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
BlueLah bonni_cuffs ElleLaura JodieEllen Satrina
bbphotos BOBREEVES clearview_photography david1500 dby47 eosfan hylander James7799 jpegster keltica peteb Photojames43 Reynard Rhadamanthus swalsh58 xposed