This thread is being watched by 1 person
Tony Stephenson is off-line
04 June 2014 08:16
tonycsm
Photographer
tonycsm
East Yorkshire
Driffield

I'm just wondering which software the alleged fraudsters who are putting out the malware are using for their online protection?

I want that one!
www.le-femme.co.uk

Chaz is off-line
04 June 2014 08:47
ChazPhotos
Photographer
ChazPhotos
Devon
Cullompton

I remember being told all computers would stop at midnight on 31/12/1999.
It was a great way to sell programs that would stop it happening to you, I did not buy anything and nothing happened

Neil Anderson is off-line
04 June 2014 08:58
stolenfaces
Photographer
stolenfaces
London
West London

Quote from tonycsm
I'm just wondering which software the alleged fraudsters who are putting out the malware are using for their online protection?

I want that one!

I think they won't use windows... Probably Linux
Like any dealer he was watching for the card that is so high and wild he'll never need to deal another...

Tony Stephenson is off-line
04 June 2014 09:41
tonycsm
Photographer
tonycsm
East Yorkshire
Driffield

I'm just waiting for the conspiracy theorists to come out with the idea that it's really a secret plot by the CIA/FBI to get everyone to panic and download their 'doctored' virus protection software so that they can moniitor us even more!sad
www.le-femme.co.uk

Profile Pictures is off-line
04 June 2014 09:48
profilepictures
Photographer
profilepictures
Suffolk
Bury St Edmunds

^ You really don't need to touch upon conspiracy theory to be appalled at the information being harvested daily about us all, the facts suffice. Interestingly now I see Facebook and various apps are requiring access to your telephone microphone as and when they choose too.

06 June 2014 14:32
pmeu
Photographer

Quote from ChazPhotos
I remember being told all computers would stop at midnight on 31/12/1999.
It was a great way to sell programs that would stop it happening to you, I did not buy anything and nothing happened

* sigh * the main reason why there wasn't a huge crash was because of all the hard work that was taken to update quite old software programmes that clearly would have crashed had they not been altered. I was fairly fresh out of university and one of my first jobs was working as a programmer for a well known bank to check their Cobol programmes and make the necessary changes which almost exclusively meant updating software from using the last 2 digits of a year to all 4 digits in a year. It was dull undemanding work for which they paid a pittance. Nevertheless had this work not been done then any task that involved comparing dates (and there were lots and lots of them) would have caused quite serious errors and it hardly takes any brain cells to see that. That it all went smoothly was testament to a job well done (and also due to the fact it was as easy as easy can be to spot where the problems actually were and how to solve them.

But you're right, we shouldn't have bothered and took our chances and just kept our fingers crossed that nothing important like banks or hospitals or power grids still ran using software built when saving a few bytes here and there were almost necessary programming techniques.

Chaz is off-line
06 June 2014 15:16
ChazPhotos
Photographer
ChazPhotos
Devon
Cullompton

Quote from pmeu

* sigh * the main reason why there wasn't a huge crash was because of all the hard work that was taken to update quite old software programmes that clearly would have crashed had they not been altered. I was fairly fresh out of university and one of my first jobs was working as a programmer for a well known bank to check their Cobol programmes and make the necessary changes which almost exclusively meant updating software from using the last 2 digits of a year to all 4 digits in a year. It was dull undemanding work for which they paid a pittance. Nevertheless had this work not been done then any task that involved comparing dates (and there were lots and lots of them) would have caused quite serious errors and it hardly takes any brain cells to see that. That it all went smoothly was testament to a job well done (and also due to the fact it was as easy as easy can be to spot where the problems actually were and how to solve them.

But you're right, we shouldn't have bothered and took our chances and just kept our fingers crossed that nothing important like banks or hospitals or power grids still ran using software built when saving a few bytes here and there were almost necessary programming techniques.

I think the main point here is fresh out of Uni.... You where young and follow orders. The department wanted to look good
I feel many fell for this as companys where making a killing out of this selling software to put it right and selling updated software. It was not just computer that was going to stop but lifts and ATM's even washing machine with any timers in them, it was a list with everything electronic in them.
Not one bit of my software was changed nor my OS
I have to say over my life time many reports like this come and go with out a hitch...

Neil Anderson is off-line
06 June 2014 15:59
stolenfaces
Photographer
stolenfaces
London
West London

Quote from ChazPhotos

I think the main point here is fresh out of Uni.... You where young and follow orders. The department wanted to look good
I feel many fell for this as companys where making a killing out of this selling software to put it right and selling updated software. It was not just computer that was going to stop but lifts and ATM's even washing machine with any timers in them, it was a list with everything electronic in them.
Not one bit of my software was changed nor my OS
I have to say over my life time many reports like this come and go with out a hitch...

So were you writing software in the 70's and 80's for big utilities and banks ?
Generally software less than 10 years old was written with the millennium in mind and anyway dates were all held as full dates by the 90's, but when people wrote programs on machines the size of a bedsit which had 32kb (that's kb) of memory ( and 60mb were the biggest hard disks) we didn't have bits to play with and never thought the software would still be running at the millennium.

Like any dealer he was watching for the card that is so high and wild he'll never need to deal another...

Chaz is off-line
06 June 2014 16:05
ChazPhotos
Photographer
ChazPhotos
Devon
Cullompton

Quote from stolenfaces

So were you writing software in the 70's and 80's for big utilities and banks ?
Generally software less than 10 years old was written with the millennium in mind and anyway dates were all held as full dates by the 90's, but when people wrote programs on machines the size of a bedsit which had 32kb (that's kb) of memory ( and 60mb were the biggest hard disks) we didn't have bits to play with and never thought the software would still be running at the millennium.

Where have I said I was writing software? got wrong person here. Also do you think any bank would have been using 70 or 80's software in 1999? may be you replied to the wrong person

HowardJ is off-line
06 June 2014 17:31
HowardJ
Photographer
HowardJ
Surrey
West Midlands

OMG we're all going to die!

What a load of rubbish. It's all just scare tactics.

Y2K was way over hyped too. Many companies didn't bother updating their software and it was fine. Software companies were just using it as a cash cow and milking it for everything they could get.

0 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators