This thread is being watched by 1 person
Andy is off-line
02 June 2014 11:27
photostore
Photographer
photostore
Fife
fife based, but Scotland wide

just saw on Sky news today a dept of justice briefing that they are warning everyone of a major attck within a fortnight from a powerful computer virus? over the weekend the dept disrupted two major players in cyber crime "game over zues and cryptolocker"
So i guess they are expecting major repercussions because of it, 

lets get shootin

Neil Anderson is off-line
02 June 2014 11:47
stolenfaces
Photographer
stolenfaces
London
West London

It seems they are saying that you have two weeks before the criminals get control of the botnetwork back, so if your machine is infected you can clean it out during that time.
[edit: Just heard Radio 4 explain it just like this]

The Guardian website says:
"Digital police from across the globe have claimed success in disrupting a criminal operation running one of the most aggressive computer viruses ever seen, known as Cryptolocker.

The UK's National Crime Agency (NCA) has warned British internet users that they have a two-week window to protect themselves from the malware, after working with the FBI, Europol and other law enforcement bodies to weaken the global network of infected computers.

"By making use of this two-week window, huge numbers of people in the UK can stop that from happening to them. Whether you find online security complicated or confusing, or simply haven’t thought about keeping your personal or office computers safe for a while, now is the time to take action."

and the BBC website says much the same
Like any dealer he was watching for the card that is so high and wild he'll never need to deal another...

CGW is off-line
02 June 2014 15:13
cgwebster
Photographer
cgwebster
Hampshire
Basingstoke

CERT has a list of free scanners here:

http://www.us-cert.gov/ncas/alerts/TA14-150A

Tony Stephenson is off-line
03 June 2014 15:34
tonycsm
Photographer
tonycsm
East Yorkshire
Driffield

A Question for the software experts:

I have only been using Microsoft Security Essentials since I built this computer nearly 2 1/2 years ago and so far I've never had any virus infections.

I've just downloaded their latest update and currently running a full scan (which has been running now for over an hour and could take two more at this rate) although an earlier quick scan revealed no problems.

The question is...is this sufficient protection or do I need to download and install one of the proprietary virus protection programs for added security or will MSE suffice?
www.le-femme.co.uk

Profile Pictures is off-line
03 June 2014 16:39
profilepictures
Photographer
profilepictures
Suffolk
Bury St Edmunds

Wouldn't it be great to just turn the bloody things off? That'd profilepictures is a naughty person off the criminal criminals and governmental criminals at the same time.

w4pictures is off-line
03 June 2014 17:29
w4pictures
Photographer
w4pictures
London
Chiswick

Quote from tonycsm
A Question for the software experts: I have only been using Microsoft Security Essentials since I built this computer nearly 2 1/2 years ago and so far I've never had any virus infections. I've just downloaded their latest update and currently running a full scan (which has been running now for over an hour and could take two more at this rate) although an earlier quick scan revealed no problems. The question is...is this sufficient protection or do I need to download and install one of the proprietary virus protection programs for added security or will MSE suffice?

I'm no expert, but it seems that the most prudent thing to do is back up your data.

From what I've read, by the time this thing has installed itself, your virus scanner won't work because your files will already be encrypted. The BBC says that it usually arrives via the opening of attachments or the clicking on links in emails that look official.

I'm sure someone who knows will be along shortly. In the meantime, annoying though it is, I'll buy yet another drive and make sure its unplugged from the computer unless I'm actually backing up.

03 June 2014 18:00
tonycsm
Photographer
tonycsm
East Yorkshire
Driffield

Quote from w4pictures
I'm no expert, but it seems that the most prudent thing to do is back up your data.

From what I've read, by the time this thing has installed itself, your virus scanner won't work because your files will already be encrypted. The BBC says that it usually arrives via the opening of attachments or the clicking on links in emails that look official.

I'm sure someone who knows will be along shortly. In the meantime, annoying though it is, I'll buy yet another drive and make sure its unplugged from the computer unless I'm actually backing up.

I have several backup drives and frequently back up my files so I'm not too bothered about that side of things - in fact it will be done again tonight.

I'm mostly concerned that Microsoft Security Essentials is up to providing sufficient protection for this alleged new threat?

The full in-depth MSE scan I ran tonight actually highlighted some suspect Java files so I allowed it to delete them just to be sure.
www.le-femme.co.uk

Neil Anderson is off-line
03 June 2014 19:22
stolenfaces
Photographer
stolenfaces
London
West London

It's not a new threat, it's been around for a while.
Apparently MSE should be reasonably ok for protecting as long as you are careful....according to this found by googling:
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/mse-protect_scanning/is-ms-security-essentials-protecting-against/057ba134-d010-4b7a-b820-7b2b1a5b0689

Like any dealer he was watching for the card that is so high and wild he'll never need to deal another...

04 June 2014 02:31
tonycsm
Photographer
tonycsm
East Yorkshire
Driffield

Quote from stolenfaces
It's not a new threat, it's been around for a while. Apparently MSE should be reasonably ok for protecting as long as you are careful....according to this found by googling: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/mse-protect_scanning/is-ms-security-essentials-protecting-against/057ba134-d010-4b7a-b820-7b2b1a5b0689

Cheers SF...

Slightly reassuring but I don't think any single anti-xxx  program will protect you from everything nasty out there so you're right, care is what it's about when opening any link.

www.le-femme.co.uk

goshsteve is off-lineSilver Member
04 June 2014 03:00
stevegosh
Photographer

Hampshire

3 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
Hazy Robinsky supernova