Reminder Secure

A question for Mac owners regarding old/obsolete peripherals...

Steven Jardine is off-linePlatinum Member
02 June 2014 01:58
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

I'm getting increasing annoyed with PC based hardware becoming obsolete with each subsequent release of Windows.  I've got printers, scanners, calibrators etc. that will not function with several of the newer OS and the only solution is to buy them again, only to become obsolete with the next Windows (apparently it's due to each version having a complete re-write of its driver system).  It's sad, annoying, and utterly wasteful when I have perfectly good hardware that's effectively destined for the scrapheap.

Is this the same with Macs when each subsequent Mac OS comes out?

Ideally I'd like to hear from people who've used Macs for 10-15 years and have upgraded to newer OS several times.
When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. All of your pain is felt by others. The same thing happens when you are stupid.

G Jack B is off-line
02 June 2014 02:52
Plymjack
Photographer
Plymjack
Devon
Plymouth

California law apparently states that a company has to support hardware for a minimum of 7 years. (unless the company goes broke). I believe this is the only place in the world with such laws.

However to be fair to manufacturers it is the interfacing that changes eg serial to USB, or vga to digital, scart to hdmi etc - and it is change that generates income so it is unavoidable.

I understand the original Apple phones are no longer supported as they are now 7 years old. So I don't think it is just Microsoft.
Real Bread Cook by day, BTL landlord & IT Guru - who said men can't multitask!

02 June 2014 02:57
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

I've had a quick gander and my scanner (compatible up to Vista) & colour calibrator (compatible up to Win 7) are both still supported under Mac OS X. Both are USB so it's not as if it's a change of interface. I can't remember the model numbers of my printers at the minute but I'll check them later.

I recall some years ago that my two-year old HP printer wouldn't be supported under Vista when it came out (HP's stance was that they only support devices during a current OS lifecycle, this happened when Vista came out and seems to have been policy ever since).
When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. All of your pain is felt by others. The same thing happens when you are stupid.

Dave Beasley is off-line
02 June 2014 04:18
eosfan
Photographer
eosfan
Surrey
Guildford

I've had a Mac laptop for about 7 years now and a MacPro desktop for about 6 years (although now using a 2010 model) and have never had any problems. Biggest issue was when Mac changed processor type from RISC to Intel a few years back, but even that wasn't too disastrous.

Dave

Neil Anderson is off-line
02 June 2014 05:46
stolenfaces
Photographer
stolenfaces
London
West London

Windows 8 actually includes basic drivers for many printers and scanners.
My 2002 epson scanner works fine on windows 8 using windows included driver.
And there is always vuescan which even claims to support scsi scanners going back to my old (20 years ?) Agfa Arcus II on windows, mac and linux. It certainly works well with my Minolta Elite II film scanner (which seems to date from around 2002) on Windows 7.
Like any dealer he was watching for the card that is so high and wild he'll never need to deal another...

G Jack B is off-line
02 June 2014 07:20
Plymjack
Photographer
Plymjack
Devon
Plymouth

A lot of printers are supported using the "generic" driver. Certainly Windows 7 a lot of scanners were not supported - but again Im not sure this was not just the other manufacturers not wanting to re write drivers for older hardware - so you can buy newer ones!

Interesting a lot of hi-fi companies are moving over to digital only systems so older "phono" inputs are not directly supported. New TVs no longer come with Scart connectors so older video recorders etc will not be supported.

Its progress (some would say!)
Real Bread Cook by day, BTL landlord & IT Guru - who said men can't multitask!

02 June 2014 07:33
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

Quote from Plymjack
Interesting a lot of hi-fi companies are moving over to digital only systems so older "phono" inputs are not directly supported.

Tell me about it.

I've got a superb Yamaha 7.1 amplifier (with 1080i/720P component input/output) but it was bought just before HDMI became a thing and it's becoming increasingly difficult to get connections to it for the surround sound although a newly purchased HDMI switchbox with SPDIF output has recently saved the day.

Even flagship players from the likes of Denon, Marantz, Onkyo and Yamaha are lacking in analogue output and it's now seemingly impossible to output high resolution audio (say from BR or SACD) unless you're using DRM-enabled HDMI connections to the amplifiers.

On the plus side though... cable manufacturers can no longer sell snake oil with digital interconnects being cheap, certified and have error-correction technology built in.

02 June 2014 07:42
Nick_Edinburgh
Photographer

As a general rule, Mac stuff goes obsolete much less. I'm still using peripherals from more than a decade ago, and in over twenty years I've yet to have to upgrade any physical technology due to OS changes.

Simon Chan is off-line
02 June 2014 13:25
Chandos
Photographer

Merseyside
Liverpool

I sometimes get people complaining of printers and scanners not working because the computer is upgraded from XP to Windows 7. Most of the times I get them to work even though the manufacturer has not released a driver for Windows 7. Takes some handcrafting that comes with experience.

Hugh is off-lineGold Member
02 June 2014 14:02
Hugh
Photographer
Hugh
Dyfed
Aberystwyth

Mac OS upgrades don't always work too well with expensive Epson printers

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4994361?tstart=0

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?topic=56095.0
It's not Fine Art just because it's in Black and White.

6 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
Nic_n_katie
dazglam jbwalton jeffsham jsp murdomcd